[ANN] hoe 1.8.1 Released

Ryan Davis

10/22/2008 2:28:00 PM

hoe version 1.8.1 has been released!

* <http://rubyforge.org/projects/seat...
* <http://seattlerb.rubyforge.or...
* <ryand-ruby@zenspider.com>

Hoe is a simple rake/rubygems helper for project Rakefiles. It
generates all the usual tasks for projects including rdoc generation,
testing, packaging, and deployment.

Tasks Provided:

* announce - Create news email file and post to rubyforge.
* audit - Run ZenTest against the package.
* check_manifest - Verify the manifest.
* clean - Clean up all the extras.
* config_hoe - Create a fresh ~/.hoerc file.
* debug_gem - Show information about the gem.
* default - Run the default tasks.
* deps:email - Print a contact list for gems dependent on this gem
* deps:fetch - Fetch all the dependent gems of this gem into
tarballs
* deps:list - List all the dependent gems of this gem
* docs - Build the docs HTML Files
* email - Generate email announcement file.
* gem - Build the gem file hoe-1.8.0.gem
* generate_key - Generate a key for signing your gems.
* install_gem - Install the package as a gem.
* multi - Run the test suite using multiruby.
* package - Build all the packages
* post_blog - Post announcement to blog.
* post_news - Post announcement to rubyforge.
* publish_docs - Publish RDoc to RubyForge.
* release - Package and upload the release to rubyforge.
* ridocs - Generate ri locally for testing.
* tasks - Generate a list of tasks for doco.
* test - Run the test suite.
* test_deps - Show which test files fail when run alone.

See class rdoc for help. Hint: ri Hoe

Changes:

### 1.8.1 / 2008-10-22

* 1 bug fix:

* Fixes for windows compatibility from Luis Lavena.

* <http://rubyforge.org/projects/seat...
* <http://seattlerb.rubyforge.or...
* <ryand-ruby@zenspider.com>

4 Answers

Fred.

On Sunday, February 16, 2014 8:01:45 AM UTC-5, Co Wiersma wrote:
> Kenny McCormack schreef op 16-2-2014 13:34:
>
> > This hand came up in BBO (so assume default assumptions - i.e., pd is idiot)
>
> > Although, in fact, this isn't all that relevant...
>

> > You are 5413 with AKJ spades and heart A. Pd opens 1N (15-17). Your plan?
>

> > How do you get to the best major suit fit, without risking partner passing
>
> > at some point below game? In the event, I just transferred and bid 3N,
>
> > missing a 4-4 heart fit (pd was 2-4 in the majors). As it happens, this
>
> > was IMPs so it didn't matter that much (NT makes 4, hearts makes 5, but
>
> > most people were in hearts). At MPs, this would matter more, of course.
>

> > Note, BTW, that if you Stayman and pd bids 2H, you're still not sure. If
>
> > you just bid 4H now (as most would do), spades could still be better.
>

> This one is easy.
>
> Every idiot will understand 2H followed by 3H.
>

> The other way around is harder. Some will bid 2D followed by 2S as
>
> showing a gameforce with 5 hearts and 4 spades. Others would only see a
>
> new bid on the 3-level as 100% forcing.
>

> If you want to play this via Stayman, your problem is that some may play
>
> Smolen and others do not.
>

> There is no way to find out if the 4-4 fit or the 5-4 fit is better, so
>
> do not bother with that.(the 4-4 fit will quite often end up in the same
>
> result, sometimes even better!)
>

> Co Wiersma

I think the normal interpretation of

1NT 2H
2S 3H

in Standard American is a game forcing
5-5. Surely this is not a hand which
is likely to come out OK playing the
Moysian. Dummy is not going to take the
first ruff and the suit is not going to
be strong enough I would far rather bid
Stayman and hope that partner or will be
able to field

1NT 2C
2D 3S

as having its Standard American 101 meaning
when there is no agreement to contrary. Surely,
the default on an undiscussed call is natural and
the default on an undiscussed jump is forcing.

Fred.

judyorcarl

> 1NT 2H
>
> 2S 3H
>

> in Standard American is a game forcing
>
> 5-5.

What is your reference for 5-5?

If you have 5=4=31, how else can you sensibly warn of fear of notrump. Not for the 4-3 but for the 5-2.

Carl

judyorcarl

On Monday, February 24, 2014 9:24:47 PM UTC-5, judyo...@verizon.net wrote:
> > 1NT 2H
>

> > 2S 3H
>

> > in Standard American is a game forcing
>

> > 5-5.
>

> What is your reference for 5-5?
>

> If you have 5=4=31, how else can you sensibly warn of fear of notrump. Not for the 4-3 but for the 5-2.
>> Carl

More important: To *demand* play in the 5-3, rather than suggest.

Fred.

On Monday, February 24, 2014 9:24:47 PM UTC-5, judyo...@verizon.net wrote:
> > 1NT 2H
>

> > 2S 3H
>

> > in Standard American is a game forcing
>

> > 5-5.
>

> What is your reference for 5-5?
>

> If you have 5=4=31, how else can you sensibly warn of fear of notrump. Not for the 4-3 but for the 5-2.
>

> Carl

I said "I think" because I was uncertain. However, it's what the ACBL
propagates in _Learn to Play Bridge 2_ leaving all major 5-4's to Stayman.
BWS handles 5-4's through Smolen which would leave the 5-5 interpretation
open. There may be room for a 4-card heart rebid on a 5=4 with strong slam
interest. There's no need for an invitational 3S over a 2D rebid when
2S is invitational even playing garbage Stayman.

Showing the 5=4 tells partner you would rather not play no-trump. A.
5=4=2=2 heavy in the doubletons can be treated as a 5=3-3-2 or 4=4-3-2.

With a 5=4=1=3 where you are unwilling to treat the 5-card
suit as a 6-carder neither major is likely to be playable facing 2=3 in
the majors. 5C could be the best spot, but partner has no way to know
your singleton is in diamonds.

Fred.