[ANN] ruby-ole-1.2.8 released!

Charles L.

10/8/2008 7:56:00 AM

The new version of ruby-ole has been released!

ruby-ole is a library for read/write access to OLE2 structured storage
files, such as those produced by Microsoft Office, eg *.doc, *.msg etc.
It provides a simple filesystem style api.

Details at http://ruby-ole.goog..., or go straight to
http://ruby-ole.rubyfor... for the RDoc.

Changes:

- Fixes multiple MBAT read/write support (for large OLE files).
- Better documentation.
- Easy access to meta data and simple mime type classification.
- Exposing the above through oletool
- More tests - now have 100% coverage.
- Cross platform bug fixes

James Herdman

Very interesting. This is probably a ridiculous question, but is there a
Windows dependency for this library? I'm itching for a library to write
Excel files without having to resort to Windows. If I must use Windows and
some OLE bridge, I'd be very excited if I could use copy-and-paste whilst
generating Excel worksheets.

James H.

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 3:56 AM, Charles L. <aquasync@gmail.com> wrote:

> The new version of ruby-ole has been released!
>
> ruby-ole is a library for read/write access to OLE2 structured storage
> files, such as those produced by Microsoft Office, eg *.doc, *.msg etc.
> It provides a simple filesystem style api.
>
> Details at http://ruby-ole.goog..., or go straight to
> http://ruby-ole.rubyfor... for the RDoc.
>
> Changes:
>
> - Fixes multiple MBAT read/write support (for large OLE files).
> - Better documentation.
> - Easy access to meta data and simple mime type classification.
> - Exposing the above through oletool
> - More tests - now have 100% coverage.
> - Cross platform bug fixes

Charles L.

James Herdman wrote:
> Very interesting. This is probably a ridiculous question, but is there
> Windows dependency for this library? I'm itching for a library to write
> Excel files without having to resort to Windows. If I must use Windows
> and
> some OLE bridge, I'd be very excited if I could use copy-and-paste
> whilst
> generating Excel worksheets.
>
> James H.

Hi James,

No there's no windows dependency. If you're looking for a library to
write excel files though, "gem install spreadsheet-excel" - I've used it
a bit and it works fairly well.

I've also written my own fairly limited excel writer (because i needed
biff8) which I'll release when I clean it up.

Aside from this though, you shouldn't need to use copy & paste just to
generate a spreadsheet using excel directly?

- Charles

James Herdman

> Aside from this though, you shouldn't need to use copy & paste just to
> generate a spreadsheet using excel directly?

One wouldn't think so, but that seems to be the way the Windows Win32OLE
library works. It's quite shocking.

I'll take a peak at your lib. Thanks!

James