comp.lang.javascript

automatically correct the parts of speech of a document

Anupam Jamatia

9/13/2014 7:13:00 AM

Hi friends, Please help me out. Any idea to write a program which will automatically correct the parts of speech of a document.

Example: say in my document I have
My/PRONOUN name/PRONOUN is/VERB Jhon/NOUN. He/PRONOUN is/VERB going/ADJ to/PREPOSITION school/NOUN

Now I need to chenge
My/PRONOUN name/NOUN is/VERB Jhon/NOUN. He/PRONOUN is/VERB going/VERB to/PREPOSITION school/NOUN

Any one can do manually, but How to do using java. The document may contain 100 lines tagged with parts of speech.

Thanks and Regards
15 Answers

Evertjan.

Anupam Jamatia <anupamjamatia@gmail.com> wrote on 13 sep 2014 in
comp.lang.javascript:

> Hi friends, Please help me out. Any idea to write a program which will
> automatically correct the parts of speech of a document.

A document has no speech in this sense,
speech is the vocalized form of human communication.

"A" speech is something different again,
the text of which could be put in a document.

Perhaps you mean "language" or even "grammar"?

> Example: say in my document I have
> My/PRONOUN name/PRONOUN is/VERB Jhon/NOUN. He/PRONOUN is/VERB going/ADJ
> to/PREPOSITION school/NOUN
>
> Now I need to chenge
> My/PRONOUN name/NOUN is/VERB Jhon/NOUN. He/PRONOUN is/VERB going/VERB
> to/PREPOSITION school/NOUN

Is this schoolwork you want us to do for you?

This NG is not about human language.

> Any one can do manually, but How to do using java. The document may
> contain 100 lines tagged with parts of speech.

Ah, a single document, definitely schoolwork.

This NG is about Javascript, NOT about [a script of] Java.

Java is a totally different language from Javascript,
sorry for the confusion made in the last century
when others named Javascript Javascript.

Now please go to a NG that is on topic.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Tim Streater

In article <XnsA3A762481163Deejj99@194.109.133.133>, Evertjan.
<exxjxw.hannivoort@inter.nl.net> wrote:

> Anupam Jamatia <anupamjamatia@gmail.com> wrote on 13 sep 2014 in
> comp.lang.javascript:
>
> > Hi friends, Please help me out. Any idea to write a program which will
> > automatically correct the parts of speech of a document.
>
> A document has no speech in this sense,
> speech is the vocalized form of human communication.
>
> "A" speech is something different again,
> the text of which could be put in a document.
>
> Perhaps you mean "language" or even "grammar"?

<wags finger>

No he doesn't. "Parts of speech" is a perfectly correct English
expression that can refer to words in a documents. Examples are noun,
verb, etc.

--
"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
friend.... if you have one." - GB Shaw to Churchill "Cannot possibly

Ben Bacarisse

Anupam Jamatia <anupamjamatia@gmail.com> writes:

> Example: say in my document I have
> My/PRONOUN name/PRONOUN is/VERB Jhon/NOUN. He/PRONOUN is/VERB
> going/ADJ to/PREPOSITION school/NOUN
>
> Now I need to chenge
> My/PRONOUN name/NOUN is/VERB Jhon/NOUN. He/PRONOUN is/VERB going/VERB
> to/PREPOSITION school/NOUN
>
> Any one can do manually, but How to do using java. The document may
> contain 100 lines tagged with parts of speech.

This is not the right place to get help for this. If you must Java,
post in a Java group, but I would urge you to consider a language
specifically designed for string and text processing. For more
recommendations about that, and for advice on the linguistic parts of
this problem, you could ask in sci.lang.

--
Ben.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Evertjan. wrote:

> Anupam Jamatia [â?¦]:
>> Example: say in my document I have
>> My/PRONOUN name/PRONOUN is/VERB Jhon/NOUN. He/PRONOUN is/VERB going/ADJ
>> to/PREPOSITION school/NOUN
>>
>> Now I need to chenge
>> My/PRONOUN name/NOUN is/VERB Jhon/NOUN. He/PRONOUN is/VERB going/VERB
>> to/PREPOSITION school/NOUN
>
> Is this schoolwork you want us to do for you?

Possibly, and that would be a bad idea. See also
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-question... as referred by the FAQ.

> This NG is not about human language.

In a way it it is. Formal languages are but an extension of the natural
ones; linguistics overlaps with computer science. Formal languages can be
used to process and generate the latter, and I think that use will increase.

>> Any one can do manually, but How to do using java. The document may
>> contain 100 lines tagged with parts of speech.
>
> Ah, a single document, definitely schoolwork.
>
> This NG is about Javascript, NOT about [a script of] Java.

This newsgroup is not about Javascript as there is no such language.
It is not about Java either, though. What it is about can be derived from
the tagline and, partially, the FAQ.

> Java is a totally different language from Javascript,

That is correct: one exists, the other does not.

> sorry for the confusion made in the last century
> when others named Javascript Javascript.

Nobody named a programming language â??Javascriptâ?? in the last century;
Brendan Eich developed a programming language that was eventually named
â??JavaScriptâ? and became the first implementation of ECMAScript.

Misguided people in *this* century named something â??Javascriptâ? as they were
under the misconception that it were necessary, and would be wise, to use
that word as an umbrella term for the implementations of ECMAScript, at
least, that are very different from one another instead.

> Now please go to a NG that is on topic.

A newsgroup cannot be on-topic. A subject can be either on-topic or off-
topic in a newsgroup; probably you meant *that*.

Having such poor command of the English language as yourself, it is not a
good idea to lecture others about it.

--
PointedEars
FAQ: <http://PointedEars.... | SVN: <http://PointedEars.de...

Evertjan.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> wrote on 13 sep 2014 in
comp.lang.javascript:

> A newsgroup cannot be on-topic. A subject can be either on-topic or off-
> topic in a newsgroup; probably you meant *that*.

Nonsense. That must be your personal definition of on-topicness.

> Having such poor command of the English language as yourself, it is not a
> good idea to lecture others about it.

Please look at yourself.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Joao Rodrigues

On 09/13/2014 11:33 AM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

> Nobody named a programming language â??Javascriptâ?? in the last century;
> Brendan Eich developed a programming language that was eventually named
> â??JavaScriptâ? and became the first implementation of ECMAScript.

You're wrong: The first edition of ECMAScript appeared 2 years after the
advent of JavaScript in May, 1995 by Brendan Eich. Then, it is illogical
that JavaScript has become "the first implementation of ECMAScript".

According to the "Brief History", in ECMA-262 3rd (1999):

"ECMA Standard is based on several originating technologies, the most
well known being JavaScript (Netscape) and JScript (Microsoft). The
language was invented by Brendan Eich at Netscape and first appeared in
that companyâ??s Navigator 2.0 browser. It has appeared in all subsequent
browsers from Netscape and in all browsers from Microsoft starting with
Internet Explorer 3.0.
The development of this Standard started in November 1996. The first
edition of this ECMA Standard was adopted by the ECMA General Assembly
of June 1997."

--
Joao Rodrigues

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Evertjan. wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn [â?¦]:
>> A newsgroup cannot be on-topic. A subject can be either on-topic or off-
>> topic in a newsgroup; probably you meant *that*.
>
> Nonsense. That must be your personal definition of on-topicness.

AISB, you prove time and again that you have great difficulty understanding
texts written in English *properly*. At this point further explanations to
you *in English* become futile. Perhaps it would be best to find someone
who can explain your mistake to you in Dutch; perhaps unfortunately, I am
not that person yet.

--

Joao Rodrigues wrote:

> On 09/13/2014 11:33 AM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> Nobody named a programming language â??Javascriptâ?? in the last century;
>> Brendan Eich developed a programming language that was eventually named
>> â??JavaScriptâ? and became the first implementation of ECMAScript.
>
> You're wrong:

I am not.

> The first edition of ECMAScript appeared 2 years after the
> advent of JavaScript in May, 1995 by Brendan Eich.

True, but irrelevant.

> Then, it is illogical that JavaScript has become "the first implementation
> of ECMAScript".

Your logic is flawed. I wrote â??eventuallyâ? on purpose. Netscape JavaScript
1.3 was designed as an implementation of the first Edition of ECMAScript;
subsequent versions and implementations by other vendors were designed as
implementations of that and other Editions of ECMAScript.

<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Guide/JavaScript_Overview#JavaScript_and_the_ECMAScript_Specifi...

(That text has survived from the original Netscape JavaScript 1.x Guide, see
also
<http://web.archive.org/web/19991012135105/http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/js/client/jsguide/intro.htm#1...

--

In article <3287130.HeXyGakYei@PointedEars.de>, Thomas 'PointedEars'
Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> wrote:

> Joao Rodrigues wrote:
>
> > On 09/13/2014 11:33 AM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> >> Nobody named a programming language â??Javascriptâ?? in the last century;
> >> Brendan Eich developed a programming language that was eventually named
> >> â??JavaScriptâ? and became the first implementation of ECMAScript.
> >
> > You're wrong:
>
> I am not.
>
> > The first edition of ECMAScript appeared 2 years after the
> > advent of JavaScript in May, 1995 by Brendan Eich.
>
> True, but irrelevant.

What's irrelevant is your fixation with the capitalisation of
javascript, and your general pedantry. Not only irrelevant but childish
too.

--
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without
evidence."

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Tim Streater wrote:

> [â?¦] Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn [â?¦] wrote:
>> Joao Rodrigues wrote:
>> > The first edition of ECMAScript appeared 2 years after the
>> > advent of JavaScript in May, 1995 by Brendan Eich.
>> True, but irrelevant.
>
> What's irrelevant is your fixation with the capitalisation of
> javascript,

There is no fixation. A false conclusion was drawn by Joao and refuted.

There is no â??javascriptâ? in the first place, so there cannot be a
â??capitalisationâ? of it. As I have showed repeatedly, it is more appropriate
to refer to â??javascriptâ? as the potentially misleading lowercase variant of
â??JavaScriptâ?, indicating that there would be only only one such programming
language when there is not.

> and your general pedantry. Not only irrelevant but childish too.

Nice try.