Looking for an archive of pre 2000 ruby-talk

Dave Thomas

10/24/2008 3:23:00 AM

Mark-Logic goes back to 2002, and Google Groups to mid 2000. blade
seems to start in 2005.

Is there an archive of the older list anywhere?

14 Answers

Harry Kakueki

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Dave Thomas <dave@pragprog.com> wrote:
> Mark-Logic goes back to 2002, and Google Groups to mid 2000. blade seems to
> start in 2005.
>
> Is there an archive of the older list anywhere?

Here is 1998.

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/rub...

Harry

--
A Look into Japanese Ruby List in English
http://www.kakueki.com/ruby...

Dave Thomas

On Oct 23, 2008, at 11:03 PM, Harry Kakueki wrote:

> Here is 1998.
>
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/rub...

Oh: I didn't look far enough down the list. It starts with 2005 at the
top.

Thank you very much.

Ron Lel

On Wednesday, 19 February 2014 08:28:26 UTC+7, Michelle Steiner wrote:
> In article <barmar-DC8A03.14242718022014@news.eternal-september.org>,
>
> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>

> > > Again, I'm mostly interested in Standard American bidding.
>

> > > J5
>
> > > JT65
>
> > > Q73
>
> > > KJ95
>

> > > A987
>
> > > AK8
>
> > > AKT
>
> > > T83
>

> > P 1C
>
> > 1H 2N
>
> > 3N
>

> > If South believes that you should always bid a 4-card major before
>
> > bidding NT, it could go:
>

> > P 1C
>
> > 1H 1S
>
> > 1N 2N
>
> > 3N
>

> > I think this is more common with a minimum hand -- when you have the
>
> > values for 2NT, you should show it. Partner can always check back to
>
> > find a 4-4 spade fit.
>

> I haven't read any other messages in this thread yet.
>

> My partner did rebid 1S over my 1H, and I passed because I thought that
>
> any further bid from me would show more than my 7 HCP. I thought that
>
> he should have bid 2NT over 1H, and I would check back for Spades if I
>
> had four of them. If he had bid 2NT, I would have raised him to three.
>

> I've since promised him that I'd never leave him in a 4-2 fit again.
>

> -- Michelle

You should bid over 1S anyway. I have never understood the fact that changes of suit at the 1 level are nf for some.
Ron

Co Wiersma

RonfromLao schreef op 19-2-2014 4:00:
> On Wednesday, 19 February 2014 08:28:26 UTC+7, Michelle Steiner wrote:

>>> P 1C
>>
>>> 1H 2N
>>
>>> 3N
>>

>>> If South believes that you should always bid a 4-card major before
>>
>>> bidding NT, it could go:
>>

>>> P 1C
>>
>>> 1H 1S
>>
>>> 1N 2N
>>
>>> 3N
>>

>>> I think this is more common with a minimum hand -- when you have the
>>
>>> values for 2NT, you should show it. Partner can always check back to
>>
>>> find a 4-4 spade fit.
>>

>> I haven't read any other messages in this thread yet.
>>

>> My partner did rebid 1S over my 1H, and I passed because I thought that
>>
>> any further bid from me would show more than my 7 HCP. I thought that
>>
>> he should have bid 2NT over 1H, and I would check back for Spades if I
>>
>> had four of them. If he had bid 2NT, I would have raised him to three.
>>

>> I've since promised him that I'd never leave him in a 4-2 fit again.
>>

>> -- Michelle
>
> You should bid over 1S anyway. I have never understood the fact that changes of suit at the 1 level are nf for some.
> Ron

1S is non-forcing by me. But I would not dream of passing on it with 2
spades only. Why put yourself in a very bad fit?

Co Wiersma

goldfarb

In article <180220141828264709%michelle@michelle.org>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:
>In article <barmar-DC8A03.14242718022014@news.eternal-september.org>,
>Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> > Again, I'm mostly interested in Standard American bidding.
>> >
>> > J5
>> > JT65
>> > Q73
>> > KJ95
>> >
>> > A987
>> > AK8
>> > AKT
>> > T83
>>
>> P 1C
>> 1H 2N
>> 3N
>>
>> If South believes that you should always bid a 4-card major before
>> bidding NT, it could go:
>>
>> P 1C
>> 1H 1S
>> 1N 2N
>> 3N
>>
>> I think this is more common with a minimum hand -- when you have the
>> values for 2NT, you should show it. Partner can always check back to
>> find a 4-4 spade fit.
>
>I haven't read any other messages in this thread yet.
>
>My partner did rebid 1S over my 1H, and I passed because I thought that
>any further bid from me would show more than my 7 HCP.

Bids of 1NT or 2C by you would not promise anything beyond a minimum
response. Since you know partner has only 4 spades, you should not
break Burn's Law of Total Trumps by passing.

("When choosing a trump suit, select one in which you have more total
trumps than the opponents.")

Your hand is close between 1NT or 2C; given your hand's strong clubs
and relatively weak red suits, I would probably bid 2C. Note that in
either case, when partner bids on he shows significant extras, interest
in game opposite 6-9. Since you have 8, you should go on to game.

--
David Goldfarb |"'Shut up, shut up, shut up,' says the stranger
goldfarbdj@gmail.com | from the stars!"

judyorcarl

> My partner did rebid 1S over my 1H, and I passed because I thought that
> any further bid from me would show more than my 7 HCP. I thought that

Once spades have been bid, the spade jack is full value.

Also, once clubs have been bid, KJ9x is worth at least 5.

Aside from all that, "a preference is not a raise."

Carl

Lorne

On 19/02/2014 01:28, Michelle Steiner wrote:
> My partner did rebid 1S over my 1H, and I passed because I thought that
> any further bid from me would show more than my 7 HCP. I thought that
> he should have bid 2NT over 1H, and I would check back for Spades if I
> had four of them. If he had bid 2NT, I would have raised him to three.
>
> I've since promised him that I'd never leave him in a 4-2 fit again.

You will be better placed if you agree 1S is forcing otherwise partner
will have to start jumping to 2S on a 4252 hand with 19 points.

If you have enough to respond to 1c or 1D you have enough to respond to
a 1S rebid unless you were trying to improve the contract with a 4441x4
count when you can consider a pass.

Bill Reich

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:28:26 PM UTC-5, Michelle Steiner wrote:
> In article <barmar-DC8A03.14242718022014@news.eternal-september.org>,
>
> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>

> > > Again, I'm mostly interested in Standard American bidding.
>

> > > J5
>
> > > JT65
>
> > > Q73
>
> > > KJ95
>

> > > A987
>
> > > AK8
>
> > > AKT
>
> > > T83
>

> > P 1C
>
> > 1H 2N
>
> > 3N
>

> > If South believes that you should always bid a 4-card major before
>
> > bidding NT, it could go:
>

> > P 1C
>
> > 1H 1S
>
> > 1N 2N
>
> > 3N
>

> > I think this is more common with a minimum hand -- when you have the
>
> > values for 2NT, you should show it. Partner can always check back to
>
> > find a 4-4 spade fit.
>

> I haven't read any other messages in this thread yet.
>

> My partner did rebid 1S over my 1H, and I passed because I thought that
>
> any further bid from me would show more than my 7 HCP. I thought that
>
> he should have bid 2NT over 1H, and I would check back for Spades if I
>
> had four of them. If he had bid 2NT, I would have raised him to three.
>

> I've since promised him that I'd never leave him in a 4-2 fit again.

You have a clear preference for Clubs. You have at least seven Clubs between you, although he should not have only three Clubs on this auction, and only six
Spades. So the weak bid here is 2C, not Pass.

I agree that the 2NT rebid stands out, especially as he did not have four Clubs, but your pass was the only action that _had_ to lead to playing the wrong contract.

--
Will in New Haven

adambeneschan

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:28:26 PM UTC-8, Michelle Steiner wrote:

> My partner did rebid 1S over my 1H, and I passed because I thought that
> any further bid from me would show more than my 7 HCP.

Some experts play that new-suit rebids at the 1 level by opener are forcing.. My understanding is that those who don't play it as forcing play that it can be passed very rarely. Responder would have to have three-card support, and a very minimum response (5 HCP) or perhaps even a hand that's so bad they were stretching to respond at all.

If you can pass with a hand this good, it puts pressure on partner to jump with too many hands, which makes bidding more difficult in general.

-- Adam

Barry Margolin

In article <4a06895d-b924-487d-8911-ddbdbfe8e0ec@googlegroups.com>,
adambeneschan@gmail.com wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:28:26 PM UTC-8, Michelle Steiner wrote:
>
> > My partner did rebid 1S over my 1H, and I passed because I thought that
> > any further bid from me would show more than my 7 HCP.
>
> Some experts play that new-suit rebids at the 1 level by opener are forcing.
> My understanding is that those who don't play it as forcing play that it can
> be passed very rarely. Responder would have to have three-card support, and
> a very minimum response (5 HCP) or perhaps even a hand that's so bad they
> were stretching to respond at all.

That's my understanding as well. Something like 3433 or 3442 with 5-6
HCP, none of them in the diamond suit. Maybe 3541, again with really bad
diamonds.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA