Low level syntax highlighting tools?

Gregory Brown

10/18/2008 3:41:00 PM

I'll confess I didn't research this deeply, in hopes that someone
knows of a library and can point me right at it.

Are there any syntax gems out there that'll spit back simple strings
and color values,
something like:

[["def foo\n", "ccffcc"], [" bar()\n", "ffffff" ], ["end", "ccffcc"]]

If such a tool exists, I can rejoice, because it'd allow me to build
an awsum Prawn based presentation builder.

-greg

--
Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacr... | Non-tech
stuff at: http://metametta.bl...

4 Answers

Jean-François Trân

2008/10/18 Gregory Brown :

> I'll confess I didn't research this deeply, in hopes that someone
> knows of a library and can point me right at it.
>
> Are there any syntax gems out there that'll spit back simple strings
> and color values,
> something like:
>
> [["def foo\n", "ccffcc"], [" bar()\n", "ffffff" ], ["end", "ccffcc"]]

I guess no, but if you're using a syntax-colorizing, I think the
thing to do is using the scanner/tokenizer part, that will yield you
tokens for a specified language, and then you just have to create
your own class of Encoder/Converter that will consume tokens
and generate what you need, here an array like you want. It should
be easy, for example, with CodeRay [1] : write your encoder, and
don't use the html encoder.

> If such a tool exists, I can rejoice, because it'd allow me to build
> an awsum Prawn based presentation builder.

Very interesting. I was also thinking of using Prawn to generate
slides.

-- Jean-Fran=E7ois.

[1] http://coderay.r...

--=20
Les 50 ans du Lisp : http://www....
http://twitter.com/...

Gregory Brown

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Jean-Fran=E7ois Tr=E2n
<jftran@rubyfrance.org> wrote:
> 2008/10/18 Gregory Brown :
>
>> I'll confess I didn't research this deeply, in hopes that someone
>> knows of a library and can point me right at it.
>>
>> Are there any syntax gems out there that'll spit back simple strings
>> and color values,
>> something like:
>>
>> [["def foo\n", "ccffcc"], [" bar()\n", "ffffff" ], ["end", "ccffcc"]]
>
> I guess no, but if you're using a syntax-colorizing, I think the
> thing to do is using the scanner/tokenizer part, that will yield you
> tokens for a specified language, and then you just have to create
> your own class of Encoder/Converter that will consume tokens
> and generate what you need, here an array like you want. It should
> be easy, for example, with CodeRay [1] : write your encoder, and
> don't use the html encoder.

Cool, I'll look into this, thanks.

>> If such a tool exists, I can rejoice, because it'd allow me to build
>> an awsum Prawn based presentation builder.
>
> Very interesting. I was also thinking of using Prawn to generate
> slides.

This code is very old, but will eventually be replaced with modernized
Prawn code:
http://github.com/sandal/brine/t...

If you're thinking of working on this, you're welcome to fork this
repos so that we don't duplicate effort.

--=20
Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacr... | Non-tech
stuff at: http://metametta.bl...

ara.t.howard

On Oct 18, 2008, at 9:41 AM, Gregory Brown wrote:

> I'll confess I didn't research this deeply, in hopes that someone
> knows of a library and can point me right at it.
>
> Are there any syntax gems out there that'll spit back simple strings
> and color values,
> something like:
>
> [["def foo\n", "ccffcc"], [" bar()\n", "ffffff" ], ["end", "ccffcc"]]
>
> If such a tool exists, I can rejoice, because it'd allow me to build
> an awsum Prawn based presentation builder.
>
> -greg

it seems like using Hpricot against one of the current highlighters
would work - just skim out innerHTML/class pairs right?

a @ http://codeforp...
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Gregory Brown

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 12:32 PM, ara.t.howard <ara.t.howard@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2008, at 9:41 AM, Gregory Brown wrote:
>
>> I'll confess I didn't research this deeply, in hopes that someone
>> knows of a library and can point me right at it.
>>
>> Are there any syntax gems out there that'll spit back simple strings
>> and color values,
>> something like:
>>
>> [["def foo\n", "ccffcc"], [" bar()\n", "ffffff" ], ["end", "ccffcc"]]
>>
>> If such a tool exists, I can rejoice, because it'd allow me to build
>> an awsum Prawn based presentation builder.
>>
>> -greg
>

> it seems like using Hpricot against one of the current highlighters would
> work - just skim out innerHTML/class pairs right?

Hmm... that's an interesting idea too. I'll take a quick look at how
easy it is to get under the hood of Code Ray, and if it seems
complicated, such a hack would probably do fine.

-greg