comp.lang.javascript

Building my blog with client-side JavaScript

Doc O'Leary

1/5/2015 3:15:00 AM

Hereâ??s a case study that might interest people around here. I got tired
of having to maintain overwrought server-side software just to run a
simple blog, so I took a stab at a wacky solution:

http://www.impossiblystupid.com...

Good idea or bad idea? Or just impossibly stupid? :-)

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly

22 Answers

poisoned rose

Fattuchus <fattuchus@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My preference would be for all to just get along and "play nice."

You're far too ill to ever understand this, but there is no way of
sustaining a "nice" tone when your pet topics are so relentlessly
vicious.

I don't know what imaginary world you live in, where you believe you can
relentlessly hammer on such ugly, mean-spirited topics and expect
"polite cocktail conversation" to result.

Fattuchus

On Nov 2, 10:49 am, Revenge of Sith <revengeofs...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2:51 am, brilton <notl...@yacht.net> wrote:
>
> > This is a Beatles forum.
>
> There have been OT political posts in this newsgroup since long before
> Fatt ever started posting here.

So true; I think the issue is that some people don't like my opinions.

But in any event, I did not start this thread.

Fattuchus

On Nov 2, 2:00 pm, poisoned rose <pro...@wipingbottoms.com> wrote:
> Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > My preference would be for all to just get along and "play nice."
>
> You're far too ill to ever understand this, but there is no way of
> sustaining a "nice" tone when your pet topics are so relentlessly
> vicious.
>
> I don't know what imaginary world you live in, where you believe you can
> relentlessly hammer on such ugly, mean-spirited topics and expect
> "polite cocktail conversation" to result.

The difference between you and me is that I can talk about divisive
subjects and concentrate on the posts, not the poster.

You, on the other hand, often get involved in a non divisive subject
and turn into into a flame war.

poisoned rose

Fattuchus <fattuchus@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > I don't know what imaginary world you live in, where you believe you can
> > relentlessly hammer on such ugly, mean-spirited topics and expect
> > "polite cocktail conversation" to result.
>
> The difference between you and me is that I can talk about divisive
> subjects and concentrate on the posts, not the poster.

Which is a blatant lie, as everyone knows.

I'll just re-paste what I already posted, since you totally ignored its
specifics:

On Nov 2, 5:09 pm, poisoned rose <pro...@wipingbottoms.com> wrote:
> Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I don't know what imaginary world you live in, where you believe you can
> > > relentlessly hammer on such ugly, mean-spirited topics and expect
> > > "polite cocktail conversation" to result.
>
> > The difference between you and me is that I can talk about divisive
> > subjects and concentrate on the posts, not the poster.
>
> Which is a blatant lie, as everyone knows.
>
> I'll just re-paste what I already posted, since you totally ignored its
> specifics:
>
> You're far too ill to ever understand this, but there is no way of
> sustaining a "nice" tone when your pet topics are so relentlessly
> vicious.

I'll repeat what I said above because you don't comprehend what I
wrote.

My pet topics are not vicious; and even if the topics are vicious,
people can discuss them without attacking each other. You don't get
it.

> I don't know what imaginary world you live in, where you believe you can
> relentlessly hammer on such ugly, mean-spirited topics and expect
> "polite cocktail conversation" to result.

You and I travel in very different circles apparently. I know lots of
people who can discuss controversial subjects and engage in polite
cocktail conversation. Happens all the time.

topaz

On Nov 2, 6:07 pm, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2:00 pm, poisoned rose <pro...@wipingbottoms.com> wrote:
>
> > Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > My preference would be for all to just get along and "play nice."
>
> > You're far too ill to ever understand this, but there is no way of
> > sustaining a "nice" tone when your pet topics are so relentlessly
> > vicious.
>
> > I don't know what imaginary world you live in, where you believe you can
> > relentlessly hammer on such ugly, mean-spirited topics and expect
> > "polite cocktail conversation" to result.
>
> The difference between you and me is that I can talk about divisive
> subjects and concentrate on the posts, not the poster.
>
> You, on the other hand, often get involved in a  non divisive subject
> and turn into into a flame war.

He generally prefers to criticize others here. I do not think he is
aware of his tone. He also gets upset sometimes when I use the word
'hope'.

topaz

On Nov 2, 6:20 pm, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > The difference between you and me is that I can talk about divisive
> > > subjects and concentrate on the posts, not the poster.
>
> > Which is a blatant lie, as everyone knows.
>
> > I'll just re-paste what I already posted, since you totally ignored its
> > specifics:
>
> > You're far too ill to ever understand this, but there is no way of
> > sustaining a "nice" tone when your pet topics are so relentlessly
> > vicious.
>
> I'll repeat what I said above because you don't comprehend what I
> wrote.
>
> My pet topics are not vicious; and even if the topics are vicious,
> people can discuss them without attacking each other. You  don't get
> it.
>

> > I don't know what imaginary world you live in, where you believe you can
> > relentlessly hammer on such ugly, mean-spirited topics and expect
> > "polite cocktail conversation" to result.
>
> You and I travel in very different circles apparently.  I know lots of
> people who can discuss controversial subjects and engage in polite
> cocktail conversation.  Happens all the time.- Hide quoted text -

I believe it is possible that the Jerry Springer show is more his
style rather than the PBS News Hour with Jim Lehrer.

poisoned rose

Fattuchus <fattuchus@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > You're far too ill to ever understand this, but there is no way of
> > sustaining a "nice" tone when your pet topics are so relentlessly
> > vicious.
>
> I'll repeat what I said above because you don't comprehend what I
> wrote.
>
> My pet topics are not vicious

On what possible basis can you claim this?

> ; and even if the topics are vicious,

In other words, you admit they are.

> people can discuss them without attacking each other. You don't get
> it.

They obviously can't. Your opponents can't, and YOU can't.

> > I don't know what imaginary world you live in, where you believe you can
> > relentlessly hammer on such ugly, mean-spirited topics and expect
> > "polite cocktail conversation" to result.
>
> You and I travel in very different circles apparently. I know lots of
> people who can discuss controversial subjects and engage in polite
> cocktail conversation. Happens all the time.

You cannot walk into a theoretical "cocktail party" and start bitterly
ranting about how horrible Muslims are and how 1,000 should die for
every one Jew killed, or about how Yoko Ono is glad John Lennon is dead,
and draw breezy chit-chat.

Fattuchus

On Nov 2, 5:20 pm, topaz <topazgal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 2, 6:07 pm, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > You're far too ill to ever understand this, but there is no way of
> > > sustaining a "nice" tone when your pet topics are so relentlessly
> > > vicious.
>
> > > I don't know what imaginary world you live in, where you believe you can
> > > relentlessly hammer on such ugly, mean-spirited topics and expect
> > > "polite cocktail conversation" to result.
>
> > The difference between you and me is that I can talk about divisive
> > subjects and concentrate on the posts, not the poster.
>
> > You, on the other hand, often get involved in a  non divisive subject
> > and turn into into a flame war.
>
> He generally prefers to criticize  others here. I do not think he is
> aware of his tone. He also gets upset sometimes when I use the word
> 'hope'.-

I suspect "chamomile tea" drives him wild.

Fattuchus

On Nov 2, 5:24 pm, poisoned rose <pro...@wipingbottoms.com> wrote:
> Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > You and I travel in very different circles apparently.  I know lots of
> > people who can discuss controversial subjects and engage in polite
> > cocktail conversation.  Happens all the time.
>
> You cannot walk into a theoretical "cocktail party" and start bitterly
> ranting about how horrible Muslims are and how 1,000 should die for
> every one Jew killed, or about how Yoko Ono is glad John Lennon is dead,
> and draw breezy chit-chat.

Of course I can. You really think my opinions are so unusual? In a
place like New York which was attacked on Sept. 11, 2001?

And as far as my opinions about Yoko Ono, you really think my opinions
are so unusual? My comments are mild compared to some of the stuff
out there on the internet.

As I said, you and I live in different worlds.