Re: Trying to use gsub using variables

maestroiut-rubytalk

9/27/2008 12:56:00 PM

----- Original Message ----

you meant, didn't you?

x = "time"
y = 'TEST'

> acl.gsub(/x/,y)

> How do I get gsub to use the value of x rather "x" itself in my match?

You can use the #{ruby code} notation that evaluates the ruby code and inserts
the value like in double quoted strings.
In your case that would be something like:

acl.gsub(/#{x}/,y)

Though the content of x should not be interpreted, you should write:

acl.gsub(/#{Regexp.escape(x)}/,y)

> thanks

you are most welcome,

Christophe

> Jackster

Jason

In article <7oj2k798hll0lm9f24d5llvek7ufiia2as@4ax.com>, Free Lunch
<lunch@nofreelunch.us> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 10:47:11 -0800, Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in
> alt.talk.creationism:
>
> >In article <civ1k79ogit8epsrr7cu50gv6k9vc5o1hb@4ax.com>, Free Lunch
> ><lunch@nofreelunch.us> wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 00:38:26 -0800, Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in
> >> alt.talk.creationism:

> >blame Bush2

> >> Where is your estimate from?

> >> State and federal costs are different.

> >> There are some reforms in PPACA that Mass. could not do. It will save
> >> money.
> >
> >Since California and Texas each--have far more people than there are in
> >Massachusetts--the total costs will be more than the figure shown above.
> >The figure above was based on the costs in 2010. That means that inflation
> >has had an effect on those above figures. That is another reason, the
> >figures above are lower than the cost of ObamaCare will be.
>
> It is not my fault that you refuse to read anything that we present to
> you. It is not my fault that you are too ignorant to know what portion
> of the US Massachussetts's population represents. It is not my fault
> that you worship your own ignorance and the lies you tell because of
> your ignorance.
>
> Very simply, you are wrong. You are selectively ignoring data that you
> don't want to discuss. You are being a fool for the rich, a liar for
> oppressors.
>
> >My point is that ObamaCare will cost at least $437.5 billion every 5
> >years. The firgure for 10 years would be about $875 billion dollars. That
> >means that due to ObamaCare, we would probably be adding another almost
> >one trillion dollars to the national debt about every 10 to 12 years. Is
> >that what you want to happen? ObamaCare will NOT save money--instead it
> >will cost a trillion dollars every 10 to 12 years. It will only save money
> >for people that presently don't have health insurance. If you don't
> >believe me, learn what an expert has to say:
> >
> >"To start, the federal and state governments between 2010 and 2019, will
> >dish out a mere $6.8 billion. ?That the best determination of Richard S.
> >Foster, chief actuary for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS),
> >U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Those figures are tucked
> >away in tables accompanying lengthy reports. But they represent only a tip
> >of the potential mountain of outlays that lie ahead."
>
> You have no idea what you are talking about. I have no reason to take
> you seriously when you are intentionally ignorant and foolishly jumping
> to conclusions because of that.

I provided you with a rough estimate of what the ObamaCare will cost. That
rough estimate is about a trillion dollars every 10 to 12 years.

David Fritzinger

In article <Jason-1902122320190001@66.53.221.239>,
Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:
[snip]
> I provided you with a rough estimate of what the ObamaCare will cost. That
> rough estimate is about a trillion dollars every 10 to 12 years.

What is the basis of that estimate? Is it something you figured out
yourself? If so, what are the bases for your calculation? Is there a
source you can provide?

Jason

In article <UXp0r.3155$VR6.2016@newsfe14.iad>, "Fidem Turbare, the
non-existent atheist goddess" <goddess@fidemturbare.com> wrote:

> On 2012-Feb-18 06:23, David Fritzinger wrote:
> > In article
> > <Jason-1802120213290001@67-150-121-187.lsan.mdsg-pacwest.com>,
> > Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:

> >> money that

> >> want to
> >> blaming

> >> finding
> >> running

> >> the lack

> >> year of

> >> the 2012

> >> we are

> >> recession.

> >> stimulate the
> >> both. Not
> >> control.
> >> double dip

> >> year and

> >> However,
> >> unfunded drug

> >> Will you ever blame Obama for the money that is added to the national debt?
>
> A leading question indeed. Gee, I wonder what this clown's agenda is?
>
> > Yes, when it is caused by his policies. For example, the cost of
> > stimulus belongs to Obama. If it is based on carryover Bush policies,
> > such as the Bush tax cuts, then no, Obama doesn't get the blame.
>
> That answer is reasonable and objective, which is typical of atheists.
> I find it peculiar that people keep asking for opinions here with the
> obvious expectation that they're not going to get a balanced answer.

I just find it interesting that Obama is the president that is adding
about 1 trillion dollars to the national debt each of the years that he
has been president but most liberal democrats don't blame him for any of
those trillions of dollars that he has added to the national debt. It must
be great to be Obama.

Jason

In article <dfritzin-233EB4.06370220022012@news.eternal-september.org>,
David Fritzinger <dfritzin@nospamtome.hotmail.com> wrote:

> In article <Jason-1902122320190001@66.53.221.239>,
> Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:
> [snip]
> > I provided you with a rough estimate of what the ObamaCare will cost. That
> > rough estimate is about a trillion dollars every 10 to 12 years.
>
> What is the basis of that estimate? Is it something you figured out
> yourself? If so, what are the bases for your calculation? Is there a
> source you can provide?

I have wondered how much is will cost to fund ObamaCare for one year.

The figure is about $87.5 billion per year and about $437.5 billion for
five years.

You may wonder how I came up with those above figures.

My source was this website:

The approx. cost of ObamaCare for one year.

http://tinyurl.c...

If that does not work, try: http://tinyurl.c...

If that does not work, try:
www.insurancequotes.com/health-insurance-massachusetts/

As you know, ObamaCare is based on the RomneyCare program.

This is the sentence that I found at that above site:

"An analysis from the Massachusetts Taxpayer Foundation found that the
state spending on health care reform grew from $1.04 billion in 2006 to
about $1.75 billion in 2010."

My calculations:

$1.75 billion times 50 (for 50 states) is equal to 87.5 billion dollars
per year.

$87.5 billion times 5 years is equal to $437.5 billion.

Since ObamaCare is based on the RomneyCare program in Massuchusetts--the
costs for both programs will be similar.

I multiplied 437.50 by 2 and the result was 875 billion dollars.

The rough estimate is about 1 trillion dollars every 10 to 12 years.

David Fritzinger

In article
<Jason-2002121504380001@67-150-168-157.lsan.mdsg-pacwest.com>,
Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:
[snip]
> I just find it interesting that Obama is the president that is adding
> about 1 trillion dollars to the national debt each of the years that he
> has been president but most liberal democrats don't blame him for any of
> those trillions of dollars that he has added to the national debt. It must
> be great to be Obama.

Stop lying, Jason. This has been explained to you multiple times, but
you continue to tell the same lies over and over again. So far as I
know, Christians shouldn't lie.

Remember, about 80% of the deficits during the present administration is
paying for policies started by the last administration, particularly the
ridiculous Bush tax cuts and the 2 wars that Bush started.

This is shown graphically on the following site:
http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2010/07/sources-of-our-current-de...

Free Lunch

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:04:38 -0800, Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in
alt.talk.creationism:

>In article <UXp0r.3155$VR6.2016@newsfe14.iad>, "Fidem Turbare, the
>non-existent atheist goddess" <goddess@fidemturbare.com> wrote:
>> That answer is reasonable and objective, which is typical of atheists.
>> I find it peculiar that people keep asking for opinions here with the
>> obvious expectation that they're not going to get a balanced answer.
>
>I just find it interesting that Obama is the president that is adding
>about 1 trillion dollars to the national debt each of the years that he
>has been president but most liberal democrats don't blame him for any of
>those trillions of dollars that he has added to the national debt. It must
>be great to be Obama.

The alternative is to plunge us back into a severe recession. Why do you
support another recession just to cut the deficit? How many millions of
people need to be thrown out of work to suit your commitment to a
balanced budget? Why didn't you whine about this when Reagan and the two
Bushes were running huge deficits? It's as if you are a complete
hypocrite about this.

Jason

In article <bll5k7h4efusbarkukv724jmkl8abgv8kg@4ax.com>, Free Lunch
<lunch@nofreelunch.us> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:04:38 -0800, Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in
> alt.talk.creationism:
>
> >In article <UXp0r.3155$VR6.2016@newsfe14.iad>, "Fidem Turbare, the
> >non-existent atheist goddess" <goddess@fidemturbare.com> wrote:
> >> That answer is reasonable and objective, which is typical of atheists.
> >> I find it peculiar that people keep asking for opinions here with the
> >> obvious expectation that they're not going to get a balanced answer.
> >
> >I just find it interesting that Obama is the president that is adding
> >about 1 trillion dollars to the national debt each of the years that he
> >has been president but most liberal democrats don't blame him for any of
> >those trillions of dollars that he has added to the national debt. It must
> >be great to be Obama.
>
> The alternative is to plunge us back into a severe recession. Why do you
> support another recession just to cut the deficit? How many millions of
> people need to be thrown out of work to suit your commitment to a
> balanced budget? Why didn't you whine about this when Reagan and the two
> Bushes were running huge deficits? It's as if you are a complete
> hypocrite about this.

At the very least, Obama should NOT have started any new programs that
will add about a trillion dollars to the national debt every 10 to 12
years. Obama done that in regard to developing the ObamaCare program.

Jason

In article <dfritzin-0B7F54.18151120022012@news.eternal-september.org>,
David Fritzinger <dfritzin@nospamtome.hotmail.com> wrote:

> In article
> <Jason-2002121504380001@67-150-168-157.lsan.mdsg-pacwest.com>,
> Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:
> [snip]
> > I just find it interesting that Obama is the president that is adding
> > about 1 trillion dollars to the national debt each of the years that he
> > has been president but most liberal democrats don't blame him for any of
> > those trillions of dollars that he has added to the national debt. It must
> > be great to be Obama.
>
> Stop lying, Jason. This has been explained to you multiple times, but
> you continue to tell the same lies over and over again. So far as I
> know, Christians shouldn't lie.
>
> Remember, about 80% of the deficits during the present administration is
> paying for policies started by the last administration, particularly the
> ridiculous Bush tax cuts and the 2 wars that Bush started.
>
> This is shown graphically on the following site:
> http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2010/07/sources-of-our-current-de...

Good points but he has also added ObamaCare and that program will add

<Jason-2002122127250001@66-53-211-151.lsan.mdsg-pacwest.com>,
Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:

> In article <dfritzin-0B7F54.18151120022012@news.eternal-september.org>,
> David Fritzinger <dfritzin@nospamtome.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <Jason-2002121504380001@67-150-168-157.lsan.mdsg-pacwest.com>,
> > Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > I just find it interesting that Obama is the president that is adding
> > > about 1 trillion dollars to the national debt each of the years that he
> > > has been president but most liberal democrats don't blame him for any of
> > > those trillions of dollars that he has added to the national debt. It must
> > > be great to be Obama.
> >
> > Stop lying, Jason. This has been explained to you multiple times, but
> > you continue to tell the same lies over and over again. So far as I
> > know, Christians shouldn't lie.
> >
> > Remember, about 80% of the deficits during the present administration is
> > paying for policies started by the last administration, particularly the
> > ridiculous Bush tax cuts and the 2 wars that Bush started.
> >
> > This is shown graphically on the following site:
> > http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2010/07/sources-of-our-current-de...
>
> Good points but he has also added ObamaCare and that program will add
> about a trillion dollars to the national debt every 10 to 12 years.

You are wrong, as I have shown. The ACA will *SAVE* about 125 billion
over 10 years. Stop lying.

Mitchell Holman

> In article
> <dfritzin-0B7F54.18151120022012@news.eternal-september.org>, David
> Fritzinger <dfritzin@nospamtome.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In article
>> <Jason-2002121504380001@67-150-168-157.lsan.mdsg-pacwest.com>,
>> Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:
>> [snip]
>> > I just find it interesting that Obama is the president that is
>> > adding about 1 trillion dollars to the national debt each of the
>> > years that he has been president but most liberal democrats don't
>> > blame him for any of those trillions of dollars that he has added
>> > to the national debt. It must be great to be Obama.
>>
>> Stop lying, Jason. This has been explained to you multiple times, but
>> you continue to tell the same lies over and over again. So far as I
>> know, Christians shouldn't lie.
>>
>> Remember, about 80% of the deficits during the present administration
>> is paying for policies started by the last administration,
>> particularly the ridiculous Bush tax cuts and the 2 wars that Bush
>> started.
>>
>> This is shown graphically on the following site:
>> http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2010/07/sources-of-our-current...
>> tml
>
> Good points but he has also added ObamaCare and that program will add
> about a trillion dollars to the national debt every 10 to 12 years.

Wrong.

"As of the bill's passage into law, the Congressional Budget
Office (CBO) estimated the legislation would reduce the deficit
by $143 billion over the first decade"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Affordabl...