comp.lang.javascript

Need help gettting canvasses to scrool the way I want them to.

SpreadTooThin

5/19/2015 5:49:00 PM

I can't seem to do this in css so it seems I have to get this to work with javascript.

I've places an image of how I need my canvas to scroll here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4wpsqfoboyi43um/cc...

This is the html of the three canvasses.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mashfba4cwvl2cq/experiment...

I've tried css groups but it seems the consencus is that this can't be done with css alone.

Where do I begin? Are there scoll events that I must handle and then modify the position of the canvases individually?

TIA
B.

4 Answers

Michael Haufe (\"TNO\")

On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 12:49:19 PM UTC-5, SpreadTooThin wrote:
> I can't seem to do this in css so it seems I have to get this to work with javascript.
>
> I've places an image of how I need my canvas to scroll here:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/4wpsqfoboyi43um/cc...
>
> This is the html of the three canvasses.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/mashfba4cwvl2cq/experiment...
>
> I've tried css groups but it seems the consencus is that this can't be done with css alone.
>
> Where do I begin? Are there scoll events that I must handle and then modify the position of the canvases individually?

Why not use CSS + SVG?

SpreadTooThin

On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 7:43:29 PM UTC-6, Michael Haufe (TNO) wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 12:49:19 PM UTC-5, SpreadTooThin wrote:
> > I can't seem to do this in css so it seems I have to get this to work with javascript.
> >
> > I've places an image of how I need my canvas to scroll here:
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/4wpsqfoboyi43um/cc...
> >
> > This is the html of the three canvasses.
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/mashfba4cwvl2cq/experiment...
> >
> > I've tried css groups but it seems the consencus is that this can't be done with css alone.
> >
> > Where do I begin? Are there scoll events that I must handle and then modify the position of the canvases individually?
>
> Why not use CSS + SVG?

I think you mean scalable vector graphics which may be a option.. unfortunately I don't think I grasp what you have up your sleeve with this idea.
I'm all ears if you have the time to explain.

Michael Haufe (\"TNO\")

On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 9:36:56 PM UTC-5, SpreadTooThin wrote:

> I think you mean scalable vector graphics which may be a option.. unfortunately I don't think I grasp what you have up your sleeve with this idea.
> I'm all ears if you have the time to explain.

First I'd be curious to why you are using canvas in the first place. Are you doing pixel level manipulation at all?

SpreadTooThin

On Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 5:47:49 AM UTC-6, Michael Haufe (TNO) wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 9:36:56 PM UTC-5, SpreadTooThin wrote:
>
> > I think you mean scalable vector graphics which may be a option.. unfortunately I don't think I grasp what you have up your sleeve with this idea.
> > I'm all ears if you have the time to explain.
>
> First I'd be curious to why you are using canvas in the first place. Are you doing pixel level manipulation at all?

I found drawing objects on the canvas simple, so I used it. As the drawing grew to be bigger than the web browswer window it gave me free scrollbars. I'm not doing any pixel level manipulation, I'm just rendering rectangles and lines with text. UML diagrams. Which at the moment look nice.