steping back with a debugger

Lex Williams

9/18/2008 10:49:00 AM

Does ruby have a debugger with the capability of steping back , so that
I may see where "trouble" occurs ?

Rick DeNatale

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 6:48 AM, Lex Williams <etaern@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does ruby have a debugger with the capability of steping back , so that
> I may see where "trouble" occurs ?

If by stepping back you mean "undoing" execution, then no. In general, I
dont think that it's possible
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reversible...

You can of course see the invocation stack to see how you got 'here', in
rdebug thats the where command.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...

Flaming Flamingo

What debuggers do you use?

cheers,
FF

Lex Williams

Flaming Flamingo wrote:
> What debuggers do you use?
>
> cheers,
> FF

ruby -rdebug

I figured that maybe ruby has a debugger that could step back in time ,
but I think I was wrong .

Daniel Berger

On Sep 18, 7:39=A0am, Lex Williams <eta...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Flaming Flamingo wrote:
> > What debuggers do you use?
>
> > cheers,
> > FF
>
> ruby -rdebug
>
> I figured that maybe ruby has a debugger that could step back in time ,
> but I think I was wrong .

I wonder if it will be possible in Maglev. :)

Dan

Lex Williams

steping back in time would be a great feature for the debugger to have.
I'm sure it would greatly reduce debugging time .

Huw Collingbourne

In Ruby In Steel you can navigate the call stack. This lets you
backtrack through the method calls leading to the current breakpoint (or
you can 'unwind' multiple recursive calls) and view the values of
variables at that point in the call stack... similarly, you can move to
any other point (forward and backward, wind and rewind) in the stack.

You can watch a short screencast to show this in action here:

http://www.sapphir.../static/movies/debug-1/debugger-...

best wishes
Huw Collingbourne

SapphireSteel Software
Ruby and Rails In Visual Studio
http://www.sapphir...

Lex Williams

That looks awesome ! Thanks :)

Rick DeNatale

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Lex Williams <etaern@yahoo.com> wrote:

> steping back in time would be a great feature for the debugger to have.
> I'm sure it would greatly reduce debugging time .

There are a few specialized debuggers which allow time-travel to one degree
or another.

However, to do this they need to save lots of information every time the
program 'steps' whether you are stepping through the program with the
debugger or just letting it run. I'm not sure I'd want to endure the
overhead until I really needed it.

Here's a link to someone at Cisco who extended Eclipse to allow such
temporal debugging using a complete system simulation for an embedded
system:

http://www.danbourqu...

And here's a google video of Bil Lewis demonstrating his "Omniscient
Debugger" for Java.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3897010229726822034...

--
Rick DeNatale