Rest-client posting multipart to rails 2

e deleflie

11/28/2008 9:14:00 AM

Hi all,

I'm using rest-client (in a Shoooes app) to post a multi-part form to
my rails server. I've been struck down by a gotcha (which may not be a
gotcha for non-newbies).

What I want to do is post an image file within the form. Examples show
that the correct syntax is such:

params = {'myObject[name]' => "some name",
'myObject[details]' => "some extra
details and stuff here.",
:myObject[image] =>
File.new('/baa/baa/screen-capture-1.png')
}
response = RestClient.post
"http://me:mine@www.example.com/myObject.xml", params

but :myObject[image] is not a valid symbol ... and that's how rails
creates the names of the fields in the forms ...

Any ideas?

Etienne

2 Answers

Einar Magnús Boson

On 28.11.2008, at 09:14 , e deleflie wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using rest-client (in a Shoooes app) to post a multi-part form to
> my rails server. I've been struck down by a gotcha (which may not be a
> gotcha for non-newbies).
>
> What I want to do is post an image file within the form. Examples show
> that the correct syntax is such:
>
> params = {'myObject[name]' => "some name",
> 'myObject[details]' => "some extra
> details and stuff here.",
> :myObject[image] =>
> File.new('/baa/baa/screen-capture-1.png')
> }
> response = RestClient.post
> "http://me:mine@www.example.com/myObject.xml", params
>

> but :myObject[image] is not a valid symbol ... and that's how rails
> creates the names of the fields in the forms ...
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Etienne

Your two first parameters have strings as keys, not symbols.

einarmagnus

e deleflie

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Einar Magn=FAs Boson
<einarmagnus@tistron.se> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 28.11.2008, at 09:14 , e deleflie wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm using rest-client (in a Shoooes app) to post a multi-part form to
>> my rails server. I've been struck down by a gotcha (which may not be a
>> gotcha for non-newbies).
>>
>> What I want to do is post an image file within the form. Examples show
>> that the correct syntax is such:
>>
>> params =3D {'myObject[name]' =3D> "some name",
>> 'myObject[details]' =3D> "some extra
>> details and stuff here.",
>> :myObject[image] =3D>
>> File.new('/baa/baa/screen-capture-1.png')
>> }
>> response =3D RestClient.post
>> "http://me:mine@www.example.com/myObject.xml", params
>>

>> but :myObject[image] is not a valid symbol ... and that's how rails
>> creates the names of the fields in the forms ...
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Etienne
>>

> Your two first parameters have strings as keys, not symbols.

yeah, but that seems to work fine ...

I worked out I can do :"myObject[image]" =3D>
File.new('/baa/baa/screen-capture-1.png') but that still doesn't ...
it creates the below message in Rails:

UploadColumn::UploadNotMultipartError (Do not know how to handle a
string with value '(File /baa/baa/screen-capture-1.png)' that was
uploaded. Check if the form's encoding has been set to
'multipart/form-data'.):

Etienne