Q: HOWTO: install a gem using rake?

Jeremy Henty

12/17/2008 4:53:00 PM

Is there a standard way to write a gem install task if you build it
with GemPackageTask? AFAICT GemPackageTask doesn't supply one which
surprises me a little. I use 'sh "gem install ..."' and I'm worried
about how portable it is.

(BTW, would this be an appropriate question for the rake-devel list?
If so then I'll sign up.)

Thanks,

Jeremy Henty
2 Answers

aldric[removeme]

Jeremy Henty wrote:
> Is there a standard way to write a gem install task if you build it
> with GemPackageTask? AFAICT GemPackageTask doesn't supply one which
> surprises me a little. I use 'sh "gem install ..."' and I'm worried
> about how portable it is.
>
> (BTW, would this be an appropriate question for the rake-devel list?
> If so then I'll sign up.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeremy Henty

Surrounding a command with backticks sends it out to the OS.
e.g. `ping localhost`

HTH,

--Aldric

Jeremy Henty

On 2008-12-17, Aldric Giacomoni <"aldric[remove]"@trevoke.net> wrote:
> Jeremy Henty wrote:
>> I use 'sh "gem install ..."' and I'm worried about how portable it
>> is.
>>
> Surrounding a command with backticks sends it out to the OS.
> e.g. `ping localhost`

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that this "sh" is a Rake method that
does (I imagine) pretty much the same thing as backticks. The
Rakefiles of other gems often use more complicated constructions
involving Gem::RUBY etc. and I wonder if this is to make things more
portable. Sadly I can't Google up anything that says "the right way
to do it is ... and here's why". It seems that most people bake
their own solution without giving their reasons. Unless I'm missing
something, of course.

Regards,

Jeremy Henty