comp.lang.javascript

What's the deal with mobile browsers and Javascript?

bit-naughty

4/11/2016 6:24:00 AM

This is really the first time I'm actively looking into such things - how much does an average cheap Android phone browser support? How much Javascript have they put into the browsers as compared to desktop? If I make a site for desktop, am I relatively assured that it'll work as required on a phone?

Have they fixed the issues of accessing a mic/camera, even GPS or whatever? (where does one find info on programming (accessing) these in JS?)

The entire emphasis of the world seems to be on *apps*, which I of course, would dearly like to prevent - who wants to download something which'll probably snoop on you? (seems, the entire planet!! :( ) But - to get a little crazy, is there even any way to get the user to pay for an *in-browser* app? Y'know, since they _are_ used to paying for downloadable apps? :) Would make my life a HELL of a lot easier.... :)
15 Answers

Evertjan.

bit-naughty@hotmail.com wrote on 11 Apr 2016 in comp.lang.javascript:

> This is really the first time I'm actively looking into such things -

Immaterial, my dear Watson,

> how much does an average cheap Android phone browser support?

That would depend on the browser used. Chrome mobile has exellent Javascript
support: <https://en.wikipedia.or...(JavaScript_engine)>

I don't know what cheap Andriod phones average to,
but it is more the Android version loaded than the dollar/euro.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Michael Haufe (\"TNO\")

<http://kangax.github.io/compat-tabl...

> Have they fixed the issues of accessing a mic/camera, even GPS or whatever? (where does one find info on programming (accessing) these in JS?)

These standards are nowhere near ready (and in some places not even started). You'll have to go to the relevant OS/Browser for details. For example:

<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Firefox_OS/API/CameraM...

bit-naughty

I also want to know about *audio* - simply, I want to broadcast audio from a server and have people listen to it in Chrome on Android or whatever - is that possible? It would have to be HTML 5 audio, right, cuz I'm not interested in Flash (and talking of which, WILL Flash audio play properly inside Chrome/Android?), - so how does one do it? I would naturally like to use FOSS software on the server, but will something like icecast do it? If not, then what? How do I write the code for the client end? (no seeking or anything, just a play button and a stop button, oh, and maybe a volume button).

Thanks.

bit-naughty

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 6:55:42 PM UTC+5:30, Michael Haufe (TNO) wrote:

> These standards are nowhere near ready (and in some places not even started). You'll have to go to the relevant OS/Browser for details. For example:
>
> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Firefox_OS/API/CameraM...

Bro, that's Firefox *OS* (which never took off! :( ) - I'm talking about Firefox the BROWSER. Does that have all the camera etc. stuff?

Michael Haufe (\"TNO\")

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 12:37:53 AM UTC-5, bit-n...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 6:55:42 PM UTC+5:30, Michael Haufe (TNO) wrote:
>

> > These standards are nowhere near ready (and in some places not even started). You'll have to go to the relevant OS/Browser for details. For example:
> >
> > <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Firefox_OS/API/CameraM...
>

> Bro, that's Firefox *OS* (which never took off! :( ) - I'm talking about Firefox the BROWSER. Does that have all the camera etc. stuff?

Read again; specifically the part where I said: "... go to the relevant OS/Browser for details."

Michael Haufe (\"TNO\")

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 12:36:11 AM UTC-5, bit-n...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I also want to know about *audio* - simply,

Which is not what you asked for originally.

> I want to broadcast audio from a server and have people listen to it in Chrome on Android or whatever - is that possible? It would have to be HTML 5 audio, right, cuz I'm not interested in Flash (and talking of which, WILL Flash audio play properly inside Chrome/Android?), - so how does one do it? I would naturally like to use FOSS software on the server, but will something like icecast do it? If not, then what? How do I write the code for the client end? (no seeking or anything, just a play button and a stop button, oh, and maybe a volume button).

As far as the browser is concerned, it just needs a url to point to. You don't even need to build a web page. Just use an appropriate file type (MP4, OGG, WEBM, etc).

Osmo Saarikumpu

On 13/04/2016 08:36, bit-naughty@hotmail.com wrote:
> I also want to know about *audio*...

It seems I wrote a page about that circa 2 months ago. There's some
scripting involved, so it's not completely off topic. The caveat: it's
in Finnish, so you might want to use Chrome:

http://weppipakki.com/html/html5...

Anyways, by now, audio is quite straightforward and there's a lot of
information about it on the Web. Your questions about manipulating the
element's interface via script would be on topic in this newsgroup.

--
Best wishes, Osmo

bit-naughty

On Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 9:38:49 PM UTC+5:30, Osmo Saarikumpu wrote:

> It seems I wrote a page about that circa 2 months ago.

Thanks for that info.

But my most important question is - will that player work in Chrome MOBILE? (or for that matter any other mobile browser)? i.e. can people hear the music on the headphones connected to their cellphones? If that is NOT possible yet, any idea on when it *will* be?

Thanks again.

Christoph M. Becker

See <http://caniuse.com/#search..., for instance.

--
Christoph M. Becker

Michael Haufe (\"TNO\")

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 2:36:07 AM UTC-5, bit-n...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 9:38:49 PM UTC+5:30, Osmo Saarikumpu wrote:
>
> > It seems I wrote a page about that circa 2 months ago.
>
> Thanks for that info.
>
> But my most important question is - will that player work in Chrome MOBILE? (or for that matter any other mobile browser)? i.e. can people hear the music on the headphones connected to their cellphones? If that is NOT possible yet, any idea on when it *will* be?

Why don't you experiment? it takes less than 10 minutes to find out...

<http://thenewobjective.com/temp/dan...