comp.lang.javascript

Re: article wrt black holes and fractals out of chaotic systems...

Chris M. Thomasson

12/11/2014 5:09:00 AM

(cross-posted to comp.lang.javascript; I forgot to add this
newsgroup before I posted it here! :^( )

"Chris M. Thomasson" wrote in message

FWIW, here is a crude animated GPU-based tour of Julia set around
the main cardioid of the Mandelbrot set. This is implemented in
a pixel shader that has real time color cycling, animation and
point-and-click zooming capabilities. I am planning to extend
this out into a full blown online fractal explorer, complete with
a custom function parser. I am wondering if it works for you?

So far, I can get it to work in Chrome and Firefox. IE does not
seem to want to render; I am probably doing something slightly
wrong in the shader, but it does work in these other browsers.
Perhaps IE does not like the fact that I am breaking out of a for
loop. IIRC, the shader language does not like breaking out of a
loop early; Humm...

Anyway, here is a link to the online program:

http://webpages.charter.net/appcore/fractal/webglx/ct_complex_...

This is using an escape method I came up with that actually
generates an entire infinite vector field, complete with field lines.
Last time I saw an algorithm for field lines in a complex escape time
fractal, the method was just way too complex; mine is almost too easy!

FWIW, it is fairly similar to some of my simulated 2d gravitational field
line animation's on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h...

I think I found a unique method to generate a vector field that totally
comprises everything out of the main set; so to speak.

Well, does it work for you?

Thanks!

BTW, I am using 32-bit floats, so the distance you can zoom to before rapid
pixilation will be rather limited!

Sorry about that for I have not emulated 64-bit floats with 32-bit base
floats yet, but it is on the list!

:^)

13 Answers

Terje Mathisen

Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
> (cross-posted to comp.lang.javascript; I forgot to add this
> newsgroup before I posted it here! :^( )
>
> "Chris M. Thomasson" wrote in message
>
> FWIW, here is a crude animated GPU-based tour of Julia set around
> the main cardioid of the Mandelbrot set. This is implemented in
> a pixel shader that has real time color cycling, animation and
> point-and-click zooming capabilities. I am planning to extend
> this out into a full blown online fractal explorer, complete with
> a custom function parser. I am wondering if it works for you?

I'm using SeaMonkey (similar to Firefox), it works very nicely indeed!

Color me impressed. :-)

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>

rwiker

"Chris M. Thomasson" <no@spam.invalid> writes:

> http://webpages.charter.net/appcore/fractal/webglx/ct_complex_...

Beautiful.

Christoph M. Becker

Chris M. Thomasson wrote:

> http://webpages.charter.net/appcore/fractal/webglx/ct_complex_...
>
> Well, does it work for you?

My Chrome 39.0.2171.71 m (64-bit) alerts: "Cannot load WegGL
Context!!!!". The same happens after having updated to 39.0.2171.95 m
(64-bit).

[F'up2 comp.lang.javascript]

--
Christoph M. Becker

Chris M. Thomasson

> "Chris M. Thomasson" wrote in message

> FWIW, here is a crude animated GPU-based tour of Julia set around
> the main cardioid of the Mandelbrot set.

[...]

Thank you all for the very kind comments! I still have a
lot of work to do on this. For instance, I need to add a
"throttle" because some people have told me that it runs
a bit too fast on their high-end graphics cards.

:^)

Chris M. Thomasson

> "Christoph M. Becker" wrote in message news:m6fg1g$4b6$1@solani.org...

> > Chris M. Thomasson wrote:

> > http://webpages.charter.net/appcore/fractal/webglx/ct_complex_...
> >
> > Well, does it work for you?

> My Chrome 39.0.2171.71 m (64-bit) alerts: "Cannot load WegGL
> Context!!!!". The same happens after having updated to 39.0.2171.95 m
> (64-bit).

Humm... I wonder if WebGL is enabled in your Chrome browser, or if your
GPU does not support it. Other than that, I am at a loss as to why it does
not
work for you; sorry about that!

;^(

Melzzzzz

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 21:09:03 -0800
"Chris M. Thomasson" <no@spam.invalid> wrote:

> http://webpages.charter.net/appcore/fractal/webglx/ct_complex_...
>

> Well, does it work for you?
>

> Thanks!

Works, I see animation in firefox.

James Van Buskirk

> "Chris M. Thomasson" wrote in message

> > FWIW, here is a crude animated GPU-based tour of Julia set around
> > the main cardioid of the Mandelbrot set.

> [...]

> Thank you all for the very kind comments! I still have a
> lot of work to do on this. For instance, I need to add a
> "throttle" because some people have told me that it runs
> a bit too fast on their high-end graphics cards.

Also it has to detect window size and fill the graphics
window it's being drawn in, maybe disable scaling if in
full screen mode. Works MSIE 11.

Christoph M. Becker

Chris M. Thomasson wrote:

>> "Christoph M. Becker" wrote in message news:m6fg1g$4b6$1@solani.org...
>
>> > Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
>

>> http://webpages.charter.net/appcore/fractal/webglx/ct_complex_...
>> >
>> > Well, does it work for you?
>
>> My Chrome 39.0.2171.71 m (64-bit) alerts: "Cannot load WegGL
>> Context!!!!". The same happens after having updated to 39.0.2171.95 m
>> (64-bit).
>
> Humm... I wonder if WebGL is enabled in your Chrome browser, or if your
> GPU does not support it. Other than that, I am at a loss as to why it
> does not
> work for you; sorry about that!

Apparently, WebGL is unavailable on my Chrome[1], even though
chrome://gpu reports otherwise. Anyhow, that would be an issue for
another newsgroup/support forum.

Your program works fine on my Firefox, BTW. :)

[1] <http://get.webg...

--
Christoph M. Becker

Chris M. Thomasson

> "James Van Buskirk" wrote in message news:m6i1to$eq5$1@dont-email.me...

> > "Chris M. Thomasson" wrote in message

> > "Chris M. Thomasson" wrote in message

> > > FWIW, here is a crude animated GPU-based tour of Julia set around
> > > the main cardioid of the Mandelbrot set.

> > [...]

> > Thank you all for the very kind comments! I still have a
> > lot of work to do on this. For instance, I need to add a
> > "throttle" because some people have told me that it runs
> > a bit too fast on their high-end graphics cards.

> Also it has to detect window size and fill the graphics
> window it's being drawn in, maybe disable scaling if in
> full screen mode. Works MSIE 11.

I agree, and thank you for giving it a try James! However,
I must say that I am a bit worried that a User just might not
have a GPU that is "up to par" wrt the size of their "viewport"
and end up destroying any peformance they may have had at
the smaller size...

Humm... You can set this manually right now by saving
the HTML locally, then edit it using your favorite text
editor. Just open the HTML, and search for the text
"prv_resize_canvas" without the quotes, and manually
change the dimensions; they are hardcoded at 1024x1024
now. I can make it an "automatic" process, but am a little
afraid!

;^o

FWIW, I recently witnessed this running on a friends computer
equipped with a very nice NIVIDA graphics card, and it almost
runs a little too fast for my eye! So, this would work nicely there,
but perhaps not everywhere.

Humm...

I have a lot to ponder here!

:^)

Chris M. Thomasson

> "Christoph M. Becker" wrote in message news:m6k1os$lrb$1@solani.org...

> > Chris M. Thomasson wrote:

[...]

> Apparently, WebGL is unavailable on my Chrome[1], even though
> chrome://gpu reports otherwise. Anyhow, that would be an issue for
> another newsgroup/support forum.

> Your program works fine on my Firefox, BTW. :)

Thank you so much for trying it out on another browser!

:^)