comp.lang.javascript

How to do a popup box

bit-naughty

I have a <div> which will have some text in it, when someone clicks on that box, I want a "menu" with some options in it to popup on TOP of that box, how do I do this please? I do NOT want to use CSS, ie. a:link ,. The items in the menu will have to be fetched via AJAX.

Thanks.
29 Answers

Evertjan.

bit-naughty@hotmail.com wrote on 25 Jun 2015 in comp.lang.javascript:

> I have a <div> which will have some text in it, when someone clicks on
> that box, I want a "menu" with some options in it to popup on TOP of
> that box, how do I do this please? I do NOT want to use CSS, ie. a:link
> ,. The items in the menu will have to be fetched via AJAX.

Wrong NG.
This is not a paid helpdesk.
We won't code for you for free.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

ram

"Evertjan." <exxjxw.hannivoort@inter.nl.net> writes:
>Wrong NG.
>This is not a paid helpdesk.
>We won't code for you for free.

The question can be interpreted to be a question about
JavaScript (that is, to be on topic).

Nowhere does the charta exclude answers that can be used for
work (for profit). If you do not want to answer to a
question, you are free to do so.

Nowhere does the charta exclude the possibility to ask for a
payment. If you want to be paid by the OP, you are free to
ask him to do so.

Scott Sauyet

Stefan Ram wrote:
> Evertjan writes:

>> This is not a paid helpdesk.
>> We won't code for you for free.
>
> The question can be interpreted to be a question about
> JavaScript (that is, to be on topic). [ ... ]

And of course, we often do code for you for free. But you need to find
a way to pique our interest. Such a question probably won't do it.

-- Scott

Evertjan.

ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote on 25 Jun 2015 in
comp.lang.javascript:

> "Evertjan." <exxjxw.hannivoort@inter.nl.net> writes:
>>Wrong NG.
>>This is not a paid helpdesk.
>>We won't code for you for free.
>
> The question can be interpreted to be a question about
> JavaScript (that is, to be on topic).

Human interpretation has no limits,
unlike script interpreter engines.

> Nowhere does the charta exclude answers that can be used for
> work (for profit). If you do not want to answer to a
> question, you are free to do so.

"charter"!

This posting is typically a question of free help,
and methinks that is off topic.

> Nowhere does the charta exclude the possibility to ask for a
> payment. If you want to be paid by the OP, you are free to
> ask him to do so.

"charter"!

This NG has a strong and long history of discouraging such questions,
and quite rightly so.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Evertjan.

Scott Sauyet <scott.sauyet@gmail.com> wrote on 25 Jun 2015 in
comp.lang.javascript:

> Stefan Ram wrote:
>> Evertjan writes:
>
>>> This is not a paid helpdesk.
>>> We won't code for you for free.
>>
>> The question can be interpreted to be a question about
>> JavaScript (that is, to be on topic). [ ... ]
>
> And of course, we often do code for you for free.

The OP would need to show at least some primordial effort,
giving the vague promise of his own implementation.

> But you need to find
> a way to pique our interest. Such a question probably won't do it.

Quite, it does not pop me up!

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

bit-naughty@hotmail.com wrote:

> I have a <div> which will have some text in it, when someone clicks on
> that box, I want a "menu" with some options in it to popup on TOP of that
> box, how do I do this please? I do NOT want to use CSS, ie. a:link ,. The
> items in the menu will have to be fetched via AJAX.

Bad idea.

See the FAQ referred to below.

--
PointedEars
FAQ: <http://PointedEars.... | SVN: <http://PointedEars.de...

Evertjan.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> wrote on 25 Jun 2015 in
comp.lang.javascript:

> bit-naughty@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> I have a <div> which will have some text in it, when someone clicks on
>> that box, I want a "menu" with some options in it to popup on TOP of that
>> box, how do I do this please? I do NOT want to use CSS, ie. a:link ,. The
>> items in the menu will have to be fetched via AJAX.
>
> Bad idea.
>
> See the FAQ referred to below.

Good advice.

>> I do NOT want to use CSS, ie. a:link
>> .. will have to be fetched ..

"I do NOT want"? Why?

Perhaps his schoolteacher said so?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

bit-naughty

Oh for God's sake - there's SEVEN replies, all filled with *this* bullshit - if you don't want to help me, DON'T, don't go on and on about it...?!!! This is NOT homework, but yes, it IS for a site I'm making, and I can only tell you what I *thought* of - I don't *know* what to code, if I knew, I wouldn't BE here....?

The z-index for this "menu" has to be more than that of the page, right......? But I can't figure out how to code the "onclick" stuff..... The menu has to be displayed where the mouse was clicked, how do I do that?

Thanks for your help. No thanks for no help.

bit-naughty

On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 1:56:26 AM UTC+5:30, Evertjan. wrote:

> "I do NOT want"? Why?

Because I want to LEARN Javascript!!!

Evertjan.

bit-naughty@hotmail.com wrote on 26 Jun 2015 in comp.lang.javascript:

> On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 1:56:26 AM UTC+5:30, Evertjan. wrote:
>>
>> "I do NOT want"? Why?
>
> Because I want to LEARN Javascript!!!

Well, asking someone else to do the coding for you, as you write in another
post "but yes, it IS for a site I'm making", that is not a sound way to
learn.

Learning is an interaction of showing what you know already,
and asking for help from someone you expect to be more proficient than you,
where and when you get stuck.

Learning is not:
specifying what result you "need" and so
limiting your teacher to what he dare not touch, as in
"I do NOT want to use CSS, ie. a:link ,."
and
"The items in the menu will have to be fetched via AJAX."

Learning is:
Hoping your teacher will come up with arguments to do something in a way you
never dreamed of before.

"Oh for God's sake":
You better leave out incantations to the invisible imagined little man in
the sky. I trust his knowledge of Javascript is actually infinitesimal.

"The menu has to be displayed where the mouse was clicked":
why "has to be", unless your schoolteacher has ordered you so?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.