DRb + SSH

Saji N. Hameed

11/6/2008 8:52:00 AM

Dear Gurus,

Any advice and sample code on how to setup DRb over SSH would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
saji

11 Answers

ara.t.howard

On Nov 6, 2008, at 1:51 AM, Saji N. Hameed wrote:

> Dear Gurus,
>
> Any advice and sample code on how to setup DRb over SSH would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> saji

http://segment7.net/projects/ruby/d...

a @ http://codeforp...
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Brian Candler

Saji N. Hameed wrote:
> Any advice and sample code on how to setup DRb over SSH would
> be greatly appreciated.

Google "DRbTutorial". This was hosted on the rubygarden wiki which has
sadly died, but you might be able to find a cached copy.

Saji N. Hameed

* ara.t.howard <ara.t.howard@gmail.com> [2008-11-07 00:54:27 +0900]:

>> Any advice and sample code on how to setup DRb over SSH would
>> be greatly appreciated.
>
> http://segment7.net/projects/ruby/d...

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I thought that was for
using DRb with SSL not SSH.

saji

Saji N. Hameed

APEC Climate Center +82 51 668 7470
National Pension Corporation Busan Building 12F
Yeonsan 2-dong, Yeonje-gu, BUSAN 611705 saji@apcc21.net
KOREA

Saji N. Hameed

* Brian Candler <b.candler@pobox.com> [2008-11-07 06:16:16 +0900]:

> Saji N. Hameed wrote:
> > Any advice and sample code on how to setup DRb over SSH would
> > be greatly appreciated.
>
> Google "DRbTutorial". This was hosted on the rubygarden wiki which has
> sadly died, but you might be able to find a cached copy.

Thanks very much. I have been googleing to no avail. Yes, there are pointers
to the rubygarden wiki, but as you said the link is dead and I am not
able to find a cached copy.

saji

Brian Candler

Enter the URL into the Wayback Machine at www.archive.org

This gives you:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070711135306/http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/D...

There is a section headed "Running DRb over ssh"

Saji N. Hameed

* Brian Candler <b.candler@pobox.com> [2008-11-07 17:37:29 +0900]:

> Saji N. Hameed wrote:
> >> Google "DRbTutorial". This was hosted on the rubygarden wiki which has
> >> sadly died, but you might be able to find a cached copy.
> >
> > Thanks very much. I have been googleing to no avail. Yes, there are
> > pointers
> > to the rubygarden wiki, but as you said the link is dead and I am not
> > able to find a cached copy.
>
> Enter the URL into the Wayback Machine at www.archive.org
>
> This gives you:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20070711135306/http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/D...
>
> There is a section headed "Running DRb over ssh"

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

saji

ara.t.howard

On Nov 6, 2008, at 5:52 PM, Saji N. Hameed wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion. However, I thought that was for
> using DRb with SSL not SSH.

you cannot. you can't tunnel drb over a single connection - every drb
node is a servant and may need to open up another connection for
certain method calls. you can tunnel the main connection over ssh,
but not subsequent ones as they are dynamic.

Ara Howard wrote:
> On Nov 6, 2008, at 5:52 PM, Saji N. Hameed wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. However, I thought that was for
>> using DRb with SSL not SSH.
>
> you cannot. you can't tunnel drb over a single connection - every drb
> node is a servant and may need to open up another connection for
> certain method calls. you can tunnel the main connection over ssh,
> but not subsequent ones as they are dynamic.

ssh lets you set up port forwarding in both directions. It works fine,
although of course you have to set up the ssh connection yourself first.

Robert Dober

> Thanks very much. I have been googleing to no avail. Yes, there are point=
ers
> to the rubygarden wiki, but as you said the link is dead and I am not
Your message got cut right here in my mail reader, you will therefore
understand why I am *very happy* for you ;).

--=20
C'est v=E9ritablement utile puisque c'est joli.

Antoine de Saint Exup=E9ry

ara.t.howard

On Nov 7, 2008, at 11:06 AM, Brian Candler wrote:

> ssh lets you set up port forwarding in both directions. It works fine,
> although of course you have to set up the ssh connection yourself
> first.

i don't *think* that's true. certain operations in drb will cause a
*new* connection to be opened up on a *new* port. it's not the bi-
directionality that kills you, it's that you cannot know which ports
drb will use in advance. it's been a while since i played with this
but block methods, iirc, involve opening up a new connection on an
unknown port

http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-talk-google/browse_thread/thread/df0582e5213b8f21/3efaa1c9e9c896b0?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=drb+ssh#3efaa1...

possibly i'm wrong, but i played with this for quite a while and,
while i could get simple methods working but not complex ones. i
think the testcase to use is

remote_object.each do |remote_element|
remote_element.method
end

the block cannot be serialzed so the remote_object has to call back to
the client on a *new* connection - and that's where things get messy.

hopefully i'm wrong.

cheers.