Ruby and OpenSSL: no such file to load -- openssl (RuntimeError

Redd Vinylene

10/18/2008 1:28:00 PM

I'm getting this error on Cygwin when trying to run this tiny little Rails app:

/script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb:253:in
`require_frameworks': no such file to load -- openssl (RuntimeError)

I have both the openssl and openssl-devel packages installed. There's
even an openssl.so in /lib/ruby/1.8/i386-cygwin. I don't know about
libopenssl-ruby though, it only seems to exist for Debian and Ubuntu.

Anybody got a clue? Have a nice weekend y'all.

--
http://www.home.no/re...

6 Answers

Redd Vinylene

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Redd Vinylene <reddvinylene@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm getting this error on Cygwin when trying to run this tiny little Rails app:
>
> ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb:253:in
> `require_frameworks': no such file to load -- openssl (RuntimeError)
>
> I have both the openssl and openssl-devel packages installed. There's
> even an openssl.so in /lib/ruby/1.8/i386-cygwin. I don't know about
> libopenssl-ruby though, it only seems to exist for Debian and Ubuntu.
>
> Anybody got a clue? Have a nice weekend y'all.

I just tried compiling/installing openssl-0.9.8i-1 manually, but that
didn't work either.

--
http://www.home.no/re...

Michael Guterl

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Redd Vinylene <reddvinylene@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Redd Vinylene <reddvinylene@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm getting this error on Cygwin when trying to run this tiny little Rails app:
>>
>> ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb:253:in
>> `require_frameworks': no such file to load -- openssl (RuntimeError)
>>
>> I have both the openssl and openssl-devel packages installed. There's
>> even an openssl.so in /lib/ruby/1.8/i386-cygwin. I don't know about
>> libopenssl-ruby though, it only seems to exist for Debian and Ubuntu.
>>
>> Anybody got a clue? Have a nice weekend y'all.
>
> I just tried compiling/installing openssl-0.9.8i-1 manually, but that
> didn't work either.

I'm no expert in this arena, but you may need to recompile ruby after
installing openssl.

HTH,
Michael Guterl

Redd Vinylene

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 4:25 PM, Michael Guterl <mguterl@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm no expert in this arena, but you may need to recompile ruby after
> installing openssl.

Yeah, good idea, but sorry, it made no difference.

--
http://www.home.no/re...

Marc Heiler

> Yeah, good idea, but sorry, it made no difference.

Did you

(a) compile OpenSSL first and ensured that it worked

(b) then tried to compile the OpenSSL extension within the ext/ dir?

For me on Linux box this route always works.

What is the prefix of both ruby and openssl you use?

Robert Klemme

2008/10/18 Redd Vinylene <reddvinylene@gmail.com>:
> I'm getting this error on Cygwin when trying to run this tiny little Rails app:
>
> ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb:253:in
> `require_frameworks': no such file to load -- openssl (RuntimeError)
>
> I have both the openssl and openssl-devel packages installed. There's
> even an openssl.so in /lib/ruby/1.8/i386-cygwin. I don't know about
> libopenssl-ruby though, it only seems to exist for Debian and Ubuntu.
>
> Anybody got a clue? Have a nice weekend y'all.

Maybe you got your environment messed up. Did you try adding
/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-cygwin to RUBYLIB?

robert

Jakub Pawlowicz

Robert Klemme wrote:

> Maybe you got your environment messed up. Did you try adding
> /lib/ruby/1.8/i386-cygwin to RUBYLIB?
>
> robert

Robert - thanks for the tip.
Setting it up via 'export RUBYLIB=/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-cygwin' did the
trick!

Jakub