Need help finding a pithy corouting example

Dave Thomas

11/9/2008 3:20:00 PM

I'm looking for a concise but interesting example of corotuines to
illustrate symmetrical fibers for the 1.9 edition of the PickAxe.

Way back in the dim past, I remember a logic puzzle to do with laying
down a path of colored tiles such that there were no repeating
subsequences. I remember coding a solution using coroutines in Simula.
But I can't now find a formulation of the problem. Does anyone know
it? Or can anyone suggest an alternative illustration of coroutines
that will fit in about 20-30 lines.?

Thanks

Dave

10 Answers

bullockbefriending bard

On Nov 9, 10:19 pm, Dave Thomas <d...@pragprog.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a concise but interesting example of corotuines to
> illustrate symmetrical fibers for the 1.9 edition of the PickAxe.
>
> Way back in the dim past, I remember a logic puzzle to do with laying
> down a path of colored tiles such that there were no repeating
> subsequences. I remember coding a solution using coroutines in Simula.
> But I can't now find a formulation of the problem. Does anyone know
> it? Or can anyone suggest an alternative illustration of coroutines
> that will fit in about 20-30 lines.?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

Chapter 9 - Coroutines in Programming in Lua has a few examples.

Chapter 13.4 in Teach Yourself Scheme in Fixnum days has a tree-
matching example.

Both are available in online versions.

Dave Thomas

On Nov 9, 2008, at 10:27 AM, bullockbefriending bard wrote:

> Chapter 9 - Coroutines in Programming in Lua has a few examples.
>
> Chapter 13.4 in Teach Yourself Scheme in Fixnum days has a tree-
> matching example.
>
> Both are available in online versions.

I should have said: I saw those, but I was looking for something a
little more fun :)

Dennis

AlexMilman wrote:

<snip all>

All the discussion of the 19th century meaning of 'Cossacks' is
interesting. Thanks!

It never has been clear to me just who 'Cossacks' really are. National
Geographic magazine had an article once, and the 'Cossack' movement seems
to be quite wide-ranging.

I remember seeing a poem by the great Ukrainian poet and writer Taras
Shevshenko about Cossacks. Do Ukrainians feel themselves tied to the
Cossacks? Don Cossacks I can see.

I would assume that Cossacks are stock features of 'Red Westerns', the
films that Soviet cinematographers made following the conventions of
American 'Westerns'. I know that these are often set during the Civil War
between the Reds and Whites. 'White Sun of the Desert' is supposed to be an
excellent example.

Dennis

AlexMilman

On Oct 18, 4:09 pm, Dennis <tsalagi18NOS...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> AlexMilman wrote:
>
> <snip all>
>
> All the discussion of the 19th century meaning of 'Cossacks' is
> interesting.  Thanks!
>
> It never has been clear to me just who 'Cossacks' really are.  National
> Geographic magazine had an article once, and the 'Cossack' movement seems
> to be quite wide-ranging.
>
> I remember seeing a poem by the great Ukrainian poet and writer Taras
> Shevshenko about Cossacks.

Probably 'Haydamaks'. Dedicated to the XVIII upraising called
'Kollivschina' in Polish Ukraine.

> Do Ukrainians feel themselves tied to the
> Cossacks?

When it suits them. :-)

>Don Cossacks I can see.
>
> I would assume that Cossacks are stock features of 'Red Westerns',

'Easterns' would be more to the point but the answer is 'no'. :-)

>the
> films that Soviet cinematographers made following the conventions of
> American 'Westerns'.  I know that these are often set during the Civil War
> between the Reds and Whites. 'White Sun of the Desert'

Not a single clearly identified Cossack there but this is the best
'Eastern' ever made. BTW, this specific movie is not about the Reds
against the Whites. The good guy is Red soldier but the bad guys and
his sidekick are mostly the locals with some addition of the Russians.
They are (in the movie) strictly into the looting.

> is supposed to be an
> excellent example.

Answer to your main question is not very simple. The most popular
theory is that the Cossacks initially had been the peasants who fled
to the borderlands in the search of freedom (or simply always lived
there). Another, and not necessarily completely contradictory theory
adds to this the nomads who lived on these border lands.

Then the fun starts and so does confusion.

Initially, the main (in the terms of numbers and political importance)
Cossacks had been located on Ukraine, which was pretty much a
borderland till well into XVIII. As you probably know, this was a
territory of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. By more or less known
times the Cossacks were personally free small landowners who owned
their masters (Polish goverment) a military service. There was a
separate group of them, famous Zaparogian Sech: permanent military
establishment members of which lived by hunting, fishing and raiding
(which had been creating problems for their Polish masters every time
they managed to piss off the Crimean Khanate above the acceptable
level). By mid-XVII there was a serious conflict between the big-scale
Ukrainian landowners (Poles or Polonized Ukrainians) who,
understandably, wanted to convert the settled Cossacks into their
serfs and the Cossacks who, also understandably, did not think that
this is a good idea. The official component of the problem was in the
definition of who is and who is not a Cossack. Formally, this was
defined by 'reester', an official list of those recognized by
goverment as the true Cossacks. Govermental policy in this area was
not uniform: King Wladislav Wasa wanted to create a powerful Cossack
army to be reasonably independent from the Sejim (and the magnates).
To make a long story short, conflict ended up with Khmelnitsky's
Upraising which, unlike the previous ones, had been successful (thanks
to the help from the Khanate). When the dust more or less settled,
Ukraine was split into Western (under control of the Commonwealth) and
Eastern (Hetmanship) which became a vassal of Russia (details included
numerous upraisings and alliances with the Tatars all the way to the
Great Northern War). Hetmanship had its own (Cossack) army and, at
least formally, controlled Zaporogians. Both had been abolished by
Catherine II. Ukrainian Cossacks became just a class of the personally
free small landowners and there were few regiments of the Ukrainian
Cossacks (but nothing 'exotic' or 'asiatic' there). Some of them had
been moved to the new borders (IIRC, this applies to the Kuban
Cossacks) and some fled to the Ottoman Empire. In the Polish Ukraine
the Cossacks existed within the similar framework. Hetmanship was
restored for a short period after the Russian Revolution but then was
overthrown by the Ukrainian nationalists under Petlura. Shevchenko was
writing about the Ukrainian Cossacks and 'Taras Bulba' (old movie with
Yul Brinner and Tony Curtis) is also about them.

The next famous group (and one most relevant to this thread) were the
Cossacks of Don. Most probably they descended from the Russian
peasants (part of confusion is due to the fact that up to the
reasonably modern time both Ukrainians and Russians had been just
'Russians') and had been settling on the Russian borders. By the early
XIX they were well-regulated (even if not well-disciplined) 'semi-
irregulars' and most of the 'asiats' of whom the French were so afraid
were these totally european (geographically) soldiers. Some of them
had been Kalmyks but the bulk was of the Russian descent. Costumes of
the Napoleonic period can be seen on http://pics.livejournal.com/aldanov/pic...
Allies in Paris: Tsar, King of Prussia and Emperor of Austria are in
the center but you can see couple of Cossacks (bearded riders with the
lances in blue on the right). By the time of WWI their dress was
anything but exotic: http://pics.livejournal.com/aldanov/pi...

Then there were Yaik Cossacks who after Pugachev's Upraising had been
renamed into the Ural Cossacks (part of them had been Bashkirs). Those
were mostly engaged in the conquest of the Central Asia.

The Kuban Cossacks had been mostly used during the conquest of Caucass
and when you see somebody dressed like this
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A4%D0%B0%D0%B9%D0%BB:K...,
they are the Kuban Cossacks. But when you logged on Wiki (under Kuban
Cossacks) and see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Repin_Co...,
this is an idea of the early XX century painter of how Zaporogians
looked like. BTW, a fat person in red is presumably a portrait (or a
friendly caricature) of a famous Russian journalist of this period
(the moustashes of the original had been a little bit shorter). :-)

Then there were smaller Cossack 'armies' of Orenburg, Siberia, Ussury,
Baikal, etc.

Contrary to the popular perception, there were numerous Cossack
infantry units.

Dennis

AlexMilman wrote:

Lots of good stuff!

<snip all>

OK. Thanks! I can see this is not an easy question. I suppose that
'Cossacks' started out as 'frontiersmen', mostly of European origin, but
frontiersmen settle down, of course.

Question: Where does the dividing line between Eastern and Western Ukraine
run? I know it's significant to this day?

Dennis

AlexMilman

On Oct 19, 12:02 am, Dennis <tsalagi18NOS...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> AlexMilman wrote:
>
> Lots of good stuff!
>
> <snip all>
>
> OK.  Thanks!  I can see this is not an easy question.  I suppose that
> 'Cossacks' started out as 'frontiersmen', mostly of European origin, but
> frontiersmen settle down, of course.
>
> Question:  Where does the dividing line between Eastern and Western Ukraine
> run?

By the 1st peace treaty, Dnieper was a border (with Kiev being on
Polish side) and correct terms (sorry, I made a little bit of a
shortcut) were 'Right Bank' (Polish) and 'Left Bank' (Russian). In a
reality, situation was trickier because part (rather flexibly defined)
of the Left Bank had been controlled by the Crimean Horde (and the
Ottomans, by extension) and there were separate agreements between the
parties involved what is and what is not permitted on this part (for
example, there should be no Russian fortresses). Later in XVII, Jan
Sobiessky had to cede Kiev to Russia in exchange for the help against
the Ottomans.

>I know it's significant to this day?

These divisions had very little to do with the modern 'Western' vs
'Eastern' Ukraine. One of the reasons is that a big part of what is
now 'Eastern Ukraine' was under control of the Crimean Khanate until
approximately century later. Present division has much more to do with
the Partitions of Poland (parts that stayed longer with Poland and
then went to Austria) and, to a certain degree, probably with some
ethnic distinctions between the Galitz/Wolin and the rest of what
ended up as 'Ukraine'. AFAIK, presently 'patriots' on both sides made
something of a national entertainment out of this issue.

'Patriots' of the Western part is obsessively fond of their 'true
Ukrainity' (which boils down to favoring the long mustashes and hating
everybody else) and uses (as far as I can tell) a heavily Polonized
version of (probably) the same Ukrainian language. If you saw the
movie 'Everything is illuminated', the guys from Odessa ('Eastern'
Ukraine) at some point found themselves among the 'Westerners' and
immediately figured out that this is not a very healthy place to be.

Eastern part has a big percentage of the Russian-speaking population
and population that uses some mixture of the Ukrainian (whatever this
is suppossed to mean) and Russian. As I understand, 'patriots' of this
side tend to consider the west-siders as some peculiar but
underdeveloped life form.

Of course, politicians on both sides are using situation to their
personal advantage.

Dennis

AlexMilman wrote:

>> Question:  Where does the dividing line between Eastern and Western
>> Ukraine
>> run?
>
> By the 1st peace treaty, Dnieper was a border (with Kiev being on
> Polish side) and correct terms (sorry, I made a little bit of a
> shortcut) were 'Right Bank' (Polish) and 'Left Bank' (Russian). In a
> reality, situation was trickier because part (rather flexibly defined)
> of the Left Bank had been controlled by the Crimean Horde (and the
> Ottomans, by extension) and there were separate agreements between the
> parties involved what is and what is not permitted on this part (for
> example, there should be no Russian fortresses). Later in XVII, Jan
> Sobiessky had to cede Kiev to Russia in exchange for the help against
> the Ottomans.
>

>>I know it's significant to this day?
>

> These divisions had very little to do with the modern 'Western' vs
> 'Eastern' Ukraine. One of the reasons is that a big part of what is
> now 'Eastern Ukraine' was under control of the Crimean Khanate until
> approximately century later. Present division has much more to do with
> the Partitions of Poland (parts that stayed longer with Poland and
> then went to Austria) and, to a certain degree, probably with some
> ethnic distinctions between the Galitz/Wolin and the rest of what
> ended up as 'Ukraine'. AFAIK, presently 'patriots' on both sides made
> something of a national entertainment out of this issue.

That's what I thought, that present-day 'western' Ukraine might be
Austrian part.

> 'Patriots' of the Western part is obsessively fond of their 'true
> Ukrainity' (which boils down to favoring the long mustashes and hating
> everybody else) and uses (as far as I can tell) a heavily Polonized
> version of (probably) the same Ukrainian language. If you saw the
> movie 'Everything is illuminated', the guys from Odessa ('Eastern'
> Ukraine) at some point found themselves among the 'Westerners' and
> immediately figured out that this is not a very healthy place to be.
>
> Eastern part has a big percentage of the Russian-speaking population
> and population that uses some mixture of the Ukrainian (whatever this
> is suppossed to mean) and Russian. As I understand, 'patriots' of this
> side tend to consider the west-siders as some peculiar but
> underdeveloped life form.
>
> Of course, politicians on both sides are using situation to their
> personal advantage.

I know that during the Soviet era the Soviets settled Russians in
especially 'eastern' part ?Kiev. I read in Wiki article that Ukrainian
Communist Party suppressed Ukrainian language for a long time, even
during Gorbachev's glasnost. Now there's over-reaction, in 'west' at
least.

The current Russia can't accept a Ukraine aligned with the West, and want
to protect 'genuine' Russians. I have read that they suborned the Orange
Revolution. No doubt the Russians played some part in the trumped-up
charges against Yulya Tymoshenko. Plainly they're playing the divisions
to their advantage as they can.

Dennis

AlexMilman

On Oct 19, 4:55 pm, Dennis <tsalagi18NOS...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> AlexMilman wrote:
> >> Question:  Where does the dividing line between Eastern and Western
> >> Ukraine
> >> run?
>
> > By the 1st peace treaty, Dnieper was a border (with Kiev being on
> > Polish side) and correct terms (sorry, I made a little bit of a
> > shortcut) were 'Right Bank' (Polish) and 'Left Bank' (Russian). In a
> > reality, situation was trickier because part (rather flexibly defined)
> > of the Left Bank had been controlled by the Crimean Horde (and the
> > Ottomans, by extension) and there were separate agreements between the
> > parties involved what is and what is not permitted on this part (for
> > example, there should be no Russian fortresses). Later in XVII, Jan
> > Sobiessky had to cede Kiev to Russia in exchange for the help against
> > the Ottomans.
>
> >>I know it's significant to this day?
>
> > These divisions had very little to do with the modern 'Western' vs
> > 'Eastern' Ukraine. One of the reasons is that a big part of what is
> > now 'Eastern Ukraine' was under control of the Crimean Khanate until
> > approximately century later. Present division has much more to do with
> > the Partitions of Poland (parts that stayed longer with Poland and
> > then went to Austria) and, to a certain degree, probably with some
> > ethnic distinctions between the Galitz/Wolin and the rest of what
> > ended up as 'Ukraine'. AFAIK, presently 'patriots' on both sides made
> > something of a national entertainment out of this issue.
>
> That's what I thought, that present-day 'western' Ukraine might be
> Austrian part.
>

> > 'Patriots' of the Western part is obsessively fond of their 'true
> > Ukrainity' (which boils down to favoring the long mustashes and hating
> > everybody else) and uses (as far as I can tell) a heavily Polonized
> > version of (probably) the same Ukrainian language. If you saw the
> > movie 'Everything is illuminated', the guys from Odessa ('Eastern'
> > Ukraine) at some point found themselves among the 'Westerners' and
> > immediately figured out that this is not a very healthy place to be.
>
> > Eastern part has a big percentage of the Russian-speaking population
> > and population that uses some mixture of the Ukrainian (whatever this
> > is suppossed to mean) and Russian. As I understand, 'patriots' of this
> > side tend to consider the west-siders as some peculiar but
> > underdeveloped life form.
>
> > Of course, politicians on both sides are using situation to their
> > personal advantage.
>
> I know that during the Soviet era the Soviets settled Russians in
> especially 'eastern' part ?

Big chunk of the 'eastern part' had big percentage of the Russian
population under the Russian Empire. For one thing, it was not
considered 'Malorossia': territories along the Black Sea shore were
'Novorossia'.

>Kiev.  I read in Wiki article that Ukrainian
> Communist Party suppressed Ukrainian language for a long time, even
> during Gorbachev's glasnost.

Wow! Taking into an account that it was all over the place (as in
radio, TV, newspapers, street signs, etc.) even prior to the Gorby's
time, I wonder what this 'suppression' was about? Most probably, it
amounted to a freedom of choice between education in Ukrainian and
education in Russian (not sure how their education had been settled).

>Now there's over-reaction, in 'west' at
> least.

I had a chance to visit Lwov during the Gorby times and had tremendous
dififculties with figuring out what 'the natives' had been saying so I
somewhat doubt 'oppression' part. OTOH, history of a nationalism was/
is definitely present in this area so this is probably not as much of
over-reaction as just ideological rigidness.

> The current Russia can't accept a Ukraine aligned with the West,

Why would 'the West' want Ukraine aligned with it is a little bit
beyond me (especially when the West started running out of money to
give away for unclear geopolitical reasons). On the Ukrainian side, I
have certain doubts about seriousness of their 'aligned' with anybody
except in a hope to get some freebees: at the pick of pro-/ant-
<whoever> rhetorics suppossedly pre-western leaders kept making deals
with Russia (and re-dividing whatever could be stolen on their own
territory :-)).

Taking into an account percentage of the Russian-speakers in Ukraine
(and Latvia, Estonia), the most (seemingly) obvious way would be to
make bi-lingual arrangements and to let the whole issue die from the
natural causes.

>and want
> to protect 'genuine' Russians.

Protection of the 'genuine' Russians (or rather Russian-speakers)
seems to be a way to maintain semi-imperial status which is important
(as far as the Russian leaders are involved) for the home
consumption.

>I have read that they suborned the Orange
> Revolution.

Western (and especially USian) reaction to these color revolutions is
a little bit on a naive side.
It was simply a way for the nationalistic leaders to whip up
enthusiasm of their potential constituency. These methods could not
hold them enthhusiastic forever (especially with the free goodies not
coming from the West) so the next swing of the pendulum was in a favor
of the pro-Russian half of the country: while the goodies were not
coming, eating was still a daily issue and Russia (AFAIK) is a big
labor market fdor the migrant workers, the major trade partner AND the
main energy supplier. So, the people started looking in a food-
supplying direction.

Think for a minute: these 'orange' people, many of whom were not from
Kiev, had been staying on the 'maidan' for a long period of time. They
had to be fed, kept warm (transported). All of this takes money. Who
had money? The leading 'nationalistic' politicians at least some of
whom just happened to control/own a big chunk of the Ukrainian
economics (most of the rest being, as I understand, controlled by the
leaders of the opposing side).

> No doubt the Russians played some part in the trumped-up
> charges against Yulya Tymoshenko.

While political component is most probably there, if you think for a
second that she is just an innocent victim, you are extremely naive:
her family was, IIRC, practically controlling gas import from Russia.
Taking into an account the way business (AFAIK) is conducted on a big
part of post-Soviet space, illegalities are simply inevitable.

>  Plainly they're playing the divisions
> to their advantage as they can.

Of course, they did. If one of the main sources of income for your
country is export of gas, you may want to have friendly goverment(s)
along the route AND you probably want them to limit amount of the
stolen gas and perhaps to pay (at least something) for the rest. :-)

OTOH, with the country being split approximately 50:50, change of the
direction in national politics is a natural phenomena. I'm sure that
if 'the West' was naive and rich enough to put the whole Ukrainian
population on a welfare program, their previous set of leaders would
still be in place.

Bradipus

AlexMilman, 16:14, giovedì 20 ottobre 2011:

> eating was still a daily issue and Russia (AFAIK) is a big
> labor market fdor the migrant workers, the major trade partner
> AND the main energy supplier. So, the people started looking
> in a food- supplying direction.

Many Ucrainians middle aged women work in Italy as family
helpers for old people whose children cannot stay at home
caring them.

Every Saturday there is a little uninformal street market where
they gather and buy merchandise and food arriving from their
homeland on minivans.

--
o o

Dennis

AlexMilman wrote:

>> I know that during the Soviet era the Soviets settled Russians in
>> especially 'eastern' part ?
>
> Big chunk of the 'eastern part' had big percentage of the Russian
> population under the Russian Empire. For one thing, it was not
> considered 'Malorossia': territories along the Black Sea shore were
> 'Novorossia'.

I can believe it!

>>Kiev.  I read in Wiki article that Ukrainian
>> Communist Party suppressed Ukrainian language for a long time, even
>> during Gorbachev's glasnost.
>
> Wow! Taking into an account that it was all over the place (as in
> radio, TV, newspapers, street signs, etc.) even prior to the Gorby's
> time, I wonder what this 'suppression' was about? Most probably, it
> amounted to a freedom of choice between education in Ukrainian and
> education in Russian (not sure how their education had been settled).

Wiki isn't always accurate, to say the least.

>>Now there's over-reaction, in 'west' at
>> least.
>
> I had a chance to visit Lwov during the Gorby times and had tremendous
> dififculties with figuring out what 'the natives' had been saying so I
> somewhat doubt 'oppression' part. OTOH, history of a nationalism was/
> is definitely present in this area so this is probably not as much of
> over-reaction as just ideological rigidness.

L'viv is interesting, of course. It's close to Poland. At the
beginning of the 20th century, it was multi-ethnic, with Poles, Germans,
Jews, Ukrainians, and probably some others I left out. After several
rounds of ethnic cleansing and genocide, there are only Ukrainians there.
So a good many of those Ukrainians have ancestors who were recently
resettled there by Stalin, or even by OUN or Nazis? I can well imagine
rigidness and other things.

>> The current Russia can't accept a Ukraine aligned with the West,
>
> Why would 'the West' want Ukraine aligned with it is a little bit
> beyond me (especially when the West started running out of money to
> give away for unclear geopolitical reasons). On the Ukrainian side, I
> have certain doubts about seriousness of their 'aligned' with anybody
> except in a hope to get some freebees: at the pick of pro-/ant-
> <whoever> rhetorics suppossedly pre-western leaders kept making deals
> with Russia (and re-dividing whatever could be stolen on their own
> territory :-)).
>
> Taking into an account percentage of the Russian-speakers in Ukraine
> (and Latvia, Estonia), the most (seemingly) obvious way would be to
> make bi-lingual arrangements and to let the whole issue die from the
> natural causes.

Ukraine and the Baltics want someone to protect them from Russia, quite
aside from giveaways. Russia has its historical geopolitical fear of
invasion. The West might want a market for its weapons and goods;
Ukraine could offer cheap labor.

What you propose is sensible, but you also mention geopolitical concern
below.

>>and want
>> to protect 'genuine' Russians.
>
> Protection of the 'genuine' Russians (or rather Russian-speakers)
> seems to be a way to maintain semi-imperial status which is important
> (as far as the Russian leaders are involved) for the home
> consumption.
>
>>I have read that they suborned the Orange
>> Revolution.
>
> Western (and especially USian) reaction to these color revolutions is
> a little bit on a naive side.
> It was simply a way for the nationalistic leaders to whip up
> enthusiasm of their potential constituency. These methods could not
> hold them enthhusiastic forever (especially with the free goodies not
> coming from the West) so the next swing of the pendulum was in a favor
> of the pro-Russian half of the country: while the goodies were not
> coming, eating was still a daily issue and Russia (AFAIK) is a big
> labor market fdor the migrant workers, the major trade partner AND the
> main energy supplier. So, the people started looking in a food-
> supplying direction.
>
> Think for a minute: these 'orange' people, many of whom were not from
> Kiev, had been staying on the 'maidan' for a long period of time. They
> had to be fed, kept warm (transported). All of this takes money. Who
> had money? The leading 'nationalistic' politicians at least some of
> whom just happened to control/own a big chunk of the Ukrainian
> economics (most of the rest being, as I understand, controlled by the
> leaders of the opposing side).

I can believe it! Everyone there is just trying to survive. Ukraine
isn't doing nearly as well as Poland.

>> No doubt the Russians played some part in the trumped-up
>> charges against Yulya Tymoshenko.
>
> While political component is most probably there, if you think for a
> second that she is just an innocent victim, you are extremely naive:
> her family was, IIRC, practically controlling gas import from Russia.
> Taking into an account the way business (AFAIK) is conducted on a big
> part of post-Soviet space, illegalities are simply inevitable.

I wouldn't doubt it.

>>  Plainly they're playing the divisions
>> to their advantage as they can.
>
> Of course, they did. If one of the main sources of income for your
> country is export of gas, you may want to have friendly goverment(s)
> along the route AND you probably want them to limit amount of the
> stolen gas and perhaps to pay (at least something) for the rest. :-)

It looks more to me like the other way around; Russia uses its gas to
blackmail other countries.

> OTOH, with the country being split approximately 50:50, change of the
> direction in national politics is a natural phenomena. I'm sure that
> if 'the West' was naive and rich enough to put the whole Ukrainian
> population on a welfare program, their previous set of leaders would
> still be in place.

Maybe so.

Where is the present-day dividing line between 'western' and 'eastern'
Ukraine?

Dennis

PS: The case of the KGB assassin Bohdan Stashinsky has always intrigued
me. He committed two first-degree murders, and got... eight years in
jail? He fell in love with a woman he wanted to spend his life with...
and turned himself in for crimes that could have gotten him life in
prison? What gives?

One explanation could be that by giving cheap deals to KGB assassins who
gave themselves in and spilled the beans, there might be fewer KGB
assassinations. If so, it worked, because after him, the KGB farmed out
its assassinations to satellite security organizations.

Also, I wonder if the West wasn't somewhat happy to have Bandera out of
the way? He might have been implicated in the Holocaust and also in the
genocide of Poles in Volhynia during WWII. Plus, maybe he was a loose
cannon as far as the West was concerned. I don't know.