comp.lang.javascript

Taijilang is released: A new language which is compiled to javascript similar to coffee-script

Simeon Chaos

7/14/2014 2:50:00 PM

Taijilang is A new language which is compiled to javascript.

Taijilang runs on node.js

Taijilang is similar to coffee-script in many aspect, e.g. runs on node.js, indent grammar, statement is treated as expression, ->, =>, @, ::, etc. But taijilang has its own features, e.g. lisp style macro, meta language, dynamic syntax etc.

Project Address:
github: https://www.github.com/taijiweb...

npm: https://www.npmjs.org/pac...

google groups: taijilang https://groups.google.c...!forum/taijilang

G+: taiji lang https://plus.google.com/u/0/114446069949044102399/p...
7 Answers

scattered

On Monday, July 14, 2014 10:50:23 AM UTC-4, Simeon Chaos wrote:
> Taijilang is A new language which is compiled to javascript.
>
> Taijilang runs on node.js
>
> Taijilang is similar to coffee-script in many aspect, e.g. runs on node.js, indent grammar, statement is treated as expression, ->, =>, @, ::, etc. But taijilang has its own features, e.g. lisp style macro, meta language, dynamic syntax etc.
>
> Project Address:
>
> github: https://www.github.com/taijiweb...
>

> npm: https://www.npmjs.org/pac...
>
> google groups: taijilang https://groups.google.c...!forum/taijilang
>
> G+: taiji lang https://plus.google.com/u/0/114446069949044102399/p...

Sounds interesting, and I am impressed by anyone who can create a programming language, but I am very skeptical that the following is a good idea:

"white space can change the precedence of operator" (from the github description)

Sounds like a nightmare to debug. What's wrong with parenthesis?

Michael Haufe (\"TNO\")

On Monday, July 14, 2014 9:50:23 AM UTC-5, Simeon Chaos wrote:
> Taijilang is A new language which is compiled to javascript.

Off topic for this group, but I think you know that already...

Michael Haufe (\"TNO\")

On Monday, July 14, 2014 10:38:33 AM UTC-5, John C wrote:

> Sounds interesting, and I am impressed by anyone who can create a programming language, but I am very skeptical that the following is a good idea:
>
> "white space can change the precedence of operator" (from the github description)
>
> Sounds like a nightmare to debug. What's wrong with parenthesis?

CoffeeScript is known to have a confused grammar[1][2] (among other things [3]), I have a suspicion that Taijilang does as well. I for one would like to see at least a minimal attempt at some formalism if/when the author gets around to it.

[1] http://johnbender.us/2012/11/27/math-envy-and-coffeescript...
[2] http://johnbender.us/2013/01/09/math-envy-and-coffeescripts-...
[3] http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4885#com...

scattered

On Monday, July 14, 2014 1:40:17 PM UTC-4, Michael Haufe (TNO) wrote:
> On Monday, July 14, 2014 9:50:23 AM UTC-5, Simeon Chaos wrote:
>
> > Taijilang is A new language which is compiled to javascript.
>
> Off topic for this group, but I think you know that already...

Out of curiosity, why do you consider this off-topic? I would
think that a tool for generating javascript is topical for
comp.lang.javascript. A detailed discussion of the new language
would be off topic, but simply alerting javascript programmers
about a potentially useful tool seems reasonable.

Christoph M. Becker

John C wrote:

> On Monday, July 14, 2014 1:40:17 PM UTC-4, Michael Haufe (TNO) wrote:
>> On Monday, July 14, 2014 9:50:23 AM UTC-5, Simeon Chaos wrote:
>>
>>> Taijilang is A new language which is compiled to javascript.
>>
>> Off topic for this group, but I think you know that already...
>
> Out of curiosity, why do you consider this off-topic? I would
> think that a tool for generating javascript is topical for
> comp.lang.javascript. A detailed discussion of the new language
> would be off topic, but simply alerting javascript programmers
> about a potentially useful tool seems reasonable.

Counterquestion: would some language implementation that compiles to C
be on topic for comp.lang.c?

--
Christoph M. Becker

Mel Smith

"Christoph Michael Becker" <cmbecker69@arcor.de> wrote in message

> Counterquestion: would some language implementation that compiles to C
> be on topic for comp.lang.c?

Apparently not !

I visited comp.lang.c a year or so ago, and mentioned (maybe promoted a
bit) my language (the Harbour language) on about two posts as a very
suitable way to build server CGI apps. I emphasized that Harbour compiles
into C functions and the developer is allowed to use inline C code in his
programs.

My posts were *not welcomed*. Some responses were a bit nasty.

So, I never returned.

btw, one of my sites serves as a download repository and link for a
couple of modern C compilers.

Anyway ...

-Mel

scattered

On Monday, July 14, 2014 5:28:05 PM UTC-4, Christoph Michael Becker wrote:
> John C wrote:

> >> Off topic for this group, but I think you know that already...
> >
> > Out of curiosity, why do you consider this off-topic? I would
> > think that a tool for generating javascript is topical for
> > comp.lang.javascript. A detailed discussion of the new language
> > would be off topic, but simply alerting javascript programmers
>
> > about a potentially useful tool seems reasonable.
>

> Counterquestion: would some language implementation that compiles to C
>
> be on topic for comp.lang.c?
>
> --
>
> Christoph M. Becker

Good question. I would say that it depends. If C were simply the target of
the compiler but the language itself had nothing to do with C, then no -- it
probably wouldn't be on topic (though various technical questions related to
the C end of the process would be on topic). On the other hand, if the language
was constructed explicitly to interact with C (e.g. being able to write functions which can be easily called from C programs)then I would say that,
yes, it could be on topic (especially just a simple announcement of the
creation of a new tool which might be of interest to people reading the
newsgroup). In the case of this "Taijilang", the github site explicitly
mentions the ability to work with Node.js, so I took it that it was intended
to be part of the broader JavaScript ecosystem rather then an outright
replacement.

I think that one of the more interesting trends in the last 15 years or so is
the rise of polygot programming (e.g. dot net or the various languages like Clojure that target the Java Virtual Machine). In the last few years it seems
that there is a move towards doing something similar in the JavaScript world.
It is clearly part of being a well-rounded Java programmer to at least be aware
of things such as Clojure. Similarly, a JavaScript programmer should at least be aware of things like CoffeeScript.