comp.lang.javascript

The birth and death of javascript

D. Aaron Sawyer

2/10/2015 8:56:00 PM

Gary Bernhardt gives a bit of future history at PyCon 2014
https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/the-birth-and-death-of-...

and, to the relief of all present, pronounces it "yavascript" :)

I hope this is sufficiently on-topic...
3 Answers

healthyelijah

This was a pretty good talk I watched recently. I had a debate with a colleague in that he thought the whole thing was mostly a joke. I thought it had a lot of truth to it. What was your take on it?

John Harris

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 14:57:46 -0800 (PST), healthyelijah@gmail.com
wrote:

>This was a pretty good talk I watched recently. I had a debate with a
>colleague in that he thought the whole thing was mostly a joke. I thought
>it had a lot of truth to it. What was your take on it?

He certainly likes the sound of his own voice. He seems sure that real
programmers write in C; no mention of more modern languages. He wanted
JavaScript to be a general purpose non-OO language, not one focused on
animating web pages. Perhaps he's right that web pages will fade away
and be replaced by downloaded software. Just think of the unsecurity
possibilities.

John

Lewis Perin

John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> writes:

>On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 14:57:46 -0800 (PST), healthyelijah@gmail.com
>wrote:
>
>>This was a pretty good talk I watched recently. I had a debate with a
>>colleague in that he thought the whole thing was mostly a joke. I thought
>>it had a lot of truth to it. What was your take on it?
>
>He certainly likes the sound of his own voice. He seems sure that real
>programmers write in C; no mention of more modern languages.

Iâ??m afraid you missed his (approving) reference to Clojure.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin / perin@acm.org
http://bab...