WIN32OLE Question

Bryan Richardson

9/16/2008 9:55:00 PM

Hello all,

I'm currently using the win32ole api to access an application on a
Windows machine using the application's COM interface. I noticed when
reading through the documents for the api that the win32ole constructor
also optionally accepts a server to be defined. This brought up my
question:

Is it possible for me to run the win32api on a Linux machine and use it
to access a Windows application via the application's COM interface over
a network connection?

--
Thanks!
Bryan

Masaki Suketa

Hello,

Bryan Richardson wrote:

> Is it possible for me to run the win32api on a Linux machine and use it
> to access a Windows application via the application's COM interface over
> a network connection?

Unfortunately, I think it is impossible.
I'm not sure and I'have not tried, but if WINE provides DCOM, you could
access Windows application's COM interface from WINE on a Linux machine.

Regards,
Masaki Suketa

Bryan Richardson

Thanks for the reply. I've thought about this approach, but after
spending a considerable amount of time on it, I was still not able to
get my Windows application to successfully run in WINE. :/

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 4:52 AM, Masaki Suketa
<masaki.suketa@nifty.ne.jp> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Bryan Richardson wrote:
>
>> Is it possible for me to run the win32api on a Linux machine and use it
>> to access a Windows application via the application's COM interface over
>> a network connection?
>
> Unfortunately, I think it is impossible.
> I'm not sure and I'have not tried, but if WINE provides DCOM, you could
> access Windows application's COM interface from WINE on a Linux machine.
>
> Regards,
> Masaki Suketa

Peña, Botp

From: Bryan Richardson [mailto:btricha@gmail.com]=20
# Thanks for the reply. I've thought about this approach, but after
# spending a considerable amount of time on it, I was still not able to
# get my Windows application to successfully run in WINE. :/

maybe wait for samba4, or better yet, support them since they are really =
doing extra ordinary work for free..

Bryan Richardson

Not sure I understand the usefulness of samba4 for solving my current
problem... care to explain?

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Pe=F1a, Botp <botp@delmonte-phil.com> wrot=
e: