Blur on transparent images with RMagick

August Lilleaas

12/16/2008 3:00:00 PM

Hello,

Let's start with some code. http://pastie.... . If you run it
(after changing the font on line 33), you get a neat image with the
text appearing two times. One flat, the other with a blur.

Now, set the background_color to 'transparent' on line 30, and voila
-- no blur.

I'm running RMagick 2.8.0 and ImageMagick 6.4.4 2008-11-21 Q16. Anyone
knows what this is all about?
4 Answers

Tim Hunter

August Lilleaas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Let's start with some code. http://pastie.... . If you run it
> (after changing the font on line 33), you get a neat image with the
> text appearing two times. One flat, the other with a blur.
>
> Now, set the background_color to 'transparent' on line 30, and voila
> -- no blur.
>
> I'm running RMagick 2.8.0 and ImageMagick 6.4.4 2008-11-21 Q16. Anyone
> knows what this is all about?

blur_image only blurs the RGB channels. Use this instead:

@image = @image.blur_channel(0,3, Magick::AllChannels)

If you have any other questions about RMagick you can reach me at the
RMagick Help Forum on RubyForge
(http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?f...) or directly at
rmagick AT rubyforge DOT org.

Mulligan

On Apr 30, 5:24 pm, A Really Really Large Number
<t2judgm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 5:23 pm, A Really Really Large Number
>

> <t2judgm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Apr 30, 4:59 pm, A Really Really Large Number
>
> > <t2judgm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Condemning syria's use of chemical weapons.
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/...
>
> > Sarin, or GB, is an organophosphorus compound with the formula
> > [(CH3)2CHO]CH3P(O)F. It is a colorless, odorless liquid,[4] used as a
> > chemical weapon owing to its extreme potency as a nerve agent. It has
> > been classified as a weapon of mass destruction in UN Resolution 687
>
> > People who absorb a non-lethal dose but do not receive immediate
> > appropriate medical treatment may suffer permanent neurological
> > damage.
>
> > Sarin is estimated to be over 500 times more toxic than cyanide
>
> > Initial symptoms following exposure to sarin are a runny nose,
> > tightness in the chest and constriction of the pupils. Soon after, the
> > victim has difficulty breathing and experiences nausea and drooling.
> > As the victim continues to lose control of bodily functions, the
> > victim vomits, defecates and urinates. This phase is followed by
> > twitching and jerking. Ultimately, the victim becomes comatose and
> > suffocates in a series of convulsive spasms.
>
> General Isai Brun reported "shrunken pupils, foaming at the mouth and
> other signs" as evidence for the use of sarin as nerve agent in an
> apparent reference to artillery attacks in the cities of Homs on
> December 23, 2012 and Aleppo on March 19, 2013
>
> On April 25th 2013, United States Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel issued
> a letter to Congress stating US intelligence agencies had collected
> evidence that Syrian army forces under President Bashar al-Assad had
> used sarin on a small scale against rebel fighters

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/middleeast/article3...

Mulligan

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/00407/VID_Syria_Chemical__4...

wrote:
> On Apr 30, 5:44 pm, A Really Really Large Number <quarke...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 30, 5:24 pm, A Really Really Large Number
>
> > <t2judgm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > General Isai Brun reported "shrunken pupils, foaming at the mouth and
> > > other signs" as evidence for the use of sarin as nerve agent in an
> > > apparent reference to artillery attacks in the cities of Homs on
> > > December 23, 2012 and Aleppo on March 19, 2013
>
> > > On April 25th 2013, United States Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel issued
> > > a letter to Congress stating US intelligence agencies had collected
> > > evidence that Syrian army forces under President Bashar al-Assad had
> > > used sarin on a small scale against rebel fighters
>
> >http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/middleeast/article3...
>
> http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/00407/VID_......

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/syria-chemical-weapons-use-would-be-war-crime-85...

Harrowing stories are now emerging of families reportedly being
attacked with chemical weapons — with children and women dying in
excruciating pain, foaming at the mouth and being suffocated by deadly
poisons

“There is growing evidence that we’ve seen the use of chemical
weapons, probably by the regime. It’s extremely serious, this is a war
crime and we should taking it very seriously,” Mr Cameron told BBC
Breakfast.

“What President Obama said was absolutely right, that this should form
for the international community a red line for us to do more.”

The lethal agent sarin was detected in samples, believed to have been
smuggled out of Syria, which have been tested at the Defence Science
Technology Laboratory at Porton Down.

Sarin is a colourless and highly toxic nerve agent which can cause
convulsions, paralysis and kill people within minutes if absorbed
through inhalation, ingestion, or contact with skin or eyes. The White
House announced yesterday that US spy agencies believed “with varying
degrees of confidence” that Syria had used the nerve agent sarin.