comp.lang.javascript

full stack Javascript (map

gandalf23

5/23/2015 9:36:00 PM

I'm interested in developing SPAs (Single Page Applications) with full-stack Javascript. There are so many options that's quite difficult to orient oneself. I'd like a map of the most popular technologies one can choose from to build a full stack.
I'm not asking for the best solution or for an opinion, so please don't start any war between frameworks.
Here's my (very incomplete) map:

Ember | Angular | Backbone
Express | ?
Node | ?
MongoDB | ?

'|' introduces alternatives and each row represents a layer (kind of).
6 Answers

gandalf23

On Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 11:36:18 PM UTC+2, Kiuhnm Mnhuik wrote:
> I'm interested in developing SPAs (Single Page Applications) with full-stack Javascript. There are so many options that's quite difficult to orient oneself. I'd like a map of the most popular technologies one can choose from to build a full stack.
> I'm not asking for the best solution or for an opinion, so please don't start any war between frameworks.
> Here's my (very incomplete) map:
>
> Ember | Angular | Backbone
> Express | ?
> Node | ?
> MongoDB | ?
>
> '|' introduces alternatives and each row represents a layer (kind of).

Maybe this is the wrong group? Sorry for that.

Steven D'Aprano

On Sun, 24 May 2015 09:12 pm, Kiuhnm Mnhuik wrote:

> On Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 11:36:18 PM UTC+2, Kiuhnm Mnhuik wrote:
>> I'm interested in developing SPAs (Single Page Applications) with
>> full-stack Javascript. There are so many options that's quite difficult
>> to orient oneself. I'd like a map of the most popular technologies one
>> can choose from to build a full stack. I'm not asking for the best
>> solution or for an opinion, so please don't start any war between
>> frameworks. Here's my (very incomplete) map:
>>
>> Ember | Angular | Backbone
>> Express | ?
>> Node | ?
>> MongoDB | ?
>>
>> '|' introduces alternatives and each row represents a layer (kind of).
>
> Maybe this is the wrong group? Sorry for that.

Sorry, I'm a beginner with Javascript and I don't have an answer for you,
but I am a long time usenet user. I don't know what day it is where you
are, but where I am, it's Sunday, and I expect many people will be away
from the computer with their families. It may take them a day or so to
notice your post.

--
Steven

Mel Smith

"Kiuhnm Mnhuik" <gandalf23@mail.com> wrote in message
> Here's my (very incomplete) map:
>
> Ember | Angular | Backbone
> Express | ?
> Node | ?
> MongoDB | ?
>
> '|' introduces alternatives and each row represents a layer (kind of).

Hi:

This is from another full-stack developer-- but very thin slices on the
front-end, and here's *my* complete map:

The Front-end:
- HTML & Javascript/ECMAScript & CSS
- AJAX

The middle:
-HTML Services

The Back-end:
-Apache Server which calls up my CGI App
-CGI app based on: The Harbour programming language:
- C-Based compiled and linked & fast
- Harbour born in 1999 (parentage: prior xbase languages).
- Harbour CGI app listens and talks to Apache Server, and manages
Pages/Ajax, and databases
- Built-in Replaceable Data Drivers (RDDS) with several DBF types
(incl Comix, ADO, SQL, etc, etc)
- All the string manipulation functions you'll ever need. Same with
Database functions
- Harbour has several thousand growing world-wide users, and active
language developers.

-Mel Smith
(newsgroup: comp.lang.xharbour)

gandalf23

On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 7:21:40 PM UTC+2, Mel Smith wrote:
> "Kiuhnm Mnhuik" <gandalf23@mail.com> wrote in message
> > Here's my (very incomplete) map:
> >
> > Ember | Angular | Backbone
> > Express | ?
> > Node | ?
> > MongoDB | ?
> >
> > '|' introduces alternatives and each row represents a layer (kind of).
>
> Hi:
>
> This is from another full-stack developer-- but very thin slices on the
> front-end, and here's *my* complete map:
>
> The Front-end:
> - HTML & Javascript/ECMAScript & CSS
> - AJAX
>
> The middle:
> -HTML Services
>
> The Back-end:
> -Apache Server which calls up my CGI App
> -CGI app based on: The Harbour programming language:
> - C-Based compiled and linked & fast
> - Harbour born in 1999 (parentage: prior xbase languages).
> - Harbour CGI app listens and talks to Apache Server, and manages
> Pages/Ajax, and databases
> - Built-in Replaceable Data Drivers (RDDS) with several DBF types
> (incl Comix, ADO, SQL, etc, etc)
> - All the string manipulation functions you'll ever need. Same with
> Database functions
> - Harbour has several thousand growing world-wide users, and active
> language developers.
>
> -Mel Smith
> (newsgroup: comp.lang.xharbour)

That's not full-stack javascript, but interesting nonetheless. If I may ask, what do you mean by "HTML services"? I'm just starting out so I don't know much about web technology.

gandalf23

On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 5:22:01 PM UTC+2, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 2015 09:12 pm, Kiuhnm Mnhuik wrote:
>
> > On Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 11:36:18 PM UTC+2, Kiuhnm Mnhuik wrote:
> >> I'm interested in developing SPAs (Single Page Applications) with
> >> full-stack Javascript. There are so many options that's quite difficult
> >> to orient oneself. I'd like a map of the most popular technologies one
> >> can choose from to build a full stack. I'm not asking for the best
> >> solution or for an opinion, so please don't start any war between
> >> frameworks. Here's my (very incomplete) map:
> >>
> >> Ember | Angular | Backbone
> >> Express | ?
> >> Node | ?
> >> MongoDB | ?
> >>
> >> '|' introduces alternatives and each row represents a layer (kind of).
> >
> > Maybe this is the wrong group? Sorry for that.
>
> Sorry, I'm a beginner with Javascript and I don't have an answer for you,
> but I am a long time usenet user. I don't know what day it is where you
> are, but where I am, it's Sunday, and I expect many people will be away
> from the computer with their families. It may take them a day or so to
> notice your post.

I'm always on the Internet one way or another. I tend to forget that other people might not.

Best regards from Italy!

Scott Sauyet

Kiuhnm Mnhuik wrote:
> Kiuhnm Mnhuik wrote:
>> I'm interested in developing SPAs (Single Page Applications) with full-
>> stack Javascript. There are so many options that's quite difficult to
>> orient oneself. I'd like a map of the most popular technologies one can
>> choose from to build a full stack. [ ... ]

> Maybe this is the wrong group? Sorry for that.

It probably is. First of all, although this group does on occasion discuss
Javsacript in other environs, it is still chiefly focused on browser-based
usages.

Secondly, comp.lang.javascript is a mostly inhospitable place for any
framework/library/toolkit. The discussions here are generally about the
core language(s). Most discussions of such libraries are in the just-how-
horrible-can-they-possibly-get? mode.

So you might have to find another place for your question. JSMentors might
be more welcoming to these questions, if it's still active.

BTW, your map is woefully inadequate at every level. But I guess that's
why you were asking!

-- Scott