Mac OS X Leopard - Ruby is 3X faster with disable-pthreads

Aryk Grosz

10/26/2008 5:00:00 AM

I have a fast mac pro computer.

I ran simple benchmark, and my computer took 13 seconds when
equal/slower macs around my office were only taking 2.5 seconds to
complete the exact same task.

I also noticed that my ruby was generally less zippier.

So I configure ruby to run WITHOUT pthread support, and now its at the
same speed as the other computers.

I dont really know how this could potentially screw things up, but Im
definitely liking the speed increase. The compiler told me the
following:

**
** PTHREAD SUPPORT MODE ERROR:
**
** Ruby is not compiled with --enable-pthread, but your Tcl/Tk
** library seems to be compiled with pthread support. This
** combination may cause frequent hang or segmentation fault
** errors when Ruby/Tk is working. We recommend that you NEVER
** create the library with such a combination of pthread support.
**
** Please recompile Ruby with the "--enable-pthread" configure option
** or recompile Tcl/Tk with the "--disable-threads" configure option.
**

What Im curious about is, why the big speed difference? Its a night and
day difference in performance. Is there any kind of other performance
issues that I have to watch out for now, like more frequent crashing or
something?

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

On Oct 25, 2008, at 9:59 PM, Aryk Grosz wrote:

> I have a fast mac pro computer.
>
> I ran simple benchmark, and my computer took 13 seconds when
> equal/slower macs around my office were only taking 2.5 seconds to
> complete the exact same task.
>
> I also noticed that my ruby was generally less zippier.
>
> So I configure ruby to run WITHOUT pthread support, and now its at the
> same speed as the other computers.
>
> I dont really know how this could potentially screw things up, but Im
> definitely liking the speed increase. The compiler told me the
> following:
>
> **
> ** PTHREAD SUPPORT MODE ERROR:
> **
> ** Ruby is not compiled with --enable-pthread, but your Tcl/Tk
> ** library seems to be compiled with pthread support. This
> ** combination may cause frequent hang or segmentation fault
> ** errors when Ruby/Tk is working. We recommend that you NEVER
> ** create the library with such a combination of pthread support.
> **
> ** Please recompile Ruby with the "--enable-pthread" configure
> option
> ** or recompile Tcl/Tk with the "--disable-threads" configure
> option.
> **
>
> What Im curious about is, why the big speed difference? Its a night
> and
> day difference in performance. Is there any kind of other performance
> issues that I have to watch out for now, like more frequent crashing
> or
> something?

As long as you aren't using tk at all then you have no issue to watch
out for. I compile *all* of my ruby's with pthreads disabled including
all engine yard slices.

Cheers-

Ezra Zygmuntowicz
ez@engineyard.com

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Quoting Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezmobius@gmail.com>:

> On Oct 25, 2008, at 9:59 PM, Aryk Grosz wrote:
>
>> I have a fast mac pro computer.
>>
>> I ran simple benchmark, and my computer took 13 seconds when
>> equal/slower macs around my office were only taking 2.5 seconds to
>> complete the exact same task.
>>
>> I also noticed that my ruby was generally less zippier.
>>
>> So I configure ruby to run WITHOUT pthread support, and now its at the
>> same speed as the other computers.
>>
>> I dont really know how this could potentially screw things up, but Im
>> definitely liking the speed increase. The compiler told me the
>> following:
>>
>> **
>> ** PTHREAD SUPPORT MODE ERROR:
>> **
>> ** Ruby is not compiled with --enable-pthread, but your Tcl/Tk
>> ** library seems to be compiled with pthread support. This
>> ** combination may cause frequent hang or segmentation fault
>> ** errors when Ruby/Tk is working. We recommend that you NEVER
>> ** create the library with such a combination of pthread support.
>> **
>> ** Please recompile Ruby with the "--enable-pthread" configure option
>> ** or recompile Tcl/Tk with the "--disable-threads" configure option.
>> **
>>
>> What Im curious about is, why the big speed difference? Its a night and
>> day difference in performance. Is there any kind of other performance
>> issues that I have to watch out for now, like more frequent crashing or
>> something?
>> --=20
>> Posted via http://www.ruby-....
>>

> =09As long as you aren't using tk at all then you have no issue to watch
> out for. I compile *all* of my ruby's with pthreads disabled including
> all engine yard slices.

You can also recompile "tcl" and "tk" with "pthreads" disabled. I =20
ended up having to run all three of them with pthreads for some other =20
dependency, although I don't remember which one. And I think Ruby 1.9 =20
requires pthreads.

Sergio66

On 20 dez, 18:38, Reddog <c_braunst...@msn.com> wrote:
> On Dec 20, 12:55 pm, tntquality <tntqual...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > I am very concerned also...I paypaled this guy $400 for the boards and
> > the top fish 3 weeks ago and I have heard nothing either....I have
> > opened up a claim with paypal....Todd from TNT Amusements
>
> I emailed about the boards, which were supposedly from a HSII.
> Looking at the picture of the head, you could see the top of the head
> just a little bit and it definitely was not from a HSII, looked more
> like a Fish Tales or a Whitewater.  This appears to be the same person
> who ran this scam about a year ago and another time just a month or 2
> ago with a FT playfield and board set.  See Mark Ray Copeland/Josh
> Miller/Heather Phillips from the same area.

I'm from Brazil and have paid him for a Gettaway hs2 board set. And he
never answered the mails. So ...Well better open a claim at paypal...

kruzman

On Dec 30, 7:07 am, Sergio66 <sergi...@pinballclube.com.br> wrote:
> On 20 dez, 18:38, Reddog <c_braunst...@msn.com> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 20, 12:55 pm, tntquality <tntqual...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > > I am very concerned also...I paypaled this guy $400 for the boards and
> > > the top fish 3 weeks ago and I have heard nothing either....I have
> > > opened up a claim with paypal....Todd from TNT Amusements
>
> > I emailed about the boards, which were supposedly from a HSII.
> > Looking at the picture of the head, you could see the top of the head
> > just a little bit and it definitely was not from a HSII, looked more
> > like a Fish Tales or a Whitewater.  This appears to be the same person
> > who ran this scam about a year ago and another time just a month or 2
> > ago with a FT playfield and board set.  See Mark Ray Copeland/Josh
> > Miller/Heather Phillips from the same area.
>
> I'm from Brazil and have paid him for a Gettaway hs2 board set. And he
> never answered the mails. So ...Well better open a claim at paypal...

I sent a $350 money order to his wife, got screwed on a FT pf that he
sold right here. Rob anthony (boreguard) went to his house, and we
need to gett him to go there somehow. That 350 lost put me over the
edge. he had me make the MO out to heather Phillips. 1228 key mill.
sheridan AR 72150.
I will pay someone $100 to go there for my pf, or one good hit to the
nose. Who wants to earn this C note?

Sergio66

On 30 dez, 10:43, kruzman <kruz...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Dec 30, 7:07 am, Sergio66 <sergi...@pinballclube.com.br> wrote:

> > > I emailed about the boards, which were supposedly from a HSII.
> > > Looking at the picture of the head, you could see the top of the head
> > > just a little bit and it definitely was not from a HSII, looked more
> > > like a Fish Tales or a Whitewater.  This appears to be the same person
> > > who ran this scam about a year ago and another time just a month or 2
> > > ago with a FT playfield and board set.  See Mark Ray Copeland/Josh
> > > Miller/Heather Phillips from the same area.
>
> > I'm from Brazil and have paid him for a Gettaway hs2 board set. And he
> > never answered the mails. So ...Well better open a claim at paypal...
>
> I sent a $350 money order to his wife, got screwed on a FT pf that he
> sold right here. Rob anthony (boreguard) went to his house, and we
> need to gett him to go there somehow. That 350 lost put me over the
> edge. he had me make the MO out to heather Phillips. 1228 key mill.
> sheridan AR 72150.
> I will pay someone $100 to go there for my pf, or one good hit to the
> nose. Who wants to earn this C note?- Ocultar texto das mensagens anteriores -
>
> - Mostrar texto das mensagens anteriores -

Well... this guy is a fuc#*¨¨ SOB
Anyway do you guys think Paypal will refund the money?

americannleaguer

On Dec 30, 7:43 am, kruzman <kruz...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Dec 30, 7:07 am, Sergio66 <sergi...@pinballclube.com.br> wrote:

> > > I emailed about the boards, which were supposedly from a HSII.
> > > Looking at the picture of the head, you could see the top of the head
> > > just a little bit and it definitely was not from a HSII, looked more
> > > like a Fish Tales or a Whitewater.  This appears to be the same person
> > > who ran this scam about a year ago and another time just a month or 2
> > > ago with a FT playfield and board set.  See Mark Ray Copeland/Josh
> > > Miller/Heather Phillips from the same area.
>
> > I'm from Brazil and have paid him for a Gettaway hs2 board set. And he
> > never answered the mails. So ...Well better open a claim at paypal...
>
> I sent a $350 money order to his wife, got screwed on a FT pf that he
> sold right here. Rob anthony (boreguard) went to his house, and we
> need to gett him to go there somehow. That 350 lost put me over the
> edge. he had me make the MO out to heather Phillips. 1228 key mill.
> sheridan AR 72150.
> I will pay someone $100 to go there for my pf, or one good hit to the
> nose. Who wants to earn this C note?- Hide quoted text -

I have the feeling if anyone goes there to do what you are asking,
shotguns may be involved. Use mapquest with satellite view and you'll
understand.

americannleaguer

On Dec 30, 8:51 am, Sergio66 <sergi...@pinballclube.com.br> wrote:
> On 30 dez, 10:43, kruzman <kruz...@aol.com> wrote:

> > > I'm from Brazil and have paid him for a Gettaway hs2 board set. And he
> > > never answered the mails. So ...Well better open a claim at paypal...
>
> > I sent a $350 money order to his wife, got screwed on a FT pf that he
> > sold right here. Rob anthony (boreguard) went to his house, and we
> > need to gett him to go there somehow. That 350 lost put me over the
> > edge. he had me make the MO out to heather Phillips. 1228 key mill.
> > sheridan AR 72150.
> > I will pay someone $100 to go there for my pf, or one good hit to the
> > nose. Who wants to earn this C note?- Ocultar texto das mensagens anteriores -
>
> > - Mostrar texto das mensagens anteriores -
>
> Well... this guy is a fuc#*¨¨ SOB
> Anyway do you guys think Paypal will refund the money?- Hide quoted text -

Buyers are protected when using Paypal. Just ask Paypal.

Les Manley

On Dec 30, 8:01 am, MrBally <americannleag...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 30, 8:51 am, Sergio66 <sergi...@pinballclube.com.br> wrote:

> > > I sent a $350 money order to his wife, got screwed on a FT pf that he
> > > sold right here. Rob anthony (boreguard) went to his house, and we
> > > need to gett him to go there somehow. That 350 lost put me over the
> > > edge. he had me make the MO out to heather Phillips. 1228 key mill.
> > > sheridan AR 72150.
> > > I will pay someone $100 to go there for my pf, or one good hit to the
> > > nose. Who wants to earn this C note?- Ocultar texto das mensagens anteriores -
>
> > > - Mostrar texto das mensagens anteriores -
>
> > Well... this guy is a fuc#*¨¨ SOB
> > Anyway do you guys think Paypal will refund the money?- Hide quoted text -

> Buyers are protected when using Paypal. Just ask Paypal.- Hide quoted text -

If there is no money in his account, you are SOL unless you paid with
a direct bank transer or credit card though paypal. If you paid with
a balance, it won't be good.

Todd Tuckey

I did get my money refunded with paypal....Tracy Walker is definately
a scumbag though.....Todd