comp.lang.javascript

Omitting a bar

Dr J R Stockton

5/21/2014 4:47:00 PM

This code, in my (current) Firefox, generates a new window with an
unwanted bar.

function MakeWindow(K) {
var Win = window.open("", "_blank",
"width=678,height=800,scrollbars=yes")
Win.document.write(FigBody(K, true)) }

The top bar is blue, with logo and "Mozilla Firefox" to the left and the
usual three buttons to the right. The unwanted bar follows, grey, with
to the left a symbol followed by the URL of the parent page. The rest
contains the value from FigBody.

Can the unwanted bar be removed, and if so how, preferably in all
browsers?

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. For Mail, see Home Page. Turnpike, WinXP.
Web <http://www.merlyn.demon.... - FAQ-type topics, acronyms, and links.

JJ

On Wed, 21 May 2014 17:47:10 +0100, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> This code, in my (current) Firefox, generates a new window with an
> unwanted bar.
>
> function MakeWindow(K) {
> var Win = window.open("", "_blank",
> "width=678,height=800,scrollbars=yes")
> Win.document.write(FigBody(K, true)) }
>
> The top bar is blue, with logo and "Mozilla Firefox" to the left and the
> usual three buttons to the right. The unwanted bar follows, grey, with
> to the left a symbol followed by the URL of the parent page. The rest
> contains the value from FigBody.
>
> Can the unwanted bar be removed, and if so how, preferably in all
> browsers?

That's looks like the address bar ("location" feature string).

Other feature strings you might want to try to disable:
toolbar, personalbar, menubar

Osmo Saarikumpu

On 21.5.2014 19:47, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> This code, in my (current) Firefox, generates a new window with an
> unwanted bar.
>
> function MakeWindow(K) {
> var Win = window.open("", "_blank",
> "width=678,height=800,scrollbars=yes")
> Win.document.write(FigBody(K, true)) }
>
> The top bar is blue, with logo and "Mozilla Firefox" to the left and the
> usual three buttons to the right. The unwanted bar follows, grey, with
> to the left a symbol followed by the URL of the parent page. The rest
> contains the value from FigBody.

That would be the Location bar, which your code implicitly sets to:

location=no

as setting only scrollbars would implicitly turn of other properties.
Thus, the location bar being visible is due to FF security settings
(from about ver. 3 IIRC), which do not allow hiding it anymore.

> Can the unwanted bar be removed, and if so how, preferably in all
> browsers?

I guess not, although you may remove it from your copy of FF via
about:config by setting:

dom.disable_window_open_feature.location

to false.

--
Best wishes, Osmo

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <lll05p$jls$1@dont-email.me>, Thu, 22
May 2014 17:04:32, Osmo Saarikumpu <osmo@weppipakki.com> posted:

>On 21.5.2014 19:47, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>> This code, in my (current) Firefox, generates a new window with an
>> unwanted bar.
>>
>> function MakeWindow(K) {
>> var Win = window.open("", "_blank",
>> "width=678,height=800,scrollbars=yes")
>> Win.document.write(FigBody(K, true)) }
>>
>> The top bar is blue, with logo and "Mozilla Firefox" to the left and the
>> usual three buttons to the right. The unwanted bar follows, grey, with
>> to the left a symbol followed by the URL of the parent page. The rest
>> contains the value from FigBody.
>
>That would be the Location bar, which your code implicitly sets to:
>
>location=no
>
>as setting only scrollbars would implicitly turn of other properties.
>Thus, the location bar being visible is due to FF security settings
>(from about ver. 3 IIRC), which do not allow hiding it anymore.
>
>> Can the unwanted bar be removed, and if so how, preferably in all
>> browsers?
>
>I guess not, although you may remove it from your copy of FF via
>about:config by setting:
>
>dom.disable_window_open_feature.location
>
>to false.

No; I wanted JavaScript to remove the bar on any browser that would show
it, but only for this particular page. So I shall just have to tolerate
the bar, suggest using Safari, find out why the code fails in my IE8, or
get a new computer with a later IE and a tall enough screen (pending).

Thanks.

I have a DIV which I want to be positioned absolutely near the top of
the BODY and also floated right. Float and absolute seem incompatible,
so I presumably need to absolutely position the DIV sideways at an
offset computed from the BODY width and the DIV width. If anyone can
provide actual code that works for that, it would help. The DIV does
not need to be exactly at the float-right position, just near there
where there is clear space.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK Reply address via Merlyn Home Page.
news:comp.lang.javascript FAQ <http://www.jibbering.com/faq/inde....

Osmo Saarikumpu

On 23.5.2014 23:11, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

> I have a DIV which I want to be positioned absolutely near the top of
> the BODY and also floated right. Float and absolute seem incompatible,
> so I presumably need to absolutely position the DIV sideways at an
> offset computed from the BODY width and the DIV width. If anyone can
> provide actual code that works for that, it would help. The DIV does
> not need to be exactly at the float-right position, just near there
> where there is clear space.

IIUYC, this seems purely a CSS issue:

body {
/*set BODY as the nearest positioned ancestor and
establish a new block formatting context for it's contents:*/
position:relative;
}

div {
position: absolute;