### Download Hot Babes Shooting Guns ###

Larry Bird

Ron Lel

On Thursday, 13 February 2014 06:02:08 UTC+7, David Goldfarb wrote:
> In article <n0vGMI.r0x@kithrup.com>,
>
> David Goldfarb <goldfarbdj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Matchpoints, neither vulnerable. You, East, hold:
>

> >JT5
>
> >7
>
> >AJ7642
>
> >T53
>

> >South deals:
>

> >West North East South
>
> >-------------------------------
>
> > -- -- -- P
>
> > 1C 1S P 2S
>
> > 3H 3S P P
>
> > 4C P ?
>

> >What do you do?
>

> I was with everyone here: I raised to 5. Partner held:
>

> Q4
>
> KQJ3

> AKQ976
>

> and the opponents took the first three tricks, down 1. The field
>
> was playing a club partscore our way (more often in 3 than 4, to
>
> be sure) and getting +130.
>

> --
>
> David Goldfarb |"Hey, mister! Are you about to drag our brother off
>
> goldfarbdj@gmail.com | to a bleak nether realm of despair where the
>
> goldfarb@ocf.berkeley.edu | future is nothing but an endless sea of anguish
>
> | and horrible misery?"
>
> | "Yah."
>
> |"We wanna go tooooo!" -- Animaniacs

Get a new partner or teach this one how to bid competitively.
Ron

Jeffrey Turner

On 2/12/2014 6:02 PM, David Goldfarb wrote:
> In article <n0vGMI.r0x@kithrup.com>,
> David Goldfarb <goldfarbdj@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Matchpoints, neither vulnerable. You, East, hold:
>>
>> JT5
>> 7
>> AJ7642
>> T53
>>
>> South deals:
>>
>> West North East South
>> -------------------------------
>> -- -- -- P
>> 1C 1S P 2S
>> 3H 3S P P
>> 4C P ?
>>
>> What do you do?
>
> I was with everyone here: I raised to 5. Partner held:
>
> Q4
> KQJ3
> AKQ976
>
> and the opponents took the first three tricks, down 1. The field
> was playing a club partscore our way (more often in 3 than 4, to
> be sure) and getting +130.

Partner bid 4C unsupported on 15 HCP and a doubleton spade?

--Jeff

goldfarb

In article <741a2e27-1dfa-47bd-a33b-8676dbc0caa6@googlegroups.com>,
RonfromLao <ronfromlao@gmail.com> wrote:

>Get a new partner or teach this one how to bid competitively.

I certainly have no plans to dump this partner; for the most part
he is extremely satisfactory. I agree he was a bit overly aggressive
on this deal, but can you honestly tell me that you have never made
a worse bid?

--
David Goldfarb |"Ah, Amerikanski humor. Is most funny.
goldfarbdj@gmail.com |
| We bomb now." -- J. Michael Straczynski

goldfarb

In article <v6-dnfXJA79JtGHPnZ2dnUVZ_rSdnZ2d@supernews.com>,
Jeffrey Turner <jturner@alum.rpi.edu> wrote:
>> Q4
>> KQJ3
>> AKQ976
>
>Partner bid 4C unsupported on 15 HCP and a doubleton spade?

15 HCP, but quite a few offensive tricks. It was neither vul
at matchpoints; he expected that 3S was making and 4C would go
down one or two. He was wrong about 3S making, but it would take
double-dummy defense or else a penalty double to score better than
the +130 we were due.

--
David Goldfarb | "And it came to pass by the way in the inn,
goldfarbdj@gmail.com | that the LORD met him, and sought to kill him."

Ron Lel

On Thursday, 13 February 2014 12:52:20 UTC+7, David Goldfarb wrote:
> In article <741a2e27-1dfa-47bd-a33b-8676dbc0caa6@googlegroups.com>,
>
> RonfromLao <ronfromlao@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >Get a new partner or teach this one how to bid competitively.
>

> I certainly have no plans to dump this partner; for the most part
>
> he is extremely satisfactory. I agree he was a bit overly aggressive
>
> on this deal, but can you honestly tell me that you have never made
>
> a worse bid?
>

> --
>
> David Goldfarb |"Ah, Amerikanski humor. Is most funny.
>
> goldfarbdj@gmail.com |
>
> goldfarb@ocf.berkeley.edu |
>
> | We bomb now." -- J. Michael Straczynski

The 4C bid was horrible for a variety of reasons, not the least that it caused you to (correctly) bid 5C.
Ron

bde

In article <120220141630224286%michelle@michelle.org>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:
>In article <n0wnzK.16wz@kithrup.com>, David Goldfarb
><goldfarb@ocf.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>> I was with everyone here: I raised to 5. Partner held:

Not everyone :-).

>> Q4
>> KQJ3
>> AKQ976
>>
>> and the opponents took the first three tricks, down 1. The field
>> was playing a club partscore our way (more often in 3 than 4, to
>> be sure) and getting +130.

Even more clearly, you were playing fast arrival, with partner's pass of
3S showing extras. Otherwise, this hand has already overbid enough and
would pass 3S. (It forced to 4C possibly facing xxx xx xxxxx xx.
Hopefully down only 2.)

>Maybe your partner should have doubled 3S, asking you to choose between
>hearts and clubs; on the bidding, there's no way it can be a penalty
>double.

Clearly it should be a penalty-oriented double, to convert partner's
forcing pass on a possible misfit to penalties. Holding 2 spades here
is unexpected good defense and bad offense. Qx makes it even more
defense-oriented. On partner's actual hand with a club fit, it is
hard to pass since he has a slam try, but 3Sx is your best spot since
3NT and 5C are down 1. 3Sx loses 1 spade, 2-4 hearts, 1 diamond,
diamond ruff and 1-2 clubs most days for down 2-4. 3S was a large
error.

I don't see any better bid than the 3H overbid. Maybe 2NT (good/bad)
then 3H to show the bad 3H. 3H usually has 5-6 shape.

Bruce

bde

In article <v6-dnfXJA79JtGHPnZ2dnUVZ_rSdnZ2d@supernews.com>,
Jeffrey Turner <jturner@alum.rpi.edu> wrote:
>On 2/12/2014 6:02 PM, David Goldfarb wrote:
>> In article <n0vGMI.r0x@kithrup.com>,
>> David Goldfarb <goldfarbdj@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Matchpoints, neither vulnerable. You, East, hold:
>>>
>>> JT5
>>> 7
>>> AJ7642
>>> T53
>>>
>>> South deals:
>>>
>>> West North East South
>>> -------------------------------
>>> -- -- -- P
>>> 1C 1S P 2S
>>> 3H 3S P P
>>> 4C P ?
>>>
>>> What do you do?
>>
>> I was with everyone here: I raised to 5. Partner held:
>>
>> Q4
>> KQJ3
>> AKQ976
>>
>> and the opponents took the first three tricks, down 1. The field
>> was playing a club partscore our way (more often in 3 than 4, to
>> be sure) and getting +130.
>
>Partner bid 4C unsupported on 15 HCP and a doubleton spade?

Clearly (:-) he plays fast arrival. The pass of 3S showed support with
extras. 4C was an attempt to sign off with a bad hand (so bad for defense
that it didn't want to try a double or 3NT). Unfortunately partner had
too many extras.

Bruce

Michelle Steiner

In article <ldhp4g$glk$1@dont-email.me>, Bruce Evans
<bde@besplex.bde.org> wrote:

> >Maybe your partner should have doubled 3S, asking you to choose between
> >hearts and clubs; on the bidding, there's no way it can be a penalty
> >double.
>
> Clearly it should be a penalty-oriented double, to convert partner's
> forcing pass on a possible misfit to penalties.

N and S both bid spades, so how can they have a misfit? Also, E passed
throughout, so how can is third pass be a forcing pass?

I'm puzzled.

-- Michelle

dake50@aol.com

JT5
7
AJ7642
T53

Q4
KQJ3
AKQ976

*** What would partner do IF he only needed ONE good card from SAK+HA+DA?
Or only ONE for 6C?
Even allowing 1-trick pushy to stay competitive, this is too much.
Having 1-trick on this auction, 5C seems clear.
Won't I be trusted to go 4C with one trick? Or double?
Partner goes unilateral overbidding and 5C is questioned? Bizarre!

Bill Reich

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:52:20 AM UTC-5, David Goldfarb wrote:
> In article <741a2e27-1dfa-47bd-a33b-8676dbc0caa6@googlegroups.com>,
>
> RonfromLao <ronfromlao@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >Get a new partner or teach this one how to bid competitively.
>

> I certainly have no plans to dump this partner; for the most part
>
> he is extremely satisfactory. I agree he was a bit overly aggressive
>
> on this deal, but can you honestly tell me that you have never made
>
> a worse bid?

Than your pass over 3S? Sure I have. However, you should have bid 4C and your partner, who has already bid out his hand, should _pass_ it. Basically, you gave him a choice of defending 3S or playing 5C.

--
Will in New Haven