comp.lang.javascript

Window and form support in ecma/javascript?

JT

7/15/2014 1:32:00 PM

I want to change my HTML code running in window and forms into native ecma/javascript to be able to make compiled applications similar to VB, rather then run scripts in HTML windows.

Is it possible?
Could someone post a link to the "window and form functions needed", and the plattform "compiler, editor amd debugger needed to make standalone applications -> running in windows environment.

If there is something similar to VB environment it would be prefered.
21 Answers

JT

Den tisdagen den 15:e juli 2014 kl. 15:31:37 UTC+2 skrev jonas.t...@gmail.com:
> I want to change my HTML code running in window and forms into native ecma/javascript to be able to make compiled applications similar to VB, rather then run scripts in HTML windows.
>

> Is it possible?
>
> Could someone post a link to the "window and form functions needed", and the plattform "compiler, editor amd debugger needed to make standalone applications -> running in windows environment.
>

> If there is something similar to VB environment it would be prefered.

I suspect that this code is only when dealing with browsers?
window.open("http://www.w3schools...);

And not used when creating standalone applications?

Similar the examples i see for form seem to assume the use of a browser, honestly i am not clear between the distinction line between the HTML and the Javascript.

But as i said i want to make standalone compiled Javascript into applications running in window with form elements, is it even possible?

I really have no wish to change programming language i find the string functions and the open data types nice.

Evertjan.

jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote on 15 jul 2014 in comp.lang.javascript:

> I want to change my HTML code running in window and forms into native
> ecma/javascript to be able to make compiled applications similar to VB,
> rather then run scripts in HTML windows.
>
> Is it possible?

Javascript engines as such need an external environment, like the DOM,
to interface with the user in a GUI, [a graphical user interface].

You can use javascript in MS-Wscript to execute your code in a CLI,
[a command line interface], using writeln, alert, prompt, standardIn and
standardOut.

Probably there are other environments accommodating Javscript,
I don't think they will be as general as you want.

> in HTML windows.

Never heard of those.

You mean in browser windows?

> forms into native

Interactive forms are part og HTML, methinks.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

JT

Den tisdagen den 15:e juli 2014 kl. 15:31:37 UTC+2 skrev jonas.t...@gmail.com:
> I want to change my HTML code running in window and forms into native ecma/javascript to be able to make compiled applications similar to VB, rather then run scripts in HTML windows.
>

> Is it possible?
>
> Could someone post a link to the "window and form functions needed", and the plattform "compiler, editor amd debugger needed to make standalone applications -> running in windows environment.
>

> If there is something similar to VB environment it would be prefered.

I find it a bit strange that the interconnectivity between javascript and the HTML event handling is so finetuned and developed but still there is no compilation tool that can generate code using the interchangable formats.

It would be nice to be able to create an application from javascript, just the way it is possible to create one from VB. And since the event handling is already incorporated in the HTML "browser structure?" it would turn out to be much easier develop small apps. I do understand there is lack of functions that reach the filesystem and the hardware and is mainly for graphic and stringmanipulation, but in a standalone environment intended for app development those restrictions maybe could be removed.

I find it weird that you can generate thing like this in Javascript but is unable to compile standalone code for it? What is the reason?

http://www.treegrid.com/treegrid/www/?gclid=CKe_3ozOx78CFYKQ...

Evertjan.

jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote on 15 jul 2014 in comp.lang.javascript:

> I find it a bit strange that the interconnectivity between javascript
> and the HTML event handling is so finetuned and developed but still
> there is no compilation tool that can generate code using the
> interchangable formats.

You are still speaking about a browser.
Native JS and VBS engines do not exist,
they need an external interface environment.

> It would be nice to be able to create an application from javascript,
> just the way it is possible to create one from VB. And since the event
> handling is already incorporated in the HTML "browser structure?"

Please do not confuse VB, which has it own dedicated execution engine,
with VBS, which, like JS too, needs an interface environment.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

JT

Den tisdagen den 15:e juli 2014 kl. 17:14:05 UTC+2 skrev Evertjan.:
> jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote on 15 jul 2014 in comp.lang.javascript:
>

> > I want to change my HTML code running in window and forms into native
>
> > ecma/javascript to be able to make compiled applications similar to VB,
>
> > rather then run scripts in HTML windows.
>

> > Is it possible?
>

> Javascript engines as such need an external environment, like the DOM,
>
> to interface with the user in a GUI, [a graphical user interface].
>

> You can use javascript in MS-Wscript to execute your code in a CLI,
>
> [a command line interface], using writeln, alert, prompt, standardIn and
>
> standardOut.
>

> Probably there are other environments accommodating Javscript,
>
> I don't think they will be as general as you want.
>

> > in HTML windows.
>

> Never heard of those.
>

> You mean in browser windows?
>

> > forms into native
>

> Interactive forms are part og HTML, methinks.
>

> --
>
> Evertjan.
>
> The Netherlands.

I am quite sure that the day someone create a crosscompiling tool for DHTML and Javascript it will be a widely used tool to develop standalone applications due to its accesbility and ease of use.

You basicly do not have to think about window and event handling more then on click and on mouseover.

This is basicly all there is to it?
http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/dom_obj...

JT

Den tisdagen den 15:e juli 2014 kl. 17:25:07 UTC+2 skrev Evertjan.:
> jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote on 15 jul 2014 in comp.lang.javascript:
>

> > I find it a bit strange that the interconnectivity between javascript
>
> > and the HTML event handling is so finetuned and developed but still
>
> > there is no compilation tool that can generate code using the
>
> > interchangable formats.
>

> You are still speaking about a browser.
>
> Native JS and VBS engines do not exist,
>
> they need an external interface environment.
>

> > It would be nice to be able to create an application from javascript,
>
> > just the way it is possible to create one from VB. And since the event
>
> > handling is already incorporated in the HTML "browser structure?"
>

> Please do not confuse VB, which has it own dedicated execution engine,
>
> with VBS, which, like JS too, needs an interface environment.
>

> --
>
> Evertjan.
>
> The Netherlands.

I have written a little VB code and it had interface and could be compiled into executable applications. So why could not a DHTML/Javascript crosscompiler generate a similar crossproduct, basicly compile a rudimentary browser that interface the Javascript code that run within it?

Evertjan.

jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote on 15 jul 2014 in comp.lang.javascript:

> I am quite sure that the day someone create a crosscompiling tool for
> DHTML and Javascript it will be a widely used tool to develop standalone
> applications due to its accesbility and ease of use.

Do you realy know what a cross-compiler is,
other than being a compiler with a bad temper?

A cross-compiler is a compiler capable of creating executable code for a
platform other than the one on which the compiler is running.

It is quite possible that electronic inteligent beings will debate some time
in a form of Javascript, shall we talk about the here and now?

Javascript, being a scripting language, needs an interpreter engine,
not a compiling engine. [The difference becoming slightly blurred nowadays
by intermediate code use, like the P-code.]

> You basicly do not have to think about window and event handling more
> then on click and on mouseover.

Javascript has no native user-interface,
so basically and absolutely no native event-handlers,
not even onClick and onMouseover.

You are talking about a browser environment.

And please do not decide where I don't have to think about,
better concentrate on your own mind.

> This is basicly all there is to it?
> http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/dom_obj...

Do you see "DOM" in there, aren't they talking about browsers?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

I wrote:
>> Please do not confuse VB, which has it own dedicated execution engine,
>> with VBS, which, like JS too, needs an interface environment.
>
> I have written a little VB code and it had interface and could be
> compiled into executable applications. So why could not a
> DHTML/Javascript crosscompiler generate a similar crossproduct, basicly
> compile a rudimentary browser that interface the Javascript code that
> run within it?

Please reread my answers,
VB has it's own interface environment, vbs and js have not,
so you need an external environment.

Wether you use a browser or make one does not change the fact that you need
an external environment.

Please look up what cross-compiler meeans.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Hans-Georg Michna

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 17:14:05 +0200, Evertjan. wrote:

>jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote on 15 jul 2014 in comp.lang.javascript:

>> I want to change my HTML code running in window and forms into native
>> ecma/javascript to be able to make compiled applications similar to VB,
>> rather then run scripts in HTML windows.
>>
>> Is it possible?

>Javascript engines as such need an external environment, like the DOM,
>to interface with the user in a GUI, [a graphical user interface].
>
>You can use javascript in MS-Wscript to execute your code in a CLI,
>[a command line interface], using writeln, alert, prompt, standardIn and
>standardOut.

If I remember correctly, you can even call up a browser from a
JScript file running on WScript to provide a more elaborate user
interface, like a data entry form.

I used to write small tools in JS that run in Windows.

Hans-Georg

JT

Den tisdagen den 15:e juli 2014 kl. 17:52:01 UTC+2 skrev Evertjan.:
> jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote on 15 jul 2014 in comp.lang.javascript:
>

> I wrote:
>
> >> Please do not confuse VB, which has it own dedicated execution engine,
>
> >> with VBS, which, like JS too, needs an interface environment.
>

> > I have written a little VB code and it had interface and could be
>
> > compiled into executable applications. So why could not a
>
> > DHTML/Javascript crosscompiler generate a similar crossproduct, basicly
>
> > compile a rudimentary browser that interface the Javascript code that
>
> > run within it?
>

> Please reread my answers,
>
> VB has it's own interface environment, vbs and js have not,
>
> so you need an external environment.
>

> Wether you use a browser or make one does not change the fact that you need
>
> an external environment.
>

> Please look up what cross-compiler meeans.
>

> --
>
> Evertjan.
>
> The Netherlands.

I know a crosscompiler is a compiler for different proocessor architectures, but i speak about a program that cross compiles script using different standards "DHTML and ECMAscript".

Well i simply lacked a name for it since there isn't any, and call it a crosscompiler was not that farfetched.

And i understand you say that both HTML, DHTML, CSS, Javascript is scripted code languages that run and is interpretated by a browser.

And just as you say the browser is the precompiled interface that the interpretators run within.

But what i say is that a rudimentary browser interface is basicly a window, URL and eventhandler that run modules that interpretate DHTML and Javascript.

The browser source and it modules probably programmed in C++, and one could replace the HTML interpretator module and Javascript interpretator invoking compiled HTML and Javascript code?

And i realise it probably isn't that easy as i make it sound.