Manual Testing

Adam Anderson

10/20/2008 11:41:00 PM

I'm trying to figure out a good way to incorporate manual testing into
automated testing. I have a little snippet of what I've been working on
at http://gist.githu...

It basically assumes a manual test has a description and a series of
steps. Steps can take blocks of code to be executed in the context of
the test. I think this is a good start, but I haven't been able to think
of a good way to run manual tests by themselves or even in combination
with automated tests. As you can see in the gist I tried using
ENV['MANUAL'] but that will only work if the spec is part of a rake task
since using 'ruby' or 'spec' will attempt to gobble up the environment
variable assignment:

$ rake spec MANUAL=true <-- works
$ ruby foo.rb MANUAL=true <-- FAIL
$ spec foo.rb MANUAL=true <-- FAIL

So if anyone has any insights on how they've done manual testing or any
inspiration(:D) from the gist please let me know.

Thanks,
Adam

Note: I spiked this out a while back with the Moonit gem(which was for
test::unit), but I was not happy with the results.

Vassilis Rizopoulos

Adam Anderson wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out a good way to incorporate manual testing into
> automated testing. I have a little snippet of what I've been working on
> at http://gist.githu...
>
> It basically assumes a manual test has a description and a series of
> steps. Steps can take blocks of code to be executed in the context of
> the test. I think this is a good start, but I haven't been able to think
> of a good way to run manual tests by themselves or even in combination
> with automated tests. As you can see in the gist I tried using
> ENV['MANUAL'] but that will only work if the spec is part of a rake task
> since using 'ruby' or 'spec' will attempt to gobble up the environment
> variable assignment:
>
> $ rake spec MANUAL=true <-- works
> $ ruby foo.rb MANUAL=true <-- FAIL
> $ spec foo.rb MANUAL=true <-- FAIL
>
> So if anyone has any insights on how they've done manual testing or any
> inspiration(:D) from the gist please let me know.
>

> Thanks,
> Adam
>
> Note: I spiked this out a while back with the Moonit gem(which was for
> test::unit), but I was not happy with the results.

Shameless plug: Check http://patir.rubyforge.... for a way to
organize the tests how you describe.
The whole project started with the same requirements: a mix of automated
and manual tests, so there is provision for such tests.
Cheers,
V.-

--
http://www.braveworl...

Adam Anderson

I released the gist as the horrible gem.

http://github.com/scudco...