Re: ruby 1.9.1: Encoding trouble: broken US-ASCII String

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: ruby 1.9.1: Encoding trouble: broken US-ASCII String"
on Tue, 16 Dec 2008 01:16:55 +0900, Brian Candler <b.candler@pobox.com> writes:

|It seems to go against DRY to have to write "r:binary" or "rb:binary"
|when opening lots of binary files. But if I remember to use
|#!/usr/bin/ruby -Knw everywhere that should be OK.
|
|However, I also don't like the unstated assumption that all Strings
|contain text.

open(path, "rb") is your friend. It sets encoding to binary.

|In RFC2045 (MIME), there is a distinction made between 7bit text, 8bit
|text, and binary data.
|
|But if you label a string as "binary", Ruby changes this to
|"ASCII-8BIT". I think that is a misrepresentation of that data, if it is
|not actually ASCII-based text. I would much rather it made no assertion
|about the content than a wrong assertion.
|--
|Posted via http://www.ruby-....

1 Answer

Brian Candler

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> open(path, "rb") is your friend. It sets encoding to binary.

Thanks.

"rb" is now performing two jobs then - prevent line-ending translation
(on those platforms which do it), and set encoding to binary. Something
to remember.