Parameter Type Checking in methods.Q?

John Pritchard-williams

8/29/2008 11:40:00 AM

Again...just wondering....(and you can probably tell I'm comparing Ruby
with Java/C here again, following on from the "++" discussion...)

def MyObject
def my_method(obj)
if obj.class!=String then raise "Wrong Type!"
end
...stuff...

Would it cause problems with the general syntax to include some sugar to
rewrite this as:

def my_method(String obj)

Or is there any quick easy meta-programming to label methods as
expecting certain types?

Or am I being a big-baby wanting this kind of check, and I should get on
with the Dynamic Vibe of Ruby ? :)

(I just noticed that sometimes I get lost in my own programs by not
checking types thoroughly; yet Java would have forced me to stop and
think...)

John

David A. Black

Hi --

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, John Pritchard-williams wrote:

> Again...just wondering....(and you can probably tell I'm comparing Ruby
> with Java/C here again, following on from the "++" discussion...)
>
> def MyObject
> def my_method(obj)
> if obj.class!=String then raise "Wrong Type!"
> end
> ...stuff...
>
> Would it cause problems with the general syntax to include some sugar to
> rewrite this as:

> def my_method(String obj)
>
> Or is there any quick easy meta-programming to label methods as
> expecting certain types?
>
> Or am I being a big-baby wanting this kind of check, and I should get on
> with the Dynamic Vibe of Ruby ? :)
>
> (I just noticed that sometimes I get lost in my own programs by not
> checking types thoroughly; yet Java would have forced me to stop and
> think...)

I hate to sound curmudgeonly but please check out the probably
(literally) 2500 posts about this and related questions from the past.
It's been discussed and explained mind-numbingly many times.

David

Intro to Ruby on Rails January 12-15 Fort Lauderdale, FL
Advancing with Rails January 19-22 Fort Lauderdale, FL *
* Co-taught with Patrick Ewing!
See http://www.r... for details and updates!

John Pritchard-williams

> I hate to sound curmudgeonly but please check out the probably
> (literally) 2500 posts about this and related questions from the past.
> It's been discussed and explained mind-numbingly many times.
>

> David

Apologies. I did have a check on the forum beforehand but didn't find a
match - perhaps I need to learn how to search properly... :-)

http://www.ruby-...forum/4?filter=parameter+t...
http://www.ruby-...forum/4?filter=parameter+...
http://www.ruby-...forum/4?filter=para...
http://www.ruby-...forum/4?filter=para...+sugar

(or else there is no simple answer I guess...)

Cheers
John

Robert Klemme

2008/8/29 David A. Black <dblack@rubypal.com>:

> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, John Pritchard-williams wrote:

>> Or am I being a big-baby wanting this kind of check, and I should get on
>> with the Dynamic Vibe of Ruby ? :)

Exactly. :-)

>> (I just noticed that sometimes I get lost in my own programs by not
>> checking types thoroughly; yet Java would have forced me to stop and
>> think...)
>
> I hate to sound curmudgeonly but please check out the probably

David, thanks for an English word I have never seen before! Now I
just need to learn how to spell it without breaking my tongue... :-)

> (literally) 2500 posts about this and related questions from the past.
> It's been discussed and explained mind-numbingly many times.

You mean like http://www.lyricsfreak.com/p/pink+floyd/comfortably+numb_201...
?

John, suggested search terms to use "static typing", "dynamic typing",
"duck typing".

Cheers

robert

David A. Black

Hi --

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, John Pritchard-williams wrote:

>> I hate to sound curmudgeonly but please check out the probably
>> (literally) 2500 posts about this and related questions from the past.
>> It's been discussed and explained mind-numbingly many times.
>>

>> David
>
> Apologies. I did have a check on the forum beforehand but didn't find a
> match - perhaps I need to learn how to search properly... :-)
>
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/4?filter=parameter+t...
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/4?filter=parameter+...
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/4?filter=para...
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/4?filter=para...+sugar
>
> (or else there is no simple answer I guess...)

Try googling for: "type checking" ruby (even though 99% of the time
it's really class/module ancestry checking, it gets raised as type
checking so that's a better bet for searching).

David

Intro to Ruby on Rails January 12-15 Fort Lauderdale, FL
Advancing with Rails January 19-22 Fort Lauderdale, FL *
* Co-taught with Patrick Ewing!
See http://www.r... for details and updates!

John Pritchard-williams

> John, suggested search terms to use "static typing", "dynamic typing",
> "duck typing".

Thanks ! (and I'll stop spamming this subject now!)