Re: Difference between Foo = Class.new and class Foo

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: Difference between Foo = Class.new and class Foo"
on Wed, 8 Oct 2008 00:32:41 +0900, Brandon Dimcheff <bdimchef@wieldim.com> writes:

|I don't think I'm doing conceptually different things below. I'm
|looking at creating and defining classes, not creating objects from
|those classes. I'm attempting to create a class called Foo in both
|cases. The first time, I use the class keyword. The second time, I
|call Class.new. It seems that using the class keyword doesn't call
|Class's metaclass's "new" method, while Class.new (obviously) does.

Now I know what you meant. Literals and expressions do not go through
"new" method as a general rule.

matz.

6 Answers

John Manning

On 9/1/2012 5:31 PM, Dakota wrote:
> On 9/1/2012 2:52 PM, John Manning wrote:
>>

>> WATCH:
>> http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/418458/august-29-2012/ayn-rand--...
>>

> Ryan's been running scared of his love of Rand's lately. Is it possible
> her atheism is not a big seller in today's GOP?

Indeed. The right wing Big Money propaganda operation fear-mongers
and fires up the Christian Right fringe as a necessary component
of its gullible base of support.

Lydig Avenue Kibbitzer

In article <tpt448hcs2pjr7p72n13an9fkfd6g60thb@4ax.com>, Free Lunch says...

>On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 15:31:50 -0500, Dakota <markp@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote
>in alt.atheism:
>
>>On 9/1/2012 2:52 PM, John Manning wrote:
>>>

>>> WATCH:
>>>http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/418458/august-29-2012/ayn-rand--...
>>>
>>Ryan's been running scared of his love of Rand's lately. Is it
>>possible her atheism is not a big seller in today's GOP?
>
>And her strong support for women's rights, particularly abortion rights.
>Her disdain for religious organizations was clear in the books, so Paul
>Ryan is BSing us here.

I wouldn't trust *anything* Paul Ryan says.

He is obviously as pathological a liar as Romney.

It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out
that he never read any Ayn Rand and just
name-dropped her because read some right-wing
think tank piece referencing her.

He lies to impress. And when he gets caught,
he tries to charm his way out of it.

He wants us to trust him with numbers?
Don't make me laugh...this just in...

* * * * *

Paul Ryan: Marathon Time Claim Not True
http://tinyurl.c...

"Paul Ryan's campaign walked back comments
the VP nominee made about running a marathon.

"I had a two hour and fifty-something" marathon,
Ryan said last week an interview. "I hurt a disc
in my back, so I don?t run marathons anymore."

But the Ryan campaign confirmed to Runner's World
that he has only run one marathon, the
1990 Grandma?s Marathon in Duluth, Minnesota,
which he finished in just over 4 hours.

"The race was more than 20 years ago, but my brother
Tobin -- who ran Boston last year -- reminds me that
he is the owner of the fastest marathon in the family
and has never himself ran a sub-three," Ryan said in
a prepared statement. "If I were to do any rounding,
it would certainly be to four hours, not three.
He gave me a good ribbing over this at dinner tonight.

The admission comes after wide speculation that Ryan
had exaggerated his marathon time. Running a sub-3
hour marathon means averaging under 7 minutes per mile
for the entire race, a possible but extremely
impressive feat. As the New Yorker's Nicholas Thompson
put it, "It?s the difference between racing and running."

* * * * *

So, he's not even a *good* liar -- staying within
the bounds of plausibility is Rule 1.

Proving once again, of course,
that Republicans are simply too stupid to rule.

Dakota

On 9/1/2012 5:39 PM, Lydig Avenue Kibbitzer wrote:
> In article <tpt448hcs2pjr7p72n13an9fkfd6g60thb@4ax.com>, Free Lunch says...
>>
>> On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 15:31:50 -0500, Dakota <markp@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote
>> in alt.atheism:

>>> Ryan's been running scared of his love of Rand's lately. Is it
>>> possible her atheism is not a big seller in today's GOP?
>>
>> And her strong support for women's rights, particularly abortion rights.
>> Her disdain for religious organizations was clear in the books, so Paul
>> Ryan is BSing us here.

Like most theists, Ryan sees what he wants when he reads a book. His
brain never saw Rand's women's rights or atheistic advocacy.

> I wouldn't trust *anything* Paul Ryan says.
>
> He is obviously as pathological a liar as Romney.
>
> It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out
> that he never read any Ayn Rand and just
> name-dropped her because read some right-wing
> think tank piece referencing her.
>
> He lies to impress. And when he gets caught,
> he tries to charm his way out of it.
>
> He wants us to trust him with numbers?
> Don't make me laugh...this just in...
>
> * * * * *
>
> Paul Ryan: Marathon Time Claim Not True
> http://tinyurl.c...
>
> "Paul Ryan's campaign walked back comments
> the VP nominee made about running a marathon.
>
> "I had a two hour and fifty-something" marathon,
> Ryan said last week an interview. "I hurt a disc
> in my back, so I don?t run marathons anymore."
>
> But the Ryan campaign confirmed to Runner's World
> that he has only run one marathon, the
> 1990 Grandma?s Marathon in Duluth, Minnesota,
> which he finished in just over 4 hours.
>
> "The race was more than 20 years ago, but my brother
> Tobin -- who ran Boston last year -- reminds me that
> he is the owner of the fastest marathon in the family
> and has never himself ran a sub-three," Ryan said in
> a prepared statement. "If I were to do any rounding,
> it would certainly be to four hours, not three.
> He gave me a good ribbing over this at dinner tonight.
>
> The admission comes after wide speculation that Ryan
> had exaggerated his marathon time. Running a sub-3
> hour marathon means averaging under 7 minutes per mile
> for the entire race, a possible but extremely
> impressive feat. As the New Yorker's Nicholas Thompson
> put it, "It?s the difference between racing and running."
>
> * * * * *
>
> So, he's not even a *good* liar -- staying within
> the bounds of plausibility is Rule 1.
>
> Proving once again, of course,
> that Republicans are simply too stupid to rule.

Free Lunch

On 1 Sep 2012 15:39:38 -0700, Lydig Avenue Kibbitzer
<Lydig_member@newsguy.com> wrote in alt.atheism:

>In article <tpt448hcs2pjr7p72n13an9fkfd6g60thb@4ax.com>, Free Lunch says...
>>
>>On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 15:31:50 -0500, Dakota <markp@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote
>>in alt.atheism:

>>>Ryan's been running scared of his love of Rand's lately. Is it
>>>possible her atheism is not a big seller in today's GOP?
>>
>>And her strong support for women's rights, particularly abortion rights.
>>Her disdain for religious organizations was clear in the books, so Paul
>>Ryan is BSing us here.
>

>I wouldn't trust *anything* Paul Ryan says.
>
>He is obviously as pathological a liar as Romney.
>
>It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out
>that he never read any Ayn Rand and just
>name-dropped her because read some right-wing
>think tank piece referencing her.
>
>He lies to impress. And when he gets caught,
>he tries to charm his way out of it.
>
>He wants us to trust him with numbers?
>Don't make me laugh...this just in...
>
>* * * * *
>
>Paul Ryan: Marathon Time Claim Not True
>http://tinyurl.c...
>
>"Paul Ryan's campaign walked back comments
>the VP nominee made about running a marathon.
>
>"I had a two hour and fifty-something" marathon,
>Ryan said last week an interview. "I hurt a disc
>in my back, so I don? run marathons anymore."
>
>But the Ryan campaign confirmed to Runner's World
>that he has only run one marathon, the
>1990 Grandma? Marathon in Duluth, Minnesota,
>which he finished in just over 4 hours.
>
>"The race was more than 20 years ago, but my brother
>Tobin -- who ran Boston last year -- reminds me that
>he is the owner of the fastest marathon in the family
>and has never himself ran a sub-three," Ryan said in
>a prepared statement. "If I were to do any rounding,
>it would certainly be to four hours, not three.
>He gave me a good ribbing over this at dinner tonight.
>
>The admission comes after wide speculation that Ryan
>had exaggerated his marathon time. Running a sub-3
>hour marathon means averaging under 7 minutes per mile
>for the entire race, a possible but extremely
>impressive feat. As the New Yorker's Nicholas Thompson
>put it, "It? the difference between racing and running."
>
>* * * * *
>
>So, he's not even a *good* liar -- staying within
>the bounds of plausibility is Rule 1.
>
>Proving once again, of course,
>that Republicans are simply too stupid to rule.

And it's not even certain that he was the Paul Ryan who ran in Grandma's
Marathon (Grandma's is a good bar and grill in Duluth). According to
Runners World, the Paul Ryan that ran apparently registered from
Minneapolis. Paul Ryan grew up in Janesville, WI and was going to Miami
University (the one in Ohio, not the one that has only a U as a logo) at
the time.

In article <k1trbj$b63$1@dont-email.me>, Dakota <markp@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/1/2012 2:52 PM, John Manning wrote:
> >

> > WATCH:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/418458/august-29-2012/ayn-rand--...

> Ryan's been running scared of his love of Rand's lately. Is it
> possible her atheism is not a big seller in today's GOP?

*** quite easily D.

<lunch@nofreelunch.us> wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 15:31:50 -0500, Dakota <markp@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote
> in alt.atheism:
>
> >On 9/1/2012 2:52 PM, John Manning wrote:
> >>

> >> WATCH:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/418458/august-29-2012/ayn-rand--...

> >Ryan's been running scared of his love of Rand's lately. Is it
> >possible her atheism is not a big seller in today's GOP?
>
> And her strong support for women's rights, particularly abortion rights.
> Her disdain for religious organizations was clear in the books,

*** Good points.