Re: Drafting of Ruby International Standard

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: Drafting of Ruby International Standard"
on Sat, 25 Oct 2008 23:27:52 +0900, "Craig Demyanovich" <cdemyanovich@gmail.com> writes:

|Is your extraction of the language specification from the various
|implementations going to be separate from the RubySpec [
|http://rub... ] effort?

It's a separate work.

|If so, why?

ISO or any standard organization would no accept RubySpec like
specification for various (and some good) reasons.

matz.

1 Answer

Joshua Ballanco

Hi Matz,

Good to hear you weigh in on this topic...

On Oct 25, 2008, at 7:17 PM, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Drafting of Ruby International Standard"
> on Sat, 25 Oct 2008 23:27:52 +0900, "Craig Demyanovich" <cdemyanovich@gmail.com
> > writes:
>
> |Is your extraction of the language specification from the various
> |implementations going to be separate from the RubySpec [
> |http://rub... ] effort?
>
> It's a separate work.
>
> |If so, why?
>
> ISO or any standard organization would no accept RubySpec like
> specification for various (and some good) reasons.
>
> matz.

So, can we take this to mean that the intention is to eventually have
an ISO Ruby standard (as opposed to say, Ecma)? Also, while I realize
the logic behind not using a test-suite as a spec, couldn't the ruby-
spec work be included as an official test-suite similar to how POSIX
has the PCTS? Anyway, I'm glad to see work on this front!

-Josh

P.S. Should the ruby-design wiki be updated, or will this work be
happening independent of the ruby-design work?