Is 1.8.6 p287 the "finally fixed" version?

Jeff

9/16/2008 4:10:00 PM

Over the last couple of months there seemed to be long-running threads
of discussion/argument regarding 1.8.6 p230 and it's fixes, or lack
thereof, and compatibility with Rails.

I now see there's a 1.8.6 p287 listed under "Other News" on the
officialy Ruby site (though not in the Downloads section,
unfortunately).

Does this finally put an end to all the back-and-forth about p230?

Was there a big announcement somewhere about this that I missed (very
possible?)

Thanks,
Jeff

5 Answers

Gregory Brown

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Jeff <cohen.jeff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Over the last couple of months there seemed to be long-running threads
> of discussion/argument regarding 1.8.6 p230 and it's fixes, or lack
> thereof, and compatibility with Rails.
>
> I now see there's a 1.8.6 p287 listed under "Other News" on the
> officialy Ruby site (though not in the Downloads section,
> unfortunately).
>
> Does this finally put an end to all the back-and-forth about p230?

Not official word by any means, but while I was having all sorts of
issues with p230, p287 works-for-me

-greg

--
Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacr... | Non-tech
stuff at: http://metametta.bl...

Jeff

On Sep 16, 11:17=A0am, "Gregory Brown" <gregory.t.br...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Not official word by any means, but while I was having all sorts of
> issues with p230, p287 works-for-me
>
> -greg
>
> --
> Technical Blaag at:http://blog.majesticseacr...| Non-tech
> stuff at:http://metametta.bl...

A plea to the RubyCentral guys: can you ask Matz to address this issue
at RubyConf?

Jeff

Gregory Brown

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Jeff <cohen.jeff@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 16, 11:17 am, "Gregory Brown" <gregory.t.br...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Not official word by any means, but while I was having all sorts of
>> issues with p230, p287 works-for-me
>>
>> -greg
>>
>> --
>> Technical Blaag at:http://blog.majesticseacr...| Non-tech
>> stuff at:http://metametta.bl...
>
> A plea to the RubyCentral guys: can you ask Matz to address this issue
> at RubyConf?

If you will be there, you can ask him during Q&A, or you could repost
this question on ruby-core where you're more likely to get official
word.

-greg

--

On Sep 16, 1:04=A0pm, "Gregory Brown" <gregory.t.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Jeff <cohen.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sep 16, 11:17 am, "Gregory Brown" <gregory.t.br...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Not official word by any means, but while I was having all sorts of
> >> issues with p230, p287 works-for-me
>
> >> -greg
>
> >> --
> >> Technical Blaag at:http://blog.majesticseacr...|Non-tech
> >> stuff at:http://metametta.bl...
>
> > A plea to the RubyCentral guys: can you ask Matz to address this issue
> > at RubyConf?
>
> If you will be there, you can ask him during Q&A, or you could repost
> this question on ruby-core where you're more likely to get official
> word.

I will be there - duh! Good idea. Thanks.

Jeff

Rob Sanheim

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Jeff <cohen.jeff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Over the last couple of months there seemed to be long-running threads
> of discussion/argument regarding 1.8.6 p230 and it's fixes, or lack
> thereof, and compatibility with Rails.
>
> I now see there's a 1.8.6 p287 listed under "Other News" on the
> officialy Ruby site (though not in the Downloads section,
> unfortunately).
>
> Does this finally put an end to all the back-and-forth about p230?
>
> Was there a big announcement somewhere about this that I missed (very
> possible?)
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

I would say the consensus is 'yes', p287 is stable. Most of the
bigger Rails hosting providers have moved to 287 for their
deployments, which usually a good sign that it's proved itself out in
many real world deployments.

- Rob

http://thinkrel...
http://runc...