Ping.pingecho

John Maclean

8/29/2008 3:46:00 PM

Cisco.com don't normally allow pings so tracroutes and pings won't get
echo requests.

irb(main):003:0> Ping.pingecho('cisco.com', 10, 80)
=> true

How come this works and `ping` does not? From irb I see that Ruby's
ping uses a TCP echo. Also I've run tcpdump whilst running ping.echo
and could not determine the port that it uses. What port does Ruby's
Ping use?
--
John Maclean - 07739 171 531
MSc (DIC)

1 Answer

John Pritchard-williams

john maclean wrote:
> Cisco.com don't normally allow pings so tracroutes and pings won't get
> echo requests.
>

> irb(main):003:0> Ping.pingecho('cisco.com', 10, 80)
> => true
>
> How come this works and `ping` does not? From irb I see that Ruby's
> ping uses a TCP echo. Also I've run tcpdump whilst running ping.echo
> and could not determine the port that it uses. What port does Ruby's
> Ping use?

check out:

http://www.noobkit.com/show/ruby/ruby/standard-library/ping/pin...

According to this the 'echo' port.

grep'ing 'echo' in my /etc/services reveals this is port 7...apparently.
(UDP and TCP).