About qt4-ruby

Magicloud Magiclouds

Today I compiled qt4-ruby in my rhel5 box. And have a little test.
Well, when the .rb runs, it says something wrong from qtruby4.so,
libsmokeqt.so.2 does not have symbol of _ZN8QWebView11qt_metacastEPKc.
I recompiled qt4 with -webkit option, and qt4-ruby. Not helping.

4 Answers

Stefano Crocco

Alle Wednesday 17 December 2008, Magicloud ha scritto:
> Hi,
> Today I compiled qt4-ruby in my rhel5 box. And have a little test.
> Well, when the .rb runs, it says something wrong from qtruby4.so,
> libsmokeqt.so.2 does not have symbol of _ZN8QWebView11qt_metacastEPKc.
> I recompiled qt4 with -webkit option, and qt4-ruby. Not helping.

It's smoke which doesn't have the symbol, not qt itself, so you'll need to
recompile smoke, and maybe also qtruby itself too.

Stefano

Magicloud Magiclouds

Stefano Crocco wrote:
> Alle Wednesday 17 December 2008, Magicloud ha scritto:
>
>> Hi,
>> Today I compiled qt4-ruby in my rhel5 box. And have a little test.
>> Well, when the .rb runs, it says something wrong from qtruby4.so,
>> libsmokeqt.so.2 does not have symbol of _ZN8QWebView11qt_metacastEPKc.
>> I recompiled qt4 with -webkit option, and qt4-ruby. Not helping.
>>

> It's smoke which doesn't have the symbol, not qt itself, so you'll need to
> recompile smoke, and maybe also qtruby itself too.
>
> Stefano

So may I know how to compile smoke? I read smoke/README, and ran the
four commands in it, which gave me a new libsmokeqt.so, which still does
not work.

Stefano Crocco

Alle Thursday 18 December 2008, Magicloud ha scritto:
> Stefano Crocco wrote:
> > Alle Wednesday 17 December 2008, Magicloud ha scritto:
> >> Hi,
> >> Today I compiled qt4-ruby in my rhel5 box. And have a little test.
> >> Well, when the .rb runs, it says something wrong from qtruby4.so,
> >> libsmokeqt.so.2 does not have symbol of _ZN8QWebView11qt_metacastEPKc.
> >> I recompiled qt4 with -webkit option, and qt4-ruby. Not helping.
> >
> > It's smoke which doesn't have the symbol, not qt itself, so you'll need
> > to recompile smoke, and maybe also qtruby itself too.
> >
> > Stefano
>
> So may I know how to compile smoke? I read smoke/README, and ran the
> four commands in it, which gave me a new libsmokeqt.so, which still does
> not work.

If you mean the commands:

cd qt
/qtguess.pl
/generate.pl
make

they're not enough. As the README states, they're only to generate the .cpp
files. What you need is the following:
* go in the top level directory of qtruby
* mkdir build
* cd build
* cmake ..
* make
* sudo make install

This will install qtruby4 in /usr/local (excluding the ruby bindings
themselves, which will be installed in /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8 (or
something like this, depending on whether ruby itself is installed). If you
want to install it somewhere else, replace the cmake .. command with

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/path/to/install/dir ..

I think this should solve your problem. If you have other questions about
qtruby, you can post them in the qtruby forum, which you can find at
http://rubyforge.org/project..., where you'll be more likely to get an
answer (and a better one, too, since there questions are answered by the
developers themselves).

I hope this helps

Stefano

Magicloud Magiclouds

Stefano Crocco wrote:
> Alle Thursday 18 December 2008, Magicloud ha scritto:
>
>> Stefano Crocco wrote:

>>> It's smoke which doesn't have the symbol, not qt itself, so you'll need
>>> to recompile smoke, and maybe also qtruby itself too.
>>>
>>> Stefano
>>>
>> So may I know how to compile smoke? I read smoke/README, and ran the
>> four commands in it, which gave me a new libsmokeqt.so, which still does
>> not work.
>>

> If you mean the commands:
>
> cd qt
> ./qtguess.pl
> ./generate.pl
> make
>
> they're not enough. As the README states, they're only to generate the .cpp
> files. What you need is the following:
> * go in the top level directory of qtruby
> * mkdir build
> * cd build
> * cmake ..
> * make
> * sudo make install
>
> This will install qtruby4 in /usr/local (excluding the ruby bindings
> themselves, which will be installed in /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8 (or
> something like this, depending on whether ruby itself is installed). If you
> want to install it somewhere else, replace the cmake .. command with
>
> cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/path/to/install/dir ..
>
> I think this should solve your problem. If you have other questions about
> qtruby, you can post them in the qtruby forum, which you can find at
> http://rubyforge.org/project..., where you'll be more likely to get an
> answer (and a better one, too, since there questions are answered by the
> developers themselves).
>
> I hope this helps
>
> Stefano

I used kdebindings instead of qt4-ruby, everything is fine now.
Thanks.