comp.lang.javascript

Reading text from Google Maps

Robert Crandal

5/9/2015 1:48:00 AM

Is it possible to use JavaScript or any other language to extract all
the text from any area of Google Maps? I'm mostly interested in
extracting all the street names from a city section, but business names
are okay too.

I know this is a far-fetched idea, but I can't think of any other method
for obtaining all (or most) of the street names of a city. If anybody
has any better ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thank you.

3 Answers

Evertjan.

"Robert Crandal" <noreply2me@yahoo.com> wrote on 09 mei 2015 in
comp.lang.javascript:

> Is it possible to use JavaScript or any other language

Let us forget about Swahili, afer all you are asking in a Javascript NG.

> to extract all
> the text from any area of Google Maps? I'm mostly interested in
> extracting all the street names from a city section, but business names
> are okay too.

No, don't think so.

> I know this is a far-fetched idea, but I can't think of any other method
> for obtaining all (or most) of the street names of a city. If anybody
> has any better ideas I'd love to hear them.

Perhaps you can use autocomplete with "geocode" restriction.

<https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/refer...
omplete>

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Robin Rattay

Am 09.05.2015 um 03:47 schrieb Robert Crandal:
> Is it possible to use JavaScript or any other language to extract all
> the text from any area of Google Maps? I'm mostly interested in
> extracting all the street names from a city section, but business names
> are okay too.
>
> I know this is a far-fetched idea, but I can't think of any other method
> for obtaining all (or most) of the street names of a city. If anybody
> has any better ideas I'd love to hear them.

Instead of Google Maps look into OpenStreetMap.org. It's an open source
collection of map data

The Map: http://www.openstr... (You can turn on "Map Data" on the
right side in the "Layers" menu to look at the available data)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wi... (This shows information on
how to access the data. Esspecially the points "Data" for the basic
structure of the data and "API" (and "Alternative APIs") on how to
access it).

The problem will be that AFAIK the most APIs use HTTP queries, so
accessing it with JavaScript you have to consider that cross-domain
requests aren't usually supported.

There a many OSM specific channels that can help with follow up
questions: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contac...

Regards,
Robin

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <wamdnagtarfR-tDInZ2dnUVZ5hadnZ2d@gigane
ws.com>, Fri, 8 May 2015 18:47:58, Robert Crandal <noreply2me@yahoo.com>
posted:

>Is it possible to use JavaScript or any other language to extract all
>the text from any area of Google Maps? I'm mostly interested in
>extracting all the street names from a city section, but business names
>are okay too.
>
>I know this is a far-fetched idea, but I can't think of any other method
>for obtaining all (or most) of the street names of a city. If anybody
>has any better ideas I'd love to hear them.

You do not say whether you want this for one, many, or all cities - and
what about towns & villages? You do not say whether you want to have it
fully automated, or is partially manual allowed? You do not say whether
this is to be world-wide (most Americans do not really believe in other
countries apart from Canada and Mexico).

Google searches for street names in Machyllneth & street names in
Chattanooga should give you some clues.

Try, for example, www.proviser.com & cartographic.info &
www.geographic.org. Try also the web site of the place in question.

But remember that, in most of the world, the *real* names of streets are
not written in ASCII or even in a Latin alphabet.

Do not rely on a single non-local source; for example, you could perhaps
use all of Google Maps, Bing Maps, and a national source.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. E-mail, see Home Page. Turnpike v6.05.
Website <http://www.merlyn.demon.... - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms