comp.lang.javascript

Condition fullfilled to early "sometimes"

JT

3/1/2016 5:31:00 AM

I've been looking at the code for two days so i am a bit crosseyed.
If anyone could help me set the condition so the loop catch the last pair/pairs, it is kind of weird that it succeed sometimes and break to early and report fail others.

I would be very greatful if anyone can see why it break to early when return fail. Although a succes of uniform network is possible.

It is a minor bug due to some condition that i just not get.

http://jt.node365.se/myd...
18 Answers

JT

Den tisdag 1 mars 2016 kl. 06:31:39 UTC+1 skrev jonas.t...@gmail.com:
> I've been looking at the code for two days so i am a bit crosseyed.
> If anyone could help me set the condition so the loop catch the last pair/pairs, it is kind of weird that it succeed sometimes and break to early and report fail others.
>
> I would be very greatful if anyone can see why it break to early when return fail. Although a succes of uniform network is possible.
>
> It is a minor bug due to some condition that i just not get.
>
> http://jt.node365.se/myd...

The program creates search for uniform networks, that is x nodes each with y links. Only a subset of permutations possible "easiest found out with pen and paper". So to the left is the node and to the right the nodes it links to.

When you run new network, sometimes it is full every node have x links, you create a uniform network. But often ir reports fail the links was exhausted and you stuck into a loop, that i fortunatily have the conditions to break.

But it *sometimes* break to early when there is still one or two pairs that would had worked. Not it is easy to make a fix for those, but it certainly would be more beautiful setting the correct condition.

Here is sample output and as you can see there is no reason to not create the last pair, the link is not a copy it should be created but condition somehow wrong *sometimes*.

Hurray failed generate network ***not quite if single pair two nodes missing
0'st NODE Links-> 7,3,5
1'st NODE Links-> 4,6,3
2'st NODE Links-> 5,9,3
3'st NODE Links-> 0,1,2
4'st NODE Links-> 1,8,5
5'st NODE Links-> 0,2,4
6'st NODE Links-> 1,7,9
7'st NODE Links-> 0,6,8
8'st NODE Links-> 4,7
9'st NODE Links-> 2,6

And here is the actual function doing it.

function createLinks()
{
var i = 0;
var j = 0;

while(i < nodes)
{
// This see so that links already generated accounted for if one link than j
j = arr[i].nodelinks.length;
stupid = nodes - 1;
temparr = new Array();
while(j < links)
{
dublett = false;
// Onlygenerate random values bigger than "i" else all links exhausted
if(i == 0)
{
aLink = Math.floor(Math.random() * (nodes - 1));
aLink ++ ;
}
else
{
aLink = Math.floor(Math.random() * (stupid - i)) + i + 1;
}
if (aLink == nodes)aLink -- ;

if (temparr[0] == null)
{
temparr[0] = aLink;
}
for(k = 0; k < arr[i].nodelinks.length; k ++ )
{
if(aLink == arr[i].nodelinks[k])
{
dublett = true;
}
}
inmylist = false;
var t = 0;
for(var m = 0; m < temparr.length; m ++ )
{
if(temparr[m] == aLink)
{
inmylist = true;
}
}
if (inmylist == false)
{
temparr[temparr.length] = aLink;

}
else
{
inmylist = false
}
scope = (nodes - 1) - i;
if (temparr.length >= scope)
{
myboolean = false;
return myboolean;
}

if(dublett == false && arr[aLink].nroflinks < links)
{
arr[i].nodelinks[arr[i].nodelinks.length] = aLink;
arr[aLink].nodelinks[arr[aLink].nodelinks.length] = i;
arr[i].nroflinks ++ ;
arr[aLink].nroflinks ++ ;
j ++ ;
}
}
i ++ ;
}
myboolean = true;
return myboolean;
}

John Harris

On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 21:31:25 -0800 (PST), jonas.thornvall@gmail.com
wrote:

>I've been looking at the code for two days so i am a bit crosseyed.
>If anyone could help me set the condition so the loop catch the last pair/pairs, it is kind of weird that it succeed sometimes and break to early and report fail others.
>
>I would be very greatful if anyone can see why it break to early when return fail. Although a succes of uniform network is possible.
>
>It is a minor bug due to some condition that i just not get.
>
>http://jt.node365.se/myd...

function init()
{
links = document.network.linkval.value * 1;
multiple = document.network.lmult.value * 1;
nodes = (links * multiple) + 1;
document.network.nodeval.value = nodes;
arr = new Array();

Where are the var declarations for these global variables?

function createLinks()
{
document.network.output.value = "";
i = 0;
j = 0;
abort = 0;

Where are the var declarations for these local variables?

John

Ben Bacarisse

jonas.thornvall@gmail.com writes:

> Den tisdag 1 mars 2016 kl. 06:31:39 UTC+1 skrev jonas.t...@gmail.com:
>> I've been looking at the code for two days so i am a bit crosseyed.
>> If anyone could help me set the condition so the loop catch the last
>> pair/pairs, it is kind of weird that it succeed sometimes and break
>> to early and report fail others.
>>
>> I would be very greatful if anyone can see why it break to early
>> when return fail. Although a succes of uniform network is possible.
>>
>> It is a minor bug due to some condition that i just not get.

How do you know it's minor?

>> http://jt.node365.se/myd...
>
> The program creates search for uniform networks, that is x nodes each
> with y links. Only a subset of permutations possible "easiest found
> out with pen and paper". So to the left is the node and to the right
> the nodes it links to.

If you'd like to learn about this topic, the words to search for are
"regular graphs with degree y". Even more specifically I suspect you want to
generate connected regular graphs with some known degree.

<snip>
> And here is the actual function doing it.
>
> function createLinks()
> {
> var i = 0;
> var j = 0;
>
> while(i < nodes)
> {
> // This see so that links already generated accounted for if one link than j
> j = arr[i].nodelinks.length;
> stupid = nodes - 1;

More "global" variables. Why give yourself the trouble? What's so hard
about a var or a let?

> temparr = new Array();
> while(j < links)
> {
> dublett = false;
> // Onlygenerate random values bigger than "i" else all links exhausted
> if(i == 0)
> {
> aLink = Math.floor(Math.random() * (nodes - 1));
> aLink ++ ;
> }
> else
> {
> aLink = Math.floor(Math.random() * (stupid - i)) + i + 1;
> }

That "if" and the variable "stupid" are pointless. Just write

Math.floor(Math.random() * (nodes - 1 - i)) + i + 1;

But this can be simplified too, especially if you consider the next line:

> if (aLink == nodes)aLink -- ;

which suggests the random selection of aLink is not being done
correctly. "Fixing" a previous mistake like this is not a good
idea. For one thing it will skew your random samples.

> if (temparr[0] == null)
> {
> temparr[0] = aLink;
> }
> for(k = 0; k < arr[i].nodelinks.length; k ++ )
> {
> if(aLink == arr[i].nodelinks[k])
> {
> dublett = true;
> }
> }
> inmylist = false;
> var t = 0;
> for(var m = 0; m < temparr.length; m ++ )
> {
> if(temparr[m] == aLink)
> {
> inmylist = true;
> }
> }
> if (inmylist == false)
> {
> temparr[temparr.length] = aLink;
>
> }
> else
> {
> inmylist = false
> }
> scope = (nodes - 1) - i;
> if (temparr.length >= scope)
> {
> myboolean = false;
> return myboolean;
> }
>
> if(dublett == false && arr[aLink].nroflinks < links)
> {
> arr[i].nodelinks[arr[i].nodelinks.length] = aLink;
> arr[aLink].nodelinks[arr[aLink].nodelinks.length] = i;
> arr[i].nroflinks ++ ;
> arr[aLink].nroflinks ++ ;
> j ++ ;

Arrays support push(). And I think the only reason you need the object
to track the number of links is because you are using globals and don't
know how to empty the array between executions of this function.

--
Ben.

JT

Den tisdag 1 mars 2016 kl. 12:55:22 UTC+1 skrev Ben Bacarisse:
> jonas.thornvall@gmail.com writes:
>
> > Den tisdag 1 mars 2016 kl. 06:31:39 UTC+1 skrev jonas.t...@gmail.com:
> >> I've been looking at the code for two days so i am a bit crosseyed.
> >> If anyone could help me set the condition so the loop catch the last
> >> pair/pairs, it is kind of weird that it succeed sometimes and break
> >> to early and report fail others.
> >>
> >> I would be very greatful if anyone can see why it break to early
> >> when return fail. Although a succes of uniform network is possible.
> >>
> >> It is a minor bug due to some condition that i just not get.
>
> How do you know it's minor?
Well by the fact i can see by visual inspection that i can do ***extras*** to correct it. But of course one would like the conditions correct. But i got so frustrated by the thing hangin in loops in browser all the time and it doesn't help the debugging. The fix will be two loops two check the requirments, yes i know that ain't pretty. But i do not think i can take two other days spent in loop... ;)

> >> http://jt.node365.se/myd...
> >
> > The program creates search for uniform networks, that is x nodes each
> > with y links. Only a subset of permutations possible "easiest found
> > out with pen and paper". So to the left is the node and to the right
> > the nodes it links to.
>
> If you'd like to learn about this topic, the words to search for are
> "regular graphs with degree y". Even more specifically I suspect you want to
> generate connected regular graphs with some known degree.
>
> <snip>
> > And here is the actual function doing it.
> >
> > function createLinks()
> > {
> > var i = 0;
> > var j = 0;
> >
> > while(i < nodes)
> > {
> > // This see so that links already generated accounted for if one link than j
> > j = arr[i].nodelinks.length;
> > stupid = nodes - 1;
>
> More "global" variables. Why give yourself the trouble? What's so hard
> about a var or a let?

Thank's got that fixed that.

> > temparr = new Array();
> > while(j < links)
> > {
> > dublett = false;
> > // Onlygenerate random values bigger than "i" else all links exhausted
> > if(i == 0)
> > {
> > aLink = Math.floor(Math.random() * (nodes - 1));
> > aLink ++ ;
> > }
> > else
> > {
> > aLink = Math.floor(Math.random() * (stupid - i)) + i + 1;
> > }
>
> That "if" and the variable "stupid" are pointless. Just write
> Math.floor(Math.random() * (nodes - 1 - i)) + i + 1;

Thank's got that fixed that.

> But this can be simplified too, especially if you consider the next line:
>
> > if (aLink == nodes)aLink -- ;
I am aware but i don't seem to get it right without.

// Returns a random number between min (inclusive) and max (exclusive)
return Math.random() * (max - min) + min;

This seem to tell me i should write
Math.floor(Math.random() * (nodes - i)) + i + 1;
But it will hang...

> which suggests the random selection of aLink is not being done
> correctly. "Fixing" a previous mistake like this is not a good
> idea. For one thing it will skew your random samples.

No the random samples correct, otherwise the program wouldn't run to end.

> > if (temparr[0] == null)
> > {
> > temparr[0] = aLink;
> > }
> > for(k = 0; k < arr[i].nodelinks.length; k ++ )
> > {
> > if(aLink == arr[i].nodelinks[k])
> > {
> > dublett = true;
> > }
> > }
> > inmylist = false;
> > var t = 0;
> > for(var m = 0; m < temparr.length; m ++ )
> > {
> > if(temparr[m] == aLink)
> > {
> > inmylist = true;
> > }
> > }
> > if (inmylist == false)
> > {
> > temparr[temparr.length] = aLink;
> >
> > }
> > else
> > {
> > inmylist = false
> > }
> > scope = (nodes - 1) - i;
> > if (temparr.length >= scope)
> > {
> > myboolean = false;
> > return myboolean;
> > }
> >
> > if(dublett == false && arr[aLink].nroflinks < links)
> > {
> > arr[i].nodelinks[arr[i].nodelinks.length] = aLink;
> > arr[aLink].nodelinks[arr[aLink].nodelinks.length] = i;
> > arr[i].nroflinks ++ ;
> > arr[aLink].nroflinks ++ ;
> > j ++ ;
>
> Arrays support push(). And I think the only reason you need the object
> to track the number of links is because you are using globals and don't
> know how to empty the array between executions of this function.

That is true have not used push and do use arr=new Array to empty it between each function call in my search of regular graphs with deep y.

Thank's for your input.

> > }
> > }
> > i ++ ;
> > }
> > myboolean = true;
> > return myboolean;
> > }
>
> --
> Ben.

JT

Den tisdag 1 mars 2016 kl. 14:28:49 UTC+1 skrev jonas.t...@gmail.com:
> [...]
> > > scope = (nodes - 1) - i;
> > > if (temparr.length >= scope)
> > > {
> > > myboolean = false;
> > > return myboolean;
> > > }
> > >
> > > if(dublett == false && arr[aLink].nroflinks < links)
> > > {
> > > arr[i].nodelinks[arr[i].nodelinks.length] = aLink;
> > > arr[aLink].nodelinks[arr[aLink].nodelinks.length] = i;
> > > arr[i].nroflinks ++ ;
> > > arr[aLink].nroflinks ++ ;
> > > j ++ ;
> >
> > Arrays support push(). And I think the only reason you need the object
> > to track the number of links is because you are using globals and don't
> > know how to empty the array between executions of this function.
>
> That is true have not used push and do use arr=new Array to empty it between each function call in my search of regular graphs with deep y.

If anyone have a clue about what is wrong with condition tell, because tomorrow i do a hack and it won't be pretty ;)
"Well feel free to show how random min max work also"

<HTML><BODY onLoad=init();>
<form name="network" onsubmit="init(); return false;" onSubmit>
Links:<input name="linkval" value="3" size="7" type="text"><br>
Multiple:<input name="lmult" value="3" size="3" type="text"><br>
Nodes: <input name="nodeval" value="" size="5" type="text" disabled><br>
<input type=submit name="network" value="NEW NETWORK"><br>
<textarea name="output" rows="100" cols="60"></textarea>
</form>

</BODY></HTML>

<script type="text/javascript">

function init()
{
links = document.network.linkval.value * 1;
multiple = document.network.lmult.value * 1;
nodes = (links * multiple) + 1;
document.network.nodeval.value = nodes;
arr = new Array();
myboolean = false;
while(myboolean == false)
{
createarr();
myboolean = createLinks();
}
for (var z = 0; z < nodes; z ++ )
{
document.network.output.value += z + "'st NODE Links-> "+arr[z].nodelinks+"\n";
}
}

function createarr()
{
for(k = 0; k < nodes; k ++ )
{
arr[k] =
{
nodelinks : [], nroflinks : 0
}
;
}
}

function createLinks()
{
document.network.output.value = "";
var i = 0;
var j = 0;
// document.network.output.value += "[***START NODE***->0 \n";
while(i < nodes)
{
// if(i < nodes - 1) document.network.output.value += "LINKS TO NODE -> " + arr[i].nodelinks + "\n\n";
j = arr[i].nodelinks.length;
temparr = new Array();
while(j < links)
{
dublett = false;
// Only have to generate random values that is bigger than "i" otherwise node full / exhausted
aLink = Math.floor(Math.random() * (nodes - 1 - i)) + i + 1;
// document.network.output.value += "New rand:" + aLink + " I=" + i + "\n";
if (temparr[0] == null)
{
temparr[0] = aLink;
}
for(k = 0; k < arr[i].nodelinks.length; k ++ )
{
if(aLink == arr[i].nodelinks[k])
{
dublett = true;
}
}

var t = 0;
inmylist = false;
for(var m = 0; m < temparr.length; m ++ )
{
if(temparr[m] == aLink)
{
inmylist = true;
// document.network.output.value += inmylist + " Kilroy was here , nothing added to list [" + temparr + "\n";

}
}
if (inmylist == false)
{
temparr[temparr.length] = aLink;
// document.network.output.value += "Added to mylist" + temparr + "\n";
}

scope = (nodes - 1) - i;
// document.network.output.value += "Break if TRUE " + temparr.length + ">=" + scope + "\n";
if (temparr.length >= scope)
{
document.network.output.value += "Hurray failed generate ***not quite if single pair two nodes missing \n";
myboolean = false;
return myboolean;
}
// document.network.output.value += i + "]" + " Linked-->" + aLink + " " + dublett + "\n";
if(dublett == false && arr[aLink].nroflinks < links)
{
// document.network.output.value += "[ADDED LINK] " + aLink + "\n\n";
arr[i].nodelinks[arr[i].nodelinks.length] = aLink;
arr[aLink].nodelinks[arr[aLink].nodelinks.length] = i;
arr[i].nroflinks ++ ;
arr[aLink].nroflinks ++ ;
j ++ ;
}
}

// document.network.output.value += "***FINISHED NODE*** " + i + " Links =" + arr[i].nodelinks + "\n\n";
i ++ ;
// document.network.output.value += "[***START NODE***-> " + i + " ";
}
document.network.output.value += "Hurray succeded to generate network!!!\n";
myboolean = true;
return myboolean;
}
</script>

JT

Den tisdag 1 mars 2016 kl. 16:49:49 UTC+1 skrev jonas.t...@gmail.com:
> [...]
> // document.network.output.value += i + "]" + " Linked-->" + aLink + " " + dublett + "\n";
> if(dublett == false && arr[aLink].nroflinks < links)
> {
> // document.network.output.value += "[ADDED LINK] " + aLink + "\n\n";
> arr[i].nodelinks[arr[i].nodelinks.length] = aLink;
> arr[aLink].nodelinks[arr[aLink].nodelinks.length] = i;
> arr[i].nroflinks ++ ;
> arr[aLink].nroflinks ++ ;
> j ++ ;
> }
> }
>
> // document.network.output.value += "***FINISHED NODE*** " + i + " Links =" + arr[i].nodelinks + "\n\n";
> i ++ ;
> // document.network.output.value += "[***START NODE***-> " + i + " ";
> }
> document.network.output.value += "Hurray succeded to generate network!!!\n";

Ok hack it is.

JT

Den onsdag 2 mars 2016 kl. 08:25:04 UTC+1 skrev jonas.t...@gmail.com:
> [...]
> > // document.network.output.value += i + "]" + " Linked-->" + aLink + " " + dublett + "\n";
> > if(dublett == false && arr[aLink].nroflinks < links)
> > {
> > // document.network.output.value += "[ADDED LINK] " + aLink + "\n\n";
> > arr[i].nodelinks[arr[i].nodelinks.length] = aLink;
> > arr[aLink].nodelinks[arr[aLink].nodelinks.length] = i;
> > arr[i].nroflinks ++ ;
> > arr[aLink].nroflinks ++ ;
> > j ++ ;
> > }
> > }
> >
> > // document.network.output.value += "***FINISHED NODE*** " + i + " Links =" + arr[i].nodelinks + "\n\n";
> > i ++ ;
> > // document.network.output.value += "[***START NODE***-> " + i + " ";
> > }
> > document.network.output.value += "Hurray succeded to generate network!!!\n";

Phewww http://jt.node365.se/myd...

Last minute rescue!!! At least i have not found any incorrect reports. I think it breaks and decide correct for any generated network.

<HTML><BODY onLoad=init();>
<form name="network" onsubmit="init(); return false;" onSubmit>
Links:<input name="linkval" value="3" size="7" type="text"><br>
Multiple:<input name="lmult" value="3" size="3" type="text"><br>
Nodes: <input name="nodeval" value="" size="5" type="text" disabled><br>
<input type=submit name="network" value="NEW NETWORK"><br>
<textarea name="output" rows="100" cols="60"></textarea>
</form>

</BODY></HTML>

<script type="text/javascript">

function init()
{
links = document.network.linkval.value * 1;
multiple = document.network.lmult.value * 1;
nodes = (links * multiple) + 1;
document.network.nodeval.value = nodes;
arr = new Array();
myboolean = false;
// while(myboolean == false)
// {
createarr();
myboolean = createLinks();
// }
for (var z = 0; z < nodes; z ++ )
{
document.network.output.value += z + "'st NODE Links-> "+arr[z].nodelinks+"\n";
}
}

function createarr()
{
for(k = 0; k < nodes; k ++ )
{
arr[k] =
{
nodelinks : [], nroflinks : 0
}
;
}
}

function createLinks()
{
document.network.output.value = "";
var i = 0;
var j = 0;
// document.network.output.value += "[***START NODE***->0 \n";
while(i < nodes-1)
{
[...]
if(dublett == false && arr[aLink].nodelinks.length < links)
{
[...]

if(arr[i].nodelinks.length < links){
myboolean=false;
return myboolean;
} else {
> [...]

> > {
> > inmylist = false
> > }
> > scope = (nodes - 1) - i;
> > if (temparr.length >= scope)
> > {
> > myboolean = false;
> > return myboolean;
> > }
> >
> > if(dublett == false && arr[aLink].nroflinks < links)
> > {
> > arr[i].nodelinks[arr[i].nodelinks.length] = aLink;
> > arr[aLink].nodelinks[arr[aLink].nodelinks.length] = i;
> > arr[i].nroflinks ++ ;
> > arr[aLink].nroflinks ++ ;
> > j ++ ;
>
> Arrays support push(). And I think the only reason you need the object
> to track the number of links is because you are using globals and don't
> know how to empty the array between executions of this function.

http://jt.node365.se/myd...

I think this is quite good and i did a speed improvement.
More suggestions.

[...]

var newnode = false;
// document.network.output.value += "[***START NODE***->0 \n";
while(i < nodes - 1)
{
[...]

newnode = true;
}
if (newnode == false)
{

inmylist = false;
for(var m = 0; m < temparr.length; m ++ )
{
if(temparr[m] == aLink)
{
inmylist = true;
// document.network.output.value += inmylist + "Nothing added to list [" + temparr + "\n";
}
}
if (inmylist == false)
{
temparr[temparr.length] = aLink;
// document.network.output.value += "Added to mylist" + temparr + "\n";
}
scope = (nodes - 1) - i;
// document.network.output.value += "Break if TRUE " + temparr.length + ">=" + scope + "\n";
if (temparr.length == scope)
{
document.network.output.value += "Hurray **failed** generate regular graph \n";
myboolean = false;
return myboolean;
}
}
newnode = false;
}

[...]

Why did you post all those old lines? It's better to cut your messages
down.

> Phewww http://jt.node365.se/myd...
>
> Last minute rescue!!! At least i have not found any incorrect
> reports. I think it breaks and decide correct for any generated
> network.

Not as far as I can see. One sample output:

$ nodejs mydebug3.js
Hurray **failed** generate regular graph

[ { nodelinks: [ 4, 2 ], nroflinks: 0 },
{ nodelinks: [ 2, 4 ], nroflinks: 0 },
{ nodelinks: [ 0, 1 ], nroflinks: 0 },
{ nodelinks: [], nroflinks: 0 },
{ nodelinks: [ 0, 1 ], nroflinks: 0 } ]

<snip>
--
Ben.

JT

Den onsdag 2 mars 2016 kl. 11:44:05 UTC+1 skrev Ben Bacarisse:
> jonas.thornvall@gmail.com writes:
>
> <snip>
> Why did you post all those old lines? It's better to cut your messages
> down.
>
> > Phewww http://jt.node365.se/myd...
> >
> > Last minute rescue!!! At least i have not found any incorrect
> > reports. I think it breaks and decide correct for any generated
> > network.
>
> Not as far as I can see. One sample output:
>
> $ nodejs mydebug3.js
> Hurray **failed** generate regular graph
>
> [ { nodelinks: [ 4, 2 ], nroflinks: 0 },
> { nodelinks: [ 2, 4 ], nroflinks: 0 },
> { nodelinks: [ 0, 1 ], nroflinks: 0 },
> { nodelinks: [], nroflinks: 0 },
> { nodelinks: [ 0, 1 ], nroflinks: 0 } ]
>
> <snip>
> --
> Ben.

I am not sure what you mean?
It can't possibly be a uniform graph, if you don't make a chain?
The last one can't possibly link to itself, it must be a chain?

The program works.

http://jt.node365.se/no...