how to create a table using ActiveRecord alone

Li Chen

9/11/2008 3:08:00 PM

Hi all,

I know I can create a table by running MySql first. I search some
tutorials on google but they all talk about creating a table using
MySql-like database then use ActiveRecord to connect them. I wonder if
it is possible to create a table with ActiveRecord only.

Thanks,

Li

Florian Gilcher

On Sep 11, 2008, at 5:07 PM, Li Chen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know I can create a table by running MySql first. I search some
> tutorials on google but they all talk about creating a table using
> MySql-like database then use ActiveRecord to connect them. I wonder if
> it is possible to create a table with ActiveRecord only.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Li

You could use migrations. But thats just another way of describing the
table.

If you want another approach (defining a model and then letting the
abstraction
layer create the required database), you could use datamapper
instead[1].

Then, you class will look like this:

1 class Post
2 include DataMapper::Resource
3 property :id, Integer, :serial => true
4 property :title, String
5 property :subtitle, String :lazy => [:show]
6 property :body, Text :lazy => [:show]
7 property :views, Integer, :lazy => [:show]
8 property :summary, Text
9 end

#and

Post.auto_migrate!

will create/migrate your table automatically.

Regards,
Florian

[1]: http://www.data...

Li Chen

Florian Gilcher wrote:
> If you want another approach (defining a model and then letting the
> abstraction
> layer create the required database), you could use datamapper
> instead[1].
>
> Then, you class will look like this:

> [1]: http://www.data...

I visit the wetsite: http://www.data.... It says it is not good
under window system. I wonder how good it is under Vista.