Best Command Prompt

gewton

10/20/2008 1:04:00 PM

There's a good command interpreter for ruby instead of irb? Like
ipython for python?
7 Answers

Trans

On Oct 20, 9:05=A0am, gewton <gjha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's a good command interpreter for ruby instead of irb? Like
> ipython for python?

How is ipython better than irb?

I've been using wirble which improves irb a bit (although I hate that
it doesn't allow duplicate entries in the history --anyone know how to
fix?).

T.

Jens Wille

hi trans!

Trans [2008-10-20 15:23]:
> I've been using wirble which improves irb a bit (although I hate that
> it doesn't allow duplicate entries in the history --anyone know how to
> fix?).
i always hated that it would store history entries in oldest-first
order. so i just copied the code for save_history from wirble.rb
into my .irbrc and adjusted it accordingly:

require 'wirble'

# save history newest-first, instead of default oldest-first
class Wirble::History
def save_history
return unless Object.const_defined? :IRB

path, max_size, perms = %w{path size perms}.map { |v| cfg(v) }

# read lines from history, and truncate the list (if necessary)
#lines = Readline::HISTORY.to_a.uniq
lines = Readline::HISTORY.to_a.reverse.uniq.reverse
lines = lines[-max_size..-1] if lines.size > max_size

# write the history file
real_path = File.expand_path(path)
File.open(real_path, perms) { |fh| fh.puts lines }
say 'Saved %d lines to history file %s.' % [lines.size, path]

you could simply change the line that fills the 'lines' array to
something like this:

lines = Readline::HISTORY.to_a

cheers
jens

Robert Klemme

2008/10/20 gewton <gjhames@gmail.com>:
> There's a good command interpreter for ruby instead of irb? Like
> ipython for python?

What functionality are you missing in IRB?

Kind regards

robert

Trans

On Oct 20, 9:33=A0am, Jens Wille <jens.wi...@uni-koeln.de> wrote:
> hi trans!
>
> Trans [2008-10-20 15:23]:> I've been using wirble which improves irb a bi=
t (although I hate that
> > it doesn't allow duplicate entries in the history --anyone know how to
> > fix?).
>
> i always hated that it would store history entries in oldest-first
> order. so i just copied the code for save_history from wirble.rb
> into my .irbrc and adjusted it accordingly:
>
> =A0 require 'wirble'
>
> =A0 # save history newest-first, instead of default oldest-first
> =A0 class Wirble::History
> =A0 =A0 def save_history
> =A0 =A0 =A0 return unless Object.const_defined? :IRB
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 path, max_size, perms =3D %w{path size perms}.map { |v| cfg(v=
) }

> =A0 =A0 =A0 # read lines from history, and truncate the list (if necessar=
y)
> =A0 =A0 =A0 #lines =3D Readline::HISTORY.to_a.uniq
> =A0 =A0 =A0 lines =3D Readline::HISTORY.to_a.reverse.uniq.reverse
> =A0 =A0 =A0 lines =3D lines[-max_size..-1] if lines.size > max_size
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 # write the history file
> =A0 =A0 =A0 real_path =3D File.expand_path(path)
> =A0 =A0 =A0 File.open(real_path, perms) { |fh| fh.puts lines }
> =A0 =A0 =A0 say 'Saved %d lines to history file %s.' % [lines.size, path]
> =A0 =A0 end
> =A0 end
>
> you could simply change the line that fills the 'lines' array to
> something like this:
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 lines =3D Readline::HISTORY.to_a

awesome. thanks jens.

maybe i'll do a little work on wirble to make it more flexible for
variant preferences like ours and post a patch.

t.

Jens Wille

Trans [2008-10-20 18:31]:
> maybe i'll do a little work on wirble to make it more flexible
> for variant preferences like ours and post a patch.
that would be great! let me know if i can lend a hand.

cheers
jens

David Warburton

Robert Klemme wrote:
> 2008/10/20 gewton <gjhames@gmail.com>:
>> There's a good command interpreter for ruby instead of irb? Like
>> ipython for python?
>
> What functionality are you missing in IRB?
>
> Kind regards
>
> robert
I believe what he's looking for is a *nix command shell (like sh) that
implements ruby scripting language features.

Hassan Schroeder

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 11:08 AM, David Warburton <modnar13@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I believe what he's looking for is a *nix command shell (like sh) that
> implements ruby scripting language features.

If that's the case: <http://rush.herok...

FWIW,