A Mascot...

Mayuresh Kathe

I've been doing a lot of miscellaneous reading and thinking about Ruby.
This is in addition to the process of learning the language itself.

It occurred to me that while Ruby probably has a logo (the ruby gem
itself) it doesn't have a mascot.

I've done some reading of past posts on the topic of a Ruby mascot,
but somehow nothing has come to pass.

A mascot is quite important, it serves as an identity to let people
become visually creative.
Take for example the BSD Demon (Chuck), the Linux Penguin (Tux), The
Darwin Platypus (Hexley).

Can we ask a graphics designer to develop a mascot for us?
One such artist who comes to mind quickly is Jon Hooper, the guy who
developed Hexley (http://www.h...).
If we ask nicely, maybe he would do it for us. :-)

~Mayuresh

78 Answers

Phlip

Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> It occurred to me that while Ruby probably has a logo (the ruby gem
> itself) it doesn't have a mascot.

Yay! Another reason Ruby Rules!!!

--
Phlip

Mayuresh Kathe

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Phlip <phlip2005@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
>
>> It occurred to me that while Ruby probably has a logo (the ruby gem
>> itself) it doesn't have a mascot.
>
> Yay! Another reason Ruby Rules!!!

:-)

Michal Suchanek

On 20/08/2008, Mayuresh Kathe <kathe.mayuresh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Phlip <phlip2005@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> >
> >> It occurred to me that while Ruby probably has a logo (the ruby gem
> >> itself) it doesn't have a mascot.
> >
> > Yay! Another reason Ruby Rules!!!
>

> :-)

From the last discussion on this topic I got the impression that the
reason for this is very pragmatic: there is little hope that a mascot
that appeals to both Asian people and Western people could be found.

Looking, for example, at the Chinese Olympics merchandise I guess I
can understand some of the reasons behind this disagreement.

Thanks

Michal

Mayuresh Kathe

Clinton, what's your opinion about http://www.h...

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Clinton D. Judy <cdj@goh-inc.com> wrote:
> Which is why a great graphic designer could come up with something that works well in both worlds. It's possible, but you wouldn't want someone from either side making something that only works for their side of the world.
>
> I'm with the mascot crowd here. I'm a big fan of ruby, but it's much harder to get attached to a symbol like the ruby. Personifying ANY language with a mascot makes it more fun. :-)
>
> Plus, stuffed animals for the kids.
>
> - Clinton

Marcelo Junior

What do you think of a minerador?

Marcelo Junior

Marcelo Junior wrote:
> What do you think of a minerador?

minerador = miner

Robert Dober

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Phlip <phlip2005@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
>
>> It occurred to me that while Ruby probably has a logo (the ruby gem
>> itself) it doesn't have a mascot.
>
> Yay! Another reason Ruby Rules!!!
Amen
R.

Clinton D. Judy

I think it looks cute. It's easy to identify with. My only gripe would
be how loosely Hexley is tied with the BSD Devil; I think that would
need to be either stronger, or just non-existant. But I don't use Darwin
OS, so...

Does Perl, C, or Smalltalk have a mascot? I'm trying to come up with
starting points. In any case, a cute animal of some kind would be a
winner here.

> Which is why a great graphic designer could come up with something
that works well in both worlds. It's possible, but you wouldn't want
someone from either side making something that only works for their side
of the world.

> I'm with the mascot crowd here. I'm a big fan of ruby, but it's much
harder to get attached to a symbol like the ruby. Personifying ANY
language with a mascot makes it more fun. :-)

> Plus, stuffed animals for the kids.
>
> - Clinton

Mayuresh Kathe

The likeliness to the BSD Devil is intentional, Darwin uses a lot of BSD code.
The Darwin kernel (Mach) is mostly pure, but the tools and utils layer
is all BSD.
Similarly, Hexley is basically the Platypus, but one *wearing* and
*bearing* the horned hat and trident.

Perl has the camel.
C and Smalltalk were created in those days when people weren't so much
interested in mascots :-)

Should I talk with Jon Hooper, the creator of Hexley?
Or should I wait till we have enough momentum from the list members?

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Clinton D. Judy <cdj@goh-inc.com> wrote:
> I think it looks cute. It's easy to identify with. My only gripe would
> be how loosely Hexley is tied with the BSD Devil; I think that would
> need to be either stronger, or just non-existant. But I don't use Darwin
> OS, so...
>
> Does Perl, C, or Smalltalk have a mascot? I'm trying to come up with
> starting points. In any case, a cute animal of some kind would be a
> winner here.

David A. Black

Hi --

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> The likeliness to the BSD Devil is intentional, Darwin uses a lot of BSD code.
> The Darwin kernel (Mach) is mostly pure, but the tools and utils layer
> is all BSD.
> Similarly, Hexley is basically the Platypus, but one *wearing* and
> *bearing* the horned hat and trident.
>
> Perl has the camel.
> C and Smalltalk were created in those days when people weren't so much
> interested in mascots :-)
>
> Should I talk with Jon Hooper, the creator of Hexley?
> Or should I wait till we have enough momentum from the list members?

You should talk to Matz. There's no official Ruby mascot unless Matz
chooses one or delegates someone to do so. And, mercifully, he has so
far done neither :-)

David

Intro to Ruby on Rails January 12-15 Fort Lauderdale, FL
Advancing with Rails January 19-22 Fort Lauderdale, FL
See http://www.r... for details and updates!