Re: TCPSocket#initialize slow on Windows

Victor 'Zverok' Shepelev

9/6/2008 9:41:00 AM

From: rogerpack2005@gmail.com [mailto:rogerpack2005@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 6:53 PM

>> I've kinda tried 127.0.0.1 and it was the same slow... and after I've
>> tried
>> your advice and required 'resolv-replace', all things became fast. But
>> then,
>> when I commented out "require 'resolv-replace'", they are still fast.
>> I'm
>> slightly shocked for now. Are there any explanations, or just it some
>> kind
>> of network magic I'll never debug about?
>>
>> Anyway, thank you for advice.
>
>Kind of reminds me of OS X 10.5's DNS problems--the first lookup
>sometimes takes 15s, then after that it's cached so it's fast. Maybe?
>The fix for that on OS X was to switch to opendns name servers. Not
>sure about XP tho.
>-=R

Thanks for your help. It seems now the problem somewhere deeper in my
test-cases :-
BTW, while experimenting I've found resolv not able to resolve LAN names.

BTW2, I've also found ruby1.9's Resolv fails with unicode errors (reading
etc/hosts) on Russian Windows XP :)

V.

4 Answers

Roger Pack

> Thanks for your help. It seems now the problem somewhere deeper in my
> test-cases :->
> BTW, while experimenting I've found resolv not able to resolve LAN
> names.
>
> BTW2, I've also found ruby1.9's Resolv fails with unicode errors
> (reading
> etc/hosts) on Russian Windows XP :)

Hmm. Maybe a bug report?

If you're worried the problem is XP then I suppose there's
virtualbox+linux or andLinux or what not.
Take care!

-=R

LeftistClimateScum

"Surfer" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 15:49:06 -0700 (PDT), Last Post
> <last_post@primus.ca> wrote:
>

>>? ROTFL - There is no war nor has there been
>> any global warming.
>>
> Perhaps you don't trust the temperature measurements because of
> allegations made about them.
>
> However, the graph on the right of this page shows that Arctic sea ice
> extent is continuing to decline.

But what about global temperature???
Why are you ignoring it?

After A Decade Of NO WARMING, Here Come The Excuses

Oct 28 2011

Finally the warmists are facing up a problem that so many in the media
refused to even acknowledge:

Barnes had uncovered a piece of a puzzle that has provoked, frustrated and
focused climate scientists over the past half decade. It is a mystery that
has given cover to forces arrayed against the reality of human-driven global
warming. And it is a question that can be easily stated: Why, despite
steadily accumulating greenhouse gases, did the rise of the planet's
temperature stall for the past decade?

"If you look at the last decade of global temperature, it's not increasing,"
Barnes said. "There's a lot of scatter to it. But the climate models go up.
And that has to be explained. Why didn't we warm up?"

http://www.eenews.net/public/Greenwire/20...

Judith Curry has not much sympathy for the excuses being trotted out by some
alarmists.

After citing some, she concludes:

Well thank you IPCC authors for letting us know what is really behind that
"very likely" assessment of attribution 20th century warming.

A lot of overbloated over confidence that cannot survive a few years of
cooling.

The light bulbs seem to be just turning on in your heads over the last two
years. Think about all the wasted energy fighting the "deniers" when they
could have been listening, trying to understand their arguments, and making
progress to increase our understanding of the causes of climate variability
and change.

http://judithcurry.com/2011/10/27/candid-comments-from-global-warming-scientists/...

Warmest Regards

B0nnz0

"It is a remarkable fact that despite the worldwide expenditure of perhaps
US$50 billion since 1990, and the efforts of tens of thousands of scientists
worldwide, no human climate signal has yet been detected that is distinct
from natural variation."

Bob Carter, Research Professor of Geology, James Cook University, Townsville

"A major problem has been the co-option of climate science by politics,
ambition, greed, and what seems to be a hereditary human need for a
righteous cause."

"What better cause than "saving" the planet, especially if one can get
ample, secure funding at the same time?"

William Happer, Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics, Princeton
University.

"The claim is that the temperature has changed from ~288.0 to ~288.8?K in
about 150 years, which, if true, means to me that the temperature has been
amazingly stable, and both human health and happiness have definitely
improved in this 'warming' period,".

Nobel Laureate Dr. Ivar Giaever:

"If climate has not "tipped" in over 4 billion years it's not going to tip
now due to mankind. The planet has a natural thermostat"

Richard S. Lindzen, Atmospheric Physicist, Professor of Meteorology MIT,
Former IPCC Lead Author

"A core problem is that science has given way to ideology. The scientific
method has been dispensed with, or abused, to serve the myth of man-made
global warming."

"The World Turned Upside Down", Melanie Phillips

"Computer models are built in an almost backwards fashion: The goal is to
show evidence of AGW, and the "scientists" go to work to produce such a
result. When even these models fail to show what advocates want, the data
and interpretations are "fudged" to bring about the desired result"

"The World Turned Upside Down", Melanie Phillips

"Ocean acidification looks suspiciously like a back-up plan by the
environmental pressure groups in case the climate fails to warm: another try
at condemning fossil fuels!"

http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog/threat-ocean-acidification-greatly-e...

Before attacking hypothetical problems, let us first solve the real problems
that threaten humanity. One single water pump at an equivalent cost of a
couple of solar panels can indeed spare hundreds of Sahel women the daily
journey to the spring and spare many infections and lives.

Martin De Vlieghere, philosopher

"All it takes to find oneself called a 'denier' is to seek a sense of
proportion about environmental problems"

Mark Lynas, The God Species

Surfer

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 15:57:05 +1100, "LeftistClimateScum"
<LeftistClimateScum@LeftistClimateScum> wrote:

>"If you look at the last decade of global temperature, it's not increasing,"
>Barnes said. "There's a lot of scatter to it. But the climate models go up.
>And that has to be explained. Why didn't we warm up?"
>
>http://www.eenews.net/public/Greenwire/20...

<Start extract>

This past summer, Robert Kaufmann, the BU geographer, made waves when
he released a modeling study suggesting that the hiatus in warming
could be due entirely to El Ni?o and increased sulfates from China's
coal burning. While the figures Kaufmann used for the study were based
on the country's coal combustion, and not actual emissions -- a big
point of uncertainty -- many scientists saw some truth in his
assertions.

<snip>

Kaufmann's findings may only be relevant for so long. Since 2006,
China has begun to mandate scrubbers for its coal-fired power plants,
though it is uncertain how often the scrubbers, even when installed,
are operated. But change is coming, said Daniel Jacob, an atmospheric
chemist at Harvard University.

"The sulfate sources have been leveling off, because they've been
starting to put serious emission controls on their power plants,"
Jacob said. "It's interesting. When you look at the future emission
scenarios from the [next U.N. climate report], you see SO2 emissions
dropping like a rock, even in the coming decades. Because basically
China is going to have to do something about its public health
problem."

More scrubbers -- good news for the Chinese, but not for short-term
warming.

"You could have a repeat of the rapid warming of 1980s and 1990s,"
Kaufmann said.

<End extract>

> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 15:57:05 +1100, "LeftistClimateScum"
> <LeftistClimateScum@LeftistClimateScum> wrote:
>

>>"If you look at the last decade of global temperature, it's not
>>increasing,"
>>Barnes said. "There's a lot of scatter to it. But the climate models go
>>up.
>>And that has to be explained. Why didn't we warm up?"
>>
>>http://www.eenews.net/public/Greenwire/20...
>>

> <Start extract>
>
> This past summer, Robert Kaufmann, the BU geographer, made waves when
> he released a modeling study suggesting that the hiatus in warming
> could be due entirely to El Ni?o and increased sulfates from China's
> coal burning. While the figures Kaufmann used for the study were based
> on the country's coal combustion, and not actual emissions -- a big
> point of uncertainty -- many scientists saw some truth in his
> assertions.
>
> <snip>
>
> Kaufmann's findings may only be relevant for so long. Since 2006,
> China has begun to mandate scrubbers for its coal-fired power plants,
> though it is uncertain how often the scrubbers, even when installed,
> are operated. But change is coming, said Daniel Jacob, an atmospheric
> chemist at Harvard University.
>
> "The sulfate sources have been leveling off, because they've been
> starting to put serious emission controls on their power plants,"
> Jacob said. "It's interesting. When you look at the future emission
> scenarios from the [next U.N. climate report], you see SO2 emissions
> dropping like a rock, even in the coming decades. Because basically
> China is going to have to do something about its public health
> problem."
>
> More scrubbers -- good news for the Chinese, but not for short-term
> warming.
>
> "You could have a repeat of the rapid warming of 1980s and 1990s,"
> Kaufmann said.
>
> <End extract>

Excuses, excuses, ...

What were "the (totally useless) models" and ALL the leftist/warmist whackos
saying?
Let me guess ...