Rubot looks sketchy

Trans

9/28/2008 2:27:00 AM

Anyone know about this project?

http://rubyforge.org/proje...

I found if odd that this v0.0.1 lib would be #3 all time top download
at Rubyforge. Looking at what it's does got me thinking it's probably
not being used for "Good". It's a MediaWiki scrapping bot, and it has
over 784,721 downloads.

I for one am tired of getting b.s. regurgitated search results and
this looks like a facilitator.

What do others think?

T.

2 Answers

konstantin.mailinglists

Hi, I'm the rubot developer. I wrote rubot mainly for myself and am
using it for this bot: http://ardapedia.herr-der-ringe-film.de/index.php/Benutz....
Actually, the version available from Rubyforge is somewhat outdated
and indeed sketchy. I have no clue where all does downloads came from
and I have not heard from anybody using this library besides myself.

Konstantin

On 28 Sep., 03:26, Trans <transf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone know about this project?
>
>  http://rubyforge.org/proje...
>
> I found if odd that this v0.0.1 lib would be #3 all time top download
> at Rubyforge. Looking at what it's does got me thinking it's probably
> not being used for "Good". It's a MediaWiki scrapping bot, and it has
> over 784,721 downloads.
>
> I for one am tired of getting b.s. regurgitated search results and
> this looks like a facilitator.
>
> What do others think?
>
> T.

Daniel Berger

On Oct 30, 4:24=A0am, RKH <konstantin.mailingli...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> Hi, I'm the rubot developer. I wrote rubot mainly for myself and am
> using it for this bot:http://ardapedia.herr-der-ringe-film.de/in...
enutzer:Bot_Tom.
> Actually, the version available from Rubyforge is somewhat outdated
> and indeed sketchy. I have no clue where all does downloads came from
> and I have not heard from anybody using this library besides myself.

Indeed, I notified Tom about this shortly after it happened. There was
a one week period where this library was getting 100k downloads a day,
so probably a bot. I don't know if Tom chose to investigate that
incident more deeply, but I think it's back to about 1 download per
day.

Regards,

Dan