when are web frameworks needed?

goodieboy

With the recent birth of Phusion Passenger (and Rack), I'm wondering
if all of the Ruby web frameworks are as important as they used to be?
I mean, you can now create a simple web app using ruby, AND easily
deploy it, without a framework! I've been waiting forever to do this.

My question is, what app requirements make it so that using a
framework such as Rails/Merb is a good choice?

What kind of app would do better as a standalone Rack/Passenger?
(still using great gems like DataMapper, Hpricot etc. of course)

As an example, I have a simple ecommerce site I need to develop. I'm
thinking of using Passenger, DataMapper, ActiveMerchant and Erb. Would
it be so terrible to whip up my own lightweight router and controller
scheme for something like this? I can't imagine the code to support
the app would be more than a few hundred lines?

Matt

12 Answers

Fred J. McCall

"Adam Whyte-Settlar" <none@none> wrote:
:
:"conwaycaine" <conwaycaine@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
:news:JA7Rj.64692$vr3.8736@bignews2.bellsouth.net...
:>
:> I suppose polygamists do not enjoy the protection of either our laws or
:> our Constitution.
:>
:
:I don't know enough about it to comment at the moment. I've been following
:the story but after the state massacred the kids at Waco I'm waiting til the
:court cases before jumping to any conclusions.
:

Conway doesn't know enough about it to comment, either, but that
hasn't slowed him down any. What's wrong with you, Adam?

Oh, and "the state massacred the kids" is a rather odd way of stating
'their leader lit the place on fire', don't you think?

--
"This philosophy of hate, of religious and racial intolerance,
with its passionate urge toward war, is loose in the world.

deemsbill@aol.com

On Apr 29, 8:28 am, Fred J. McCall <fmcc...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> "Adam Whyte-Settlar" <none@none> wrote:
>
> ::"conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>
> :news:JA7Rj.64692$vr3.8736@bignews2.bellsouth.net...
> :>
> :> I suppose polygamists do not enjoy the protection of either our laws or
> :> our Constitution.
> :>
> :
> :I don't know enough about it to comment at the moment. I've been following
> :the story but after the state massacred the kids at Waco I'm waiting til the
> :court cases before jumping to any conclusions.
> :
>
> Conway doesn't know enough about it to comment, either, but that
> hasn't slowed him down any.  What's wrong with you, Adam?
>
> Oh, and "the state massacred the kids" is a rather odd way of stating
> 'their leader lit the place on fire', don't you think?

You don't think the DOJ had some responsibility/culpability in the
Waco fiasco?

Adam Whyte-Settlar

<deemsbill@aol.com> wrote in message
On Apr 29, 8:28 am, Fred J. McCall <fmcc...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> "Adam Whyte-Settlar" <none@none> wrote:
>
> ::"conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>
> :news:JA7Rj.64692$vr3.8736@bignews2.bellsouth.net...
> :>
> :> I suppose polygamists do not enjoy the protection of either our laws or
> :> our Constitution.
> :>
> :
> :I don't know enough about it to comment at the moment. I've been
> following
> :the story but after the state massacred the kids at Waco I'm waiting til
> the
> :court cases before jumping to any conclusions.
> :
>
> Conway doesn't know enough about it to comment, either, but that
> hasn't slowed him down any. What's wrong with you, Adam?
>
> Oh, and "the state massacred the kids" is a rather odd way of stating
> 'their leader lit the place on fire', don't you think?

You don't think the DOJ had some responsibility/culpability in the
Waco fiasco?

He's hilarious when he's on form eh?
"Their leader set the place on fire" ROFL!
What a total prick.

conwaycaine

"Fred J. McCall" <fmccall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "Adam Whyte-Settlar" <none@none> wrote:
> :
> :"conwaycaine" <conwaycaine@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> :news:JA7Rj.64692$vr3.8736@bignews2.bellsouth.net...
> :>
> :> I suppose polygamists do not enjoy the protection of either our laws or
> :> our Constitution.
> :>
> :
> :I don't know enough about it to comment at the moment. I've been
> following
> :the story but after the state massacred the kids at Waco I'm waiting til
> the
> :court cases before jumping to any conclusions.
> :
>
> Conway doesn't know enough about it to comment, either, but that
> hasn't slowed him down any. What's wrong with you, Adam?

And how many comments about this sordid affair have you made, oh Knowing
One?
You certainly haven't hesitated to fully and completely express your views.
Perhaps your dwelling on the other side of the Mississippi River gives you
special knowledge the rest of us do not have access to?

> Oh, and "the state massacred the kids" is a rather odd way of stating
> 'their leader lit the place on fire', don't you think?

You defend Waco?

deemsbill@aol.com

On Apr 29, 9:43 am, "Adam Whyte-Settlar" <none@none> wrote:
> <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote in message

> On Apr 29, 8:28 am, Fred J. McCall <fmcc...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

> > "Adam Whyte-Settlar" <none@none> wrote:
>
> > ::"conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>
> > :news:JA7Rj.64692$vr3.8736@bignews2.bellsouth.net...
> > :>
> > :> I suppose polygamists do not enjoy the protection of either our laws or
> > :> our Constitution.
> > :>
> > :
> > :I don't know enough about it to comment at the moment. I've been
> > following
> > :the story but after the state massacred the kids at Waco I'm waiting til
> > the
> > :court cases before jumping to any conclusions.
> > :
>
> > Conway doesn't know enough about it to comment, either, but that
> > hasn't slowed him down any. What's wrong with you, Adam?
>
> > Oh, and "the state massacred the kids" is a rather odd way of stating
> > 'their leader lit the place on fire', don't you think?
>
>   You don't think the DOJ had some responsibility/culpability in the
> Waco fiasco?
>
> He's hilarious when he's on form eh?
> "Their leader set the place on fire" ROFL!
> What a total prick.

Adam, it's quite likely Koresh, or some of his followers, set the
blazes. They were an Apocalyptic/Doomsday Cult just as much as the
Jonestown bunch.

Adam Whyte-Settlar

> You defend Waco?

It's Brain-dead Fred - *of course* he defends the Waco massacre. And every
other repulsive government act in recent history SFAICT.

And you ask 'why does it take so long for the pendulum to swing back'

There's your answer - hate-filled ill-informed fucks like Brain-dead Fred.
These gullible fools would rather die than admit that it is now obvious to
all that they have been wrong about ultra-right 'philosophy' all these
years.

The really sad thing is that there was, for the first time in some forty
years, some glimmer of hope that the world really was about to become a
better place. Then enter the neocon fucks and their hordes of Brain-dead
Fred cloned stooges. It will take at least another decade to undo the evil
unleashed by these unholy alliances.

conwaycaine

"Adam Whyte-Settlar" <none@none> wrote in message

> <deemsbill@aol.com> wrote in message
> On Apr 29, 8:28 am, Fred J. McCall <fmcc...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> "Adam Whyte-Settlar" <none@none> wrote:
>>
>> ::"conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> :news:JA7Rj.64692$vr3.8736@bignews2.bellsouth.net...
>> :>
>> :> I suppose polygamists do not enjoy the protection of either our laws
>> or
>> :> our Constitution.
>> :>
>> :
>> :I don't know enough about it to comment at the moment. I've been
>> following
>> :the story but after the state massacred the kids at Waco I'm waiting til
>> the
>> :court cases before jumping to any conclusions.
>> :
>>
>> Conway doesn't know enough about it to comment, either, but that
>> hasn't slowed him down any. What's wrong with you, Adam?
>>
>> Oh, and "the state massacred the kids" is a rather odd way of stating
>> 'their leader lit the place on fire', don't you think?
>>

> You don't think the DOJ had some responsibility/culpability in the
> Waco fiasco?
>
> He's hilarious when he's on form eh?
> "Their leader set the place on fire" ROFL!
> What a total prick.

I am beginning to understand why you Yurps do not care all that much for
American neocons.
They all do seem to have their heads stuck in the sands of time (Circa
1932-1945)

> "conwaycaine" <conwaycaine@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>

>> You defend Waco?
>
> It's Brain-dead Fred - *of course* he defends the Waco massacre. And every
> other repulsive government act in recent history SFAICT.
>
> And you ask 'why does it take so long for the pendulum to swing back'
>
> There's your answer - hate-filled ill-informed fucks like Brain-dead Fred.
> These gullible fools would rather die than admit that it is now obvious
> to all that they have been wrong about ultra-right 'philosophy' all these
> years.
>
> The really sad thing is that there was, for the first time in some forty
> years, some glimmer of hope that the world really was about to become a
> better place. Then enter the neocon fucks and their hordes of Brain-dead
> Fred cloned stooges. It will take at least another decade to undo the evil
> unleashed by these unholy alliances.

You know, I do not wish to place the nazi card but this sort of thinking
about the rightness of the "Authorities" and the wrongness of dissent is a
fast track to Concentration Camps.
(A dollar to the first person to say "Gitmo Hotel")

deemsbill@aol.com

On Apr 30, 10:18 am, "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> "Adam Whyte-Settlar" <none@none> wrote in message

> > "conwaycaine" <conwayca...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>
> >> You defend Waco?
>
> > It's Brain-dead Fred - *of course* he defends the Waco massacre. And every
> > other repulsive government act in recent history SFAICT.
>
> > And you ask 'why does it take so long for the pendulum to swing back'
>
> > There's your answer - hate-filled ill-informed fucks like Brain-dead Fred.
> > These gullible fools  would rather die than admit that it is now obvious
> > to all that they have been wrong about ultra-right 'philosophy' all these
> > years.
>
> > The really sad thing is that there was, for the first time in some forty
> > years, some glimmer of hope that the world really was about to become a
> > better place. Then enter the neocon fucks and their hordes of Brain-dead
> > Fred cloned stooges. It will take at least another decade to undo the evil
> > unleashed by these unholy alliances.
>
> You know, I do not wish to place the nazi card but this sort of thinking
> about the rightness of the "Authorities" and the wrongness of dissent is a
> fast track to Concentration Camps.
> (A dollar to the first person to say "Gitmo Hotel")

I'm not sure the rightness/wrongness of the authorities has been
established in these cases. Isn't it just as bad to always blame the
authorities as to never blame them? On second thought, I guess it's
better to assume the worst than sit back and be complacent.

Martin DeMello

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 9:07 PM, goodieboy <goodieBoy@gmail.com> wrote:

> As an example, I have a simple ecommerce site I need to develop. I'm
> thinking of using Passenger, DataMapper, ActiveMerchant and Erb. Would
> it be so terrible to whip up my own lightweight router and controller
> scheme for something like this? I can't imagine the code to support
> the app would be more than a few hundred lines?

Mostly that it's a well-understood, rather routine problem that you're
solving again and again for little benefit. Why not just drop in
Sinatra or one of the other lightweight frameworks and take advantage
of the accumulated design and debugging effort.

martin