rexml error

Eric Will

9/18/2008 11:58:00 AM

Any time it parses anything that has "xmlns:xml" defined, it spits out
an error saying you MUST NOT redefine this attribute. However,
according to the XML spec:

The prefix xml is by definition bound to the namespace name
http://www.w3.org/XML/1998.... It MAY, but need not, be
declared, and MUST NOT be bound to any other namespace name. Other
prefixes MUST NOT be bound to this namespace name, and it MUST NOT be
declared as the default namespace.

In other words, it MAY be defined as
http://www.w3.org/XML/1998.... REXML doesn't check to see what
it's defined as, it just dies anytime it sees it defined.

--
Eric Will

2 Answers

Mark Thomas

On Sep 18, 7:58 am, Eric Will <rak...@malkier.net> wrote:
> Any time it parses anything that has "xmlns:xml" defined, it spits out
> an error saying you MUST NOT redefine this attribute. However,
> according to the XML spec:
>
>   The prefix xml is by definition bound to the namespace name
>  http://www.w3.org/XML/1998.... It MAY, but need not, be
>   declared, and MUST NOT be bound to any other namespace name. Other
>   prefixes MUST NOT be bound to this namespace name, and it MUST NOT be
>   declared as the default namespace.
>
> In other words, it MAY be defined ashttp://www.w3.org/XML/1998.... REXML doesn't check to see what
> it's defined as, it just dies anytime it sees it defined.
>
> --
> Eric Will

I suggest you report it as a bug. I see a similar one:
http://www.germane-software.com/projects/rexml/...

- Mark.

P.S. in the mean time you may want to try libxml-ruby which is pretty
stable these days.

Eric Will

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Mark Thomas <mark@thomaszone.com> wrote:

> I suggest you report it as a bug. I see a similar one:
> http://www.germane-software.com/projects/rexml/...

That ticket is wrong. It's fine to define it as the default namespace.
I can't correct anything, because their tracker requires registration.
No thanks.

> - Mark.
>
> P.S. in the mean time you may want to try libxml-ruby which is pretty
> stable these days.

I'll look into it.