invalid char '\220' in expression

Mateusz Winiarski

9/10/2008 11:00:00 AM

Greetings,

Using Ruby in NetBeans I've got following error in separate cases with
gems:

<path>/<file>.so:1: Invalid char `\220' in expression.

What is it about ?

Thanks.

6 Answers

Lars Christensen

On Sep 10, 1:00 pm, MAwiniarski <MAwiniar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Using Ruby in NetBeans I've got following error in separate cases with
> gems:
>
> <path>/<file>.so:1: Invalid char `\220' in expression.
>
> What is it about ?

By coincience, I stumbled over the exact same error message yesterday
while making a wrapper for some ruby scripts. It turned out I had
accidentally called ruby.exe with the ruby.exe executable as argument,
for example (simplified):

system("ruby c:\\ruby\\bin\\ruby.exe")

'\220' is 0x90 HEX and the third byte (after two ASCII chars) in a
Windows executable or DLL. Ruby doesn't like that when attempting to
parse an executable.

Hope it helps,
Lars

Mateusz Winiarski

On 10 Wrz, 13:26, Lars Christensen <lar...@belunktum.dk> wrote:
> On Sep 10, 1:00 pm, MAwiniarski <MAwiniar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Using Ruby in NetBeans I've got following error in separate cases with
> > gems:
>
> > <path>/<file>.so:1: Invalid char `\220' in expression.
>
> > What is it about ?
>
> By coincience, I stumbled over the exact same error message yesterday
> while making a wrapper for some ruby scripts. It turned out I had
> accidentally called ruby.exe with the ruby.exe executable as argument,
> for example (simplified):
>
>     system("ruby c:\\ruby\\bin\\ruby.exe")
>
> '\220' is 0x90 HEX and the third byte (after two ASCII chars) in a
> Windows executable or DLL. Ruby doesn't like that when attempting to
> parse an executable.
>
> Hope it helps,
> Lars

I'm using it with NetBeans Rails project, running Rake Task db:create
(already defined command).

Mateusz Winiarski

On 10 Wrz, 13:26, Lars Christensen <lar...@belunktum.dk> wrote:
> On Sep 10, 1:00 pm, MAwiniarski <MAwiniar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Using Ruby in NetBeans I've got following error in separate cases with
> > gems:
>
> > <path>/<file>.so:1: Invalid char `\220' in expression.
>
> > What is it about ?
>
> By coincience, I stumbled over the exact same error message yesterday
> while making a wrapper for some ruby scripts. It turned out I had
> accidentally called ruby.exe with the ruby.exe executable as argument,
> for example (simplified):
>
>     system("ruby c:\\ruby\\bin\\ruby.exe")
>
> '\220' is 0x90 HEX and the third byte (after two ASCII chars) in a
> Windows executable or DLL. Ruby doesn't like that when attempting to
> parse an executable.
>
> Hope it helps,
> Lars

Maybe *.so files needs to be saved in a different encoding (ASCII,
UTF, ...) ?

Jano Svitok

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 21:18, MAwiniarski <MAwiniarski@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 Wrz, 13:26, Lars Christensen <lar...@belunktum.dk> wrote:
>> On Sep 10, 1:00 pm, MAwiniarski <MAwiniar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Using Ruby in NetBeans I've got following error in separate cases with
>> > gems:
>>
>> > <path>/<file>.so:1: Invalid char `\220' in expression.
>>
>> > What is it about ?
>>
>> By coincience, I stumbled over the exact same error message yesterday
>> while making a wrapper for some ruby scripts. It turned out I had
>> accidentally called ruby.exe with the ruby.exe executable as argument,
>> for example (simplified):
>>
>> system("ruby c:\\ruby\\bin\\ruby.exe")
>>
>> '\220' is 0x90 HEX and the third byte (after two ASCII chars) in a
>> Windows executable or DLL. Ruby doesn't like that when attempting to
>> parse an executable.
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>> Lars
>
> Maybe *.so files needs to be saved in a different encoding (ASCII,
> UTF, ...) ?

so is usually renamed dll file (on windows) or the library itself (on
linux), so no encoding change needed.
What are you doing when you get this error?

Mateusz Winiarski

While using gems with NetBeans,

I've created new Rails Project
then generated Scaffold
then I want to create database
using Rake Task db:create :

and gets:

.../mysql.so:1: Invalid char `\220' ('<square>') in expression.

I've installed mysql ruby gem earlier. And mysql.so comes with this
gem.

On 10 Wrz, 21:37, "Jano Svitok" <jan.svi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 21:18, MAwiniarski <MAwiniar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> By coincience, I stumbled over the exact same error message yesterday
> >> while making a wrapper for some ruby scripts. It turned out I had
> >> accidentally called ruby.exe with the ruby.exe executable as argument,
> >> for example (simplified):
>
> >> =A0 =A0 system("ruby c:\\ruby\\bin\\ruby.exe")
>
> >> '\220' is 0x90 HEX and the third byte (after two ASCII chars) in a
> >> Windows executable or DLL. Ruby doesn't like that when attempting to
> >> parse an executable.
>
> >> Hope it helps,
> >> Lars
>
> > Maybe *.so files needs to be saved in a different encoding (ASCII,
>
> .so is usually renamed dll file (on windows) or the library itself (on
> linux), so no encoding change needed.
> What are you doing when you get this error?

Mateusz Winiarski

The answer to topic question is to use pure Ruby interpreter in
NetBeans, NOT NetBeans' JRuby.