RubyConf hotel: Only single-bed rooms available at group rate?

James Britt

9/13/2008 4:32:00 PM

Yesterday, the day or the day after I got the RubyConf E-mail giving me
the conference group discount code, I went to book 2 rooms for 4 people
at the conference hotel. The Web site only offered me rooms with 1
King bed.

I called the hotel and was told that *only* 1-King rooms were available
for that rate.

Were there only some tiny number of 2-bed rooms available that just got
booked fast, or is this some group booking screw-up where no one thought
that people would be doubling up for the stay?

Has anyone else ran into this? Any way to get 1-King swapped for
2-doubles?

I like my co-workers, but I'm just not that into cuddling with them. :)

And $160 (+ insane taxes and fees) per person is pricey.

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding

Gregory Brown

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 12:32 PM, James Britt <james.britt@gmail.com> wrote:

> And $160 (+ insane taxes and fees) per person is pricey.

The fees will be waived, apparently, but the base rate + taxes are pricey.
I think, unfortunately, that's the cost of expansion. The cheap
hotels don't easily accommodate 500. :-/

--
Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacr... | Non-tech
stuff at: http://metametta.bl...

James Britt

Gregory Brown wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 12:32 PM, James Britt <james.britt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And $160 (+ insane taxes and fees) per person is pricey.
>
> The fees will be waived, apparently, but the base rate + taxes are pricey.
> I think, unfortunately, that's the cost of expansion. The cheap
> hotels don't easily accommodate 500. :-/

Well, it wouldn't be so bad if shared with another person, but forcing
people to go with one bed if they want that price is criminal.

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding

Craig Demyanovich

My partners and I were only able to book a non-smoking room with 1 king bed
or a smoking room with 2 double beds. We ended going with one of each, since
two of us really didn't want a smoking room.

Craig

James Britt

Craig Demyanovich wrote:
> My partners and I were only able to book a non-smoking room with 1 king bed
> or a smoking room with 2 double beds. We ended going with one of each, since
> two of us really didn't want a smoking room.

Seems all the rooms at the conference rate are now sold out.

Little wonder; people are discourage from doubling up.

Nice business.

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding

Charles Oliver Nutter

James Britt wrote:
> Craig Demyanovich wrote:
>> My partners and I were only able to book a non-smoking room with 1
>> king bed
>> or a smoking room with 2 double beds. We ended going with one of each,
>> since
>> two of us really didn't want a smoking room.
>

> Seems all the rooms at the conference rate are now sold out.
>
> Little wonder; people are discourage from doubling up.
>
> Nice business.

That was quick. What were there, a dozen of them?

- Charlie

Rick DeNatale

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 12:43 AM, James Britt <james.britt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Craig Demyanovich wrote:
>
>> My partners and I were only able to book a non-smoking room with 1 king
>> bed
>> or a smoking room with 2 double beds. We ended going with one of each,
>> since
>> two of us really didn't want a smoking room.
>>

> Seems all the rooms at the conference rate are now sold out.

If true, that's unfortunate, since at least one of the speakers (me) hasn't
booked a room yet!

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...

Rick DeNatale

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 12:43 AM, James Britt <james.britt@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Craig Demyanovich wrote:
> >
> >> My partners and I were only able to book a non-smoking room with 1 king
> >> bed
> >> or a smoking room with 2 double beds. We ended going with one of each,
> >> since
> >> two of us really didn't want a smoking room.
> >>

> > Seems all the rooms at the conference rate are now sold out.
> >

> If true, that's unfortunate, since at least one of the speakers (me) hasn't
> booked a room yet!

As I sent that my wife was getting us reservations. She managed to get two
nights at the convention rate, and three at $30/night more.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...

David A. Black

Hi --

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008, James Britt wrote:

> Craig Demyanovich wrote:
>> My partners and I were only able to book a non-smoking room with 1 king bed
>> or a smoking room with 2 double beds. We ended going with one of each,
>> since
>> two of us really didn't want a smoking room.
>

> Seems all the rooms at the conference rate are now sold out.
>
> Little wonder; people are discourage from doubling up.
>
> Nice business.

If there's something wrong with the hotel system, please let us
know (contact@rubycentral.org). It's extremely unlikely that it's sold
out; we have not been notified by the hotel that they have run out of
our block of rooms. It's very possible, though, that their reservation
system is screwing up in some way, and we will of course talk to them
about that.

It will be more efficient if people having problems can contact
contact@rubycentral.org directly, since we don't monitor this list for
event-specific problem reports.

Thanks --

David

Intro to Ruby on Rails January 12-15 Fort Lauderdale, FL
Advancing with Rails January 19-22 Fort Lauderdale, FL *
* Co-taught with Patrick Ewing!
See http://www.r... for details and updates!

James Britt

David A. Black wrote:

> If there's something wrong with the hotel system, please let us
> know (contact@rubycentral.org).

I tried contacting you personally; I gather it got lost someplace. I
then posted here in the hopes that some had some ideas on how to correct
this before the hotel got more full for the target dates (making it
harder for them to fix things even if they wanted to).

I've now sent an account my problems to the rubycentral e-mail address.

Hopefully, people who have booked the 1-bed rooms can get them changed
to 2-bed rooms, making more rooms available overall. (And reducing some
amount of "inappropriate touching". :) )

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding

Richard Kilmer

We very much apologize if this has inconvenienced folks, our intent
was to make this run smoothly, but we don't control all these hotel
employees and the horrible systems that they use.

We signed for 700 room nights and an option of 150 more. We have to
fill 90% of those or WE PAY (RubyCentral). This is the way hotels
work for conferences of our size. (so yeah, Charles, its a few more
than a dozen).

We should have plenty of rooms at last count. We have single-bed
rooms and double-bed rooms for the rate of $159/night which extends
from Oct 31 - Nov 13.

If the booking person you are speaking with says otherwise, they are
wrong and you should ask for the head of hotel reservations or email
us at contact@rubycentral.org

We will contact the hotel (again) today to ensure things are flowing
properly.

Best regards,

Rich Kilmer