[ANN] spreadsheet 0.6.0 Released

Hannes Wyss

10/13/2008 1:47:00 PM

spreadsheet version 0.6.0 has been released!

* <http://spreadsheet.rubyfor...

The Spreadsheet Library is designed to read and write Spreadsheet
Documents. As of version 0.6.0, only Microsoft Excel compatible
spreadsheets are supported. Spreadsheet is a combination/complete
rewrite of the Spreadsheet::Excel Library by Daniel J. Berger and the
ParseExcel Library by Hannes Wyss. Spreadsheet can read, write and
modify Spreadsheet Documents.

Changes:

### 0.6.0 / 2008-10-13
Initial upload of the shiny new Spreadsheet Gem after three weeks of
grueling labor in the dark binary mines of Little-Endian Biff and long
hours spent polishing the surfaces of documentation:

* Significantly improved memory-efficiency when reading large Excel
Files
* Limited Spreadsheet modification support
* Improved handling of String Encodings
* Runs on top of the ruby-ole Library

Roadmap:

0.7.0: Improved Format support/Styles
0.7.1: Document Modification: Formats/Styles
0.8.0: Formula Support
0.8.1: Document Modification: Formulas
0.9.0: Write-Support: BIFF5
1.0.0: Ruby 1.9 Support;
Remove backward compatibility code

Backward Compatibility:

Spreadsheet is designed to be a drop-in replacement for both
ParseExcel and Spreadsheet::Excel. It provides a number of
require-paths for backward compatibility with its predecessors. If you
have been working with ParseExcel, you have probably used one or more
of the following:

require 'parseexcel'
require 'parseexcel/parseexcel'
require 'parseexcel/parser'

Either of the above will define the ParseExcel.parse method as a
facade to Spreadsheet.open. Additionally, this will alter Spreadsheets
behavior to define the ParseExcel::Worksheet::Cell class and fill each
parsed Row with instances thereof, which in turn provide ParseExcel's
Cell#to_s(encoding) and Cell#date methods.
You will have to manually uninstall the parseexcel library.

If you are upgrading from Spreadsheet::Excel, you were probably using
Workbook#add_worksheet and Worksheet#write, write_row or write_column.
Use the following to load the code which provides them:

require 'spreadsheet/excel'

Again, you will have to manually uninstall the spreadsheet-excel library.

If you perform fancy formatting, you may run into trouble as the
Format implementation has changed considerably. If that is the case,
please drop me a line at hannes.wyss@gmail.com and I will try to help
you. Don't forget to include the offending code-snippet!

Enjoy!

Cheers
Hannes

5 Answers

James Herdman

ParseExcel mentioned somewhere that it doesn't support formulae. Does
Spreadsheet?

James

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Hannes Wyss <hannes.wyss@gmail.com> wrote:

> spreadsheet version 0.6.0 has been released!
>
> * <http://spreadsheet.rubyfor...
>
> The Spreadsheet Library is designed to read and write Spreadsheet
> Documents. As of version 0.6.0, only Microsoft Excel compatible
> spreadsheets are supported. Spreadsheet is a combination/complete
> rewrite of the Spreadsheet::Excel Library by Daniel J. Berger and the
> ParseExcel Library by Hannes Wyss. Spreadsheet can read, write and
> modify Spreadsheet Documents.
>

> Changes:
>
> ### 0.6.0 / 2008-10-13
> Initial upload of the shiny new Spreadsheet Gem after three weeks of
> grueling labor in the dark binary mines of Little-Endian Biff and long
> hours spent polishing the surfaces of documentation:
>
> * Significantly improved memory-efficiency when reading large Excel
> Files
> * Limited Spreadsheet modification support
> * Improved handling of String Encodings
> * Runs on top of the ruby-ole Library
>

> Roadmap:
>
> 0.7.0: Improved Format support/Styles
> 0.7.1: Document Modification: Formats/Styles
> 0.8.0: Formula Support
> 0.8.1: Document Modification: Formulas
> 0.9.0: Write-Support: BIFF5
> 1.0.0: Ruby 1.9 Support;
> Remove backward compatibility code
>

> Backward Compatibility:
>
> Spreadsheet is designed to be a drop-in replacement for both
> ParseExcel and Spreadsheet::Excel. It provides a number of
> require-paths for backward compatibility with its predecessors. If you
> have been working with ParseExcel, you have probably used one or more
> of the following:
>
> require 'parseexcel'
> require 'parseexcel/parseexcel'
> require 'parseexcel/parser'
>
> Either of the above will define the ParseExcel.parse method as a
> facade to Spreadsheet.open. Additionally, this will alter Spreadsheets
> behavior to define the ParseExcel::Worksheet::Cell class and fill each
> parsed Row with instances thereof, which in turn provide ParseExcel's
> Cell#to_s(encoding) and Cell#date methods.
> You will have to manually uninstall the parseexcel library.
>
> If you are upgrading from Spreadsheet::Excel, you were probably using
> Workbook#add_worksheet and Worksheet#write, write_row or write_column.
> Use the following to load the code which provides them:
>
> require 'spreadsheet/excel'
>
> Again, you will have to manually uninstall the spreadsheet-excel library.
>
> If you perform fancy formatting, you may run into trouble as the
> Format implementation has changed considerably. If that is the case,
> please drop me a line at hannes.wyss@gmail.com and I will try to help
> you. Don't forget to include the offending code-snippet!
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Cheers
> Hannes

Mark Thomas

On Oct 17, 1:00 pm, James Herdman <james.herd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [Note:  parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
>
> ParseExcel mentioned somewhere that it doesn't support formulae.  Does
> Spreadsheet?

From the above post:

Roadmap:

0.7.0: Improved Format support/Styles
0.7.1: Document Modification: Formats/Styles
0.8.0: Formula Support
0.8.1: Document Modification: Formulas
0.9.0: Write-Support: BIFF5
1.0.0: Ruby 1.9 Support;
Remove backward compatibility code

James Herdman

Hah. Sorry about that. It seems I need to get a stronger cup of coffee.

James

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Mark Thomas <mark@thomaszone.com> wrote:

> On Oct 17, 1:00 pm, James Herdman <james.herd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
> >
> > ParseExcel mentioned somewhere that it doesn't support formulae. Does
> > Spreadsheet?
>
> From the above post:
>
> Roadmap:
>
> 0.7.0: Improved Format support/Styles
> 0.7.1: Document Modification: Formats/Styles
> 0.8.0: Formula Support
> 0.8.1: Document Modification: Formulas
> 0.9.0: Write-Support: BIFF5
> 1.0.0: Ruby 1.9 Support;
> Remove backward compatibility code

Emma

Hi, when I do this:

book = Spreadsheet::Workbook.new
sheet = book.create_worksheet
sheet.row(0).replace [1, 2, 3.4]
book.write "excel.xls"

And open the generated file, Excel show the error: "data could be
lost", and when it open the sheet it contains a wrong number in cell
C1... I'm doing something wrong?

(Tested on spreadsheet-0.6.1.9)

Thanks in advance.

Hannes Wyss

Emma,

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 12:59 AM, Emma <emma.sender@gmail.com> wrote:
> And open the generated file, Excel show the error: "data could be
> lost", and when it open the sheet it contains a wrong number in cell
> C1... I'm doing something wrong?

alas, this is a known issue:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=22892&group_id=678&...

I'm still working on it, and will get back to you as soon as I've fixed it.

cheers
Hannes