Rubyscript2exe and "extra" scripts

Glen Holcomb

I have a script that has been "compiled" using rubyscript2exe and that
script executes another script at various times. However the second script
isn't part of the main program as it needs to run independently. I can't
get the second script to run.

This is what I am trying:

ruby_path = RUBYSCRIPT2EXE.appdir.gsub(/app[\/|\\]/, "bin/ruby.exe")
sd_script = "#{ruby_path} #{TEMP_DIR}shutdown.rb " +
Thread.current["today_by_time"]
system "start #{sd_script}"

Instead of running the shutdown script I get an explorer window. I was
hoping to do this without having to turn the shutdown.rb script into a
separate exe as they are kind of large.

-Glen

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

6 Answers

ttw6687@att.net

> We don't play a forcing NT.

Then I would say that partner should have passed 3D. Lacking a specific agreement (like 2/1 game forcing, etc.) the sequence 1S-2D, 3C-3D shows a hand that really does not like Spades or Clubs and is only good for Diamonds (at this point). Partner has shown 5 Spades and 4 Clubs (at least) and nearly game forcing strength; however, your hand is a real misfit. Goren suggested that even the whiff of a misfit is a signal to pass. Misfits do not generally play well in NT either.

Ron Lel

On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 12:03:43 UTC+7, Michelle Steiner wrote:
> In article <2ff04636-535c-49e5-97c3-19b3f5392005@googlegroups.com>,
>
> RonfromLao <ronfromlao@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > 1S 1NT
>
> > 2C 2D
>
> > All pass.
>

> We don't play a forcing NT.

Neither do I, but the opening hand is too good to pass. So you temporise with 2C.

John Hall

In article <100220142203435924%michelle@michelle.org>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> writes:
>In article <2ff04636-535c-49e5-97c3-19b3f5392005@googlegroups.com>,
>RonfromLao <ronfromlao@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 1S 1NT
>> 2C 2D
>> All pass.
>
>We don't play a forcing NT.

There's still a strong case for responding 1NT. Your hand isn't really
strong enough for a 2-level response, especially in view of your void in
partner's suit.

I'm not sure about the suggested 2C rebid, though, as if it's
purportedly natural then it could lead to playing in a 4-3 or even 3-3
club fit. If you are playing 5-card majors, then passing 1NT may be
best.
--
John Hall "He crams with cans of poisoned meat
The subjects of the King,

jonathan23

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:03:43 AM UTC-5, Michelle Steiner wrote:
> In article <2ff04636-535c-49e5-97c3-19b3f5392005@>,
>
> RonfromLao <> wrote:
>
> > 1S 1NT
> > 2C 2D
> > All pass.
>
> We don't play a forcing NT.

You don't have to play it as forcing to bid again. But the forcing 1NT response played properly can be very useful in partscore auctions which are very common, and it isn't difficult to learn and integrate into standard methods if you don't want to go the whole 2/1 game forcing way.

--
- Jon Campbell
Ottawa Canada

adambeneschan

On Monday, February 10, 2014 9:22:22 PM UTC-8, ttw...@att.net wrote:
> > We don't play a forcing NT.
>

> Then I would say that partner should have passed 3D. Lacking a specific agreement (like 2/1 game forcing, etc.) the sequence 1S-2D, 3C-3D shows a hand that really does not like Spades or Clubs and is only good for Diamonds (at this point).

Sorry, I don't think 1S-2D-3C-3D is passable. 3C really should be GF. Because of that, I completely disagree that 3D shows a hand that is "only good for diamonds".

> Partner has shown 5 Spades and 4 Clubs (at least) and nearly game forcing strength; however, your hand is a real misfit. Goren suggested that even the whiff of a misfit is a signal to pass. Misfits do not generally play well in NT either.

But **North** has no reason to believe the hand is a misfit. Since 1S-2D-3C is a strong bid, South could bid 3D with a hand of any strength, including one that intends to drive to slam.

-- Adam

HoneyMonster

John Hall wrote:

> In article <100220142203435924%michelle@michelle.org>,
> Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> writes:
>>In article <2ff04636-535c-49e5-97c3-19b3f5392005@googlegroups.com>,
>>RonfromLao <ronfromlao@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 1S 1NT
>>> 2C 2D
>>> All pass.
>>
>>We don't play a forcing NT.
>
> There's still a strong case for responding 1NT. Your hand isn't really
> strong enough for a 2-level response, especially in view of your void in
> partner's suit.
>
> I'm not sure about the suggested 2C rebid, though, as if it's
> purportedly natural then it could lead to playing in a 4-3 or even 3-3
> club fit. If you are playing 5-card majors, then passing 1NT may be
> best.

That's my view. Our auction would go 1S-1NT-end.