Small, simple Ruby applications and sample code?

Double Minus

9/24/2008 3:59:00 AM

Hi all,

Is there a collection (the bigger the better) of small, simply ruby apps
along with sample code? I'm trying to learn the language and feel like
seeing a lot of really basic programs and how they were created would be
enormously helpful. Thanks!

double

Gregory Brown

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 11:59 PM, Double Minus <nathan.wisman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a collection (the bigger the better) of small, simply ruby apps
> along with sample code? I'm trying to learn the language and feel like
> seeing a lot of really basic programs and how they were created would be
> enormously helpful. Thanks!

Many are not exactly simple, but all the RubyQuiz solutions offer
something interesting, and it may be the largest collection of focused
Ruby tasks out there:

rubyquiz.com

--
Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacr... | Non-tech
stuff at: http://metametta.bl...

ara.t.howard

On Sep 23, 2008, at 9:59 PM, Double Minus wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a collection (the bigger the better) of small, simply ruby
> apps
> along with sample code? I'm trying to learn the language and feel
> like
> seeing a lot of really basic programs and how they were created
> would be
> enormously helpful. Thanks!
>
> double

here are a few small one's i've written

http://codeforp...lib/ruby/punch/punch-0.0.2...

http://codeforp...lib/ruby/mp3scrape/mp3scrape-0.0.1/bin...

http://codeforp...lib/ruby/tumblr/tumblr-0.0.1/...
http://codeforp...lib/ruby/tumblr/tumblr-0.0.1/lib...

http://codeforp...lib/ruby/rubyforge/rubyforge-0.1.1/bin...

cheers

a @ http://codeforp...
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Double Minus

Gregory Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 11:59 PM, Double Minus <nathan.wisman@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a collection (the bigger the better) of small, simply ruby apps
>> along with sample code? I'm trying to learn the language and feel like
>> seeing a lot of really basic programs and how they were created would be
>> enormously helpful. Thanks!
>
> Many are not exactly simple, but all the RubyQuiz solutions offer
> something interesting, and it may be the largest collection of focused
> Ruby tasks out there:
>
> rubyquiz.com

Nice. These are far more advanced tasks than I am able to cope with -
but this is a great site - very interesting.

Thomas Wieczorek

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 5:59 AM, Double Minus <nathan.wisman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a collection (the bigger the better) of small, simply ruby apps
> along with sample code? I'm trying to learn the language and feel like
> seeing a lot of really basic programs and how they were created would be
> enormously helpful. Thanks!

I like Topher Cyrill's _Practical Ruby Projects_
[http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Ruby-Projects-Programmer-Professionals/dp/...].
It describes six projects from start to end.

Brian Candler

Huw Collingbourne

Double Minus wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a collection (the bigger the better) of small, simply ruby apps
> along with sample code?

Sounds like one of my eBooks might be right for you. They are both free
and both come with huge numbers of small demo programs. There's The
Little Book Of Ruby - this covers all the fundamentals in 10 chapters,
with every example provided as ready-to-run code:

http://www.sapphir.../The-Little-Bo...

And there's The Book Of Ruby which is very much more 'in depth'.
Eventually The Book Of Ruby will have over 400 pages and 20 chapters.
I'm building towards this with regular updates as each chapter is
revised and added. Currently it has 9 chapters, 179 pages and 150
ready-to-run little demo programs in its source code archive (chapter 10
will be added in a few days):

http://www.sapphir.../The-Bo...

best wishes
Huw Collingbourne

SapphireSteel Software
Ruby and Rails In Visual Studio
http://www.sapphir...

Double Minus

Huw Collingbourne wrote:
> Double Minus wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a collection (the bigger the better) of small, simply ruby apps
>> along with sample code?
>
> Sounds like one of my eBooks might be right for you. They are both free
> and both come with huge numbers of small demo programs. There's The
> Little Book Of Ruby - this covers all the fundamentals in 10 chapters,
> with every example provided as ready-to-run code:
>
> http://www.sapphir.../The-Little-Bo...
>
> And there's The Book Of Ruby which is very much more 'in depth'.
> Eventually The Book Of Ruby will have over 400 pages and 20 chapters.
> I'm building towards this with regular updates as each chapter is
> revised and added. Currently it has 9 chapters, 179 pages and 150
> ready-to-run little demo programs in its source code archive (chapter 10
> will be added in a few days):
>
> http://www.sapphir.../The-Bo...
>
> best wishes
> Huw Collingbourne
>
> SapphireSteel Software
> Ruby and Rails In Visual Studio
> http://www.sapphir...

All of these are great suggestions. Huw - the books look awesome.
Thanks for replying everyone. If you know of more, keep them coming.

double

thomas peklak

Learning Ruby by programming can be fun, too. Just try out ruby-
warrior from Ryan Bates (railscasts.com).
http://github.com/ryanb/ruby-warrior/t...

It starts rather easy but gets tricky on higher levels.

Of course you can cheat. But trying to write clean code, refactoring
when code is getting messy was fun to me

Thomas

Double Minus

Thomas Peklak wrote:
> Learning Ruby by programming can be fun, too. Just try out ruby-
> warrior from Ryan Bates (railscasts.com).
> http://github.com/ryanb/ruby-warrior/t...
>
> It starts rather easy but gets tricky on higher levels.
>
> Of course you can cheat. But trying to write clean code, refactoring
> when code is getting messy was fun to me
>
> Thomas

Okay, so my lack of skills are definitely showing...

I have no idea how to use/install/play the game. I downloaded the zip,
read the readme...now what? Thanks everyone! The 99 bottles tutorial
was extremely helpful.

double

Richard Conroy

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 4:59 AM, Double Minus <nathan.wisman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a collection (the bigger the better) of small, simply ruby apps
> along with sample code? I'm trying to learn the language and feel like
> seeing a lot of really basic programs and how they were created would be
> enormously helpful. Thanks!

Its not conventional Ruby, but if the challenge <-> feedback loop isn't working
for you, you might want to give Shoes a try
http://h...
http://s...

Its a Ruby GUI toolkit, built to help kids get into programming, but
there is really
no restriction placed on it - you can happily dress regular ruby problems with
a shoes gui for rapid feedback on the problems you wish to solve.