gem mirrors down?

Mark Thomas

11/10/2008 4:17:00 PM

There seem to be some gem mirrors down right now. One example is
http://rubyforge-gems.ruby-forum...

There are at least a few others that are redirects from http://gems.ruby...
that are down (xaop, mmmultiworks). Does rubyforge monitor the mirrors
at all?

Is there a way for me to specify a specific mirror for gem to use for
installs?

-- Mark.
2 Answers

Tom Copeland

On Nov 10, 2008, at 11:17 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> There seem to be some gem mirrors down right now. One example is
> http://rubyforge-gems.ruby-forum...

Hm, seems to be OK from here:

http://rubyforge-gems.ruby-forum...rails-2.1.1.gem

Is that URL not responding for you?

> There are at least a few others that are redirects from http://gems.ruby...
> that are down (xaop, mmmultiworks). Does rubyforge monitor the mirrors
> at all?

Yup, we have a "mirrorwatch" script that moves gems in and out of
rotation if they go offline.

> Is there a way for me to specify a specific mirror for gem to use for
> installs?

Hm, I think not at the moment... I think the gem indexes are not
mirrored, just the gems. Would be good to do that, though, probably...

Yours,

Tom

Mark Thomas

On Nov 10, 10:42 pm, Tom Copeland <t...@infoether.com> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2008, at 11:17 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>
> > There seem to be some gem mirrors down right now. One example is
> >http://rubyforge-gems.ruby-forum...
>
> Hm, seems to be OK from here:
>
> http://rubyforge-gems.ruby-forum...rails-2.1.1.gem
>
> Is that URL not responding for you?

It is, so I guess my test was faulty. I assumed the indexes were
mirrored too.

> > Is there a way for me to specify a specific mirror for gem to use for
> > installs?
>
> Hm, I think not at the moment... I think the gem indexes are not
> mirrored, just the gems.  Would be good to do that, though, probably...

Thanks,
-- Mark.