comp.lang.javascript

Foundation > jQuery ?

amado.alves

5/14/2015 2:59:00 PM

The jQuery website (https://j...) is given as an example of a website built with... Foundation! (http://foundation.zurb.com/learn/website-exa...) Is that true? Aren't Foundation and jQuery competitors? Thanks.
12 Answers

Evertjan.

amado.alves@gmail.com wrote on 14 mei 2015 in comp.lang.javascript:

> The jQuery website (https://j...) is given as an example of a
> website built with... Foundation!
> (http://foundation.zurb.com/learn/website-exa...) Is that true?
> Aren't Foundation and jQuery competitors? Thanks.

No thanks.

This NG is about Javascript,
not about the struggles between rivalling bad libraries.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

amado.alves

Which *good* library would you recommend then? Thanks.

Tim Streater

In article <f0c5179c-b74e-4d36-9b88-9fe3131dfb70@googlegroups.com>,
<amado.alves@gmail.com> wrote:

>Which *good* library would you recommend then? Thanks.

The best one is none at all. Create your own useful set of functions as
you go along.

--
"Once you adopt the unix paradigm, the variants cease to be a problem - you
bitch, of course, but that's because bitching is fun, unlike M$ OS's, where

Evertjan.

amado.alves@gmail.com wrote on 14 mei 2015 in comp.lang.javascript:

> Which *good* library would you recommend then? Thanks.

To what and to whom are you responding?

This is usenet, not email.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Evertjan.

Tim Streater <timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote on 14 mei 2015 in
comp.lang.javascript:

> In article <f0c5179c-b74e-4d36-9b88-9fe3131dfb70@googlegroups.com>,
> <amado.alves@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Which *good* library would you recommend then? Thanks.
>
> The best one is none at all. Create your own useful set of functions as
> you go along.

Hear hear!

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Michael Haufe (\"TNO\")

On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 11:48:13 AM UTC-5, amado...@gmail.com wrote:
> Which *good* library would you recommend then? Thanks.

I would suggest <http://vanilla-j... as a start

From there start collecting/creating individual utility functions as the need arises.

Give it some time and thought and you will have a library (or more) that will solve the problems you are concerned with.

The problem with general purpose libraries and frameworks is: (no surprise), they overgeneralize and never quite fit your problem domain

Andrew Poulos

On 15/05/2015 9:16 AM, Michael Haufe (TNO) wrote:
> On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 11:48:13 AM UTC-5, amado...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>> Which *good* library would you recommend then? Thanks.
>
> I would suggest <http://vanilla-j... as a start

:-)

A bummer if you go for a job interview and they want you to show/tell
them what general purpose libraries and frameworks your familiar with
and you reply "none because I've just been collecting/creating
individual utility functions as the need arises". And they reply with
"thanks for coming in, next."

Andrew Poulos

Evertjan.

Andrew Poulos <ap_prog@hotmail.com> wrote on 15 mei 2015 in
comp.lang.javascript:

> On 15/05/2015 9:16 AM, Michael Haufe (TNO) wrote:
>> On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 11:48:13 AM UTC-5, amado...@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>>> Which *good* library would you recommend then? Thanks.
>>
>> I would suggest <http://vanilla-j... as a start
>
> :-)
>
> A bummer if you go for a job interview and they want you to show/tell
> them what general purpose libraries and frameworks your familiar with
> and you reply "none because I've just been collecting/creating
> individual utility functions as the need arises". And they reply with
> "thanks for coming in, next."

This would suggest that you only need a job, any job,
and that the employer has ample choice of good people.

If you have the luxury,
better have them choose you on your quality and terms,
not only your self-esteem and your joy in life,
but your employer too will be better off.

============

In this NG, however, I would strongly suggest that Javascript newbees
refrain from using libraries till they are proficient and confident enough
in the language that they realy don't need a library anymore,
or in any case, don't need expert advice for choosing such library.

As an employer [which I am not], I would, if I had the luxury, take on one
of the latter group, and would never hire a newbee professing intimate
carnal knowledge with jquery.

-
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Tim Streater

In article <Rb2dnayF4fsh68jInZ2dnUVZ8hmdnZ2d@westnet.com.au>, Andrew
Poulos <ap_prog@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 15/05/2015 9:16 AM, Michael Haufe (TNO) wrote:
>> On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 11:48:13 AM UTC-5, amado...@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>>> Which *good* library would you recommend then? Thanks.
>>
>> I would suggest <http://vanilla-j... as a start
>
>:-)
>
>A bummer if you go for a job interview and they want you to show/tell
>them what general purpose libraries and frameworks your familiar with
>and you reply "none because I've just been collecting/creating
>individual utility functions as the need arises". And they reply with
>"thanks for coming in, next."

And I would leave as fast as I could, saying "Fuck, that was a narrow
escape!" to myself as I left.

--
"I love the way that Microsoft follows standards.
In much the same manner as fish follow migrating caribou."

amado.alves

Thanks a lot guys, I'll check vanilla-js.

/*
FWIW I'm not a newby, but a seasoned programmer, I just wanted a library to help make a website, I kind of had selected Foundation over jQuery but then I found jQuery website listed as an example of Foundation and got confused, even thou this could support my choice of Foundation over jQuery.
*/